What's new

Madras Café – Bollywood In Action

prakrit is the colloquial form of sanskrit.
sinhalese trace their origins to bengal.

so bengali or oriya might be more closer to sinhala than hindi

I think Oriya is the closest to the Sinhala language even the script is a bit similar

In addition Sinhala also have too many Tamil loanwords and several phonetic and grammatical features present in neighboring Dravidian languages, setting today's spoken Sinhala apart from its Northern Indo-Aryan siblings.

This Tamilization of the Sinhalese spoken language started after the 12th century because of the Chola invasion and subsequent events. Therefore it is not justifiable to say that Sinhalese is a member of Dravidian language family.

closest relative of Sinhala is perhaps the language of the Maldives.

That's because the Maldivians were once Sinhalese. Their language is a corrupt version of Sinhala language.

That is your hypothesis and your denial to accept Sinhalese as a Sanskrit language. You want to believe that we Sinhalese are descendents of Tamils so that you can justify Eelam and Tamils separatist struggle.

I think Oriya is the closest to the Sinhala language even the script is a bit similar

Well Oriya do not have this in their alphabet.
images
(ae)

I have heard this letter is unique to Sinhalese.

Prakrit was more than just a colloquial form of Sanskrit.Although they originated from Vedic Sanskrit There were also Dramatic forms Prakrit.Dramatic Prakrits were those standard forms of Prakrit dialects that were used in dramas and other literature in medieval India.Most important of them are Maharashtri Prakrit,Shauraseni Prakrit and Magadhi Prakrit.All of these forms became prominent after the decline of Pali and Sanskrit. Sinhala descended from a Prakrit from eastern India but way before it became a Dramatic Prakrit.So it has a lot of features from the Eastern Prakrits and also pali and Sanskrit.

True.

Bengali and Sinhalese have no similarities that I have found whilst interactions between my best friend and my ex girlfriend both of whom are Sri Lankan.

This Tamilization of the Sinhalese spoken language started after the 12th century because of the Chola invasion and subsequent events. Therefore it is not justifiable to say that Sinhalese is a member of Dravidian language family.

Never said that.

That's because the Maldivians were once Sinhalese. Their language is a corrupt version of Sinhala language.

Not true.Recent studies shows that Both languages, Maldivian and Sinhalese have branched off from a common mother language,a Prakrit From mainland India almost simultaneously.Maldivian is no corrupt version of Sinhalese,Such arguments are naive and chauvinistic in nature.

yeah but unlike this movie, most of the southern themed movies are uncouth and pedestrian. They are not showing south India but a version of south India that confirms to their stereotype.

Films always require some form of stereotypes,Its not bad as long as they are not negative.

I have always wondered howcome Sri Lanka was not part of British india and how is it that the SL did not become part of india at independece. anyyone care to share please?

Funny thing is, Pakistan and China had more military personals in Sri Lanka during the Civil War than India did :D.

No they didn't! Nowadays it's funny how every tom, dick and harry thinks he knows everything!

New Delhi initially supported LTTE in hope to use it as leverage in it's dealings with Colombo. But then situation got out of control, Prabhakaran stopped listening to India and India feared that it's Tamil population may rebel against Delhi if Prabhakaran succeeded in Sri Lanka.

So India sent 100,000 'Indian Peace Keeping Forces' to help Sri Lankan forces and fight LTTE. IPKF spent little less than 3 years in Sri Lanka helping Sri Lanka forces. But LTTE assassinated Rajiv Gandhi in 1991. Which changed the equations and lost whatsoever support it had in India and after that India wasn't involved in the civil war anyhow.

Nargis Fakhri was born in Queens, New York to a Czech mother and a Pakistani father. She spent most of her early life there, and her parents divorced when she was very young
Whatever I don't like that lizard lips Nargis Bakri. And I think she can speak urdu too like in rockstar movie

That is your hypothesis and your denial to accept Sinhalese as a Sanskrit language. You want to believe that we Sinhalese are descendents of Tamils so that you can justify Eelam and Tamils separatist struggle.

2500 years ago majority of the Tamils who lived in Sri Lanka converted to Buddhism. They decided that they should segregate themselves form the rest of the Tamil community due to religious differences. They embarked on a long and much difficult journey of changing their entire identity. They first changed their language, even that they chose an Indo-Aryan language despite of much difficulty in order to leave no trace behind of their previous identity. Then the Tamils decided to change their genetic background using their advanced knowledge of science and technology which is known as the greatest large scale fraud since the dawn of mankind. - Source: manlion's brain

Back
Top Bottom