What's new

‘Made in Bangladesh’ smartphones to rule the roost soon

More evidence as to how BD is diversifying away from garments.
IT outsourcing by domestic companies in BD has surpassed 1 billion US dollars - per capita slightly ahead of India right now.

Now please can you stop repeating that BD does not have any industry or strategy to build it up?
Industrial achievement is very low in BD. This thread is all about mobile phone assembling and manufacturing its parts. On the other hand, IT is a service sector and is different from the manufacturing of things. I will not discourage advancement in the IT sector. But, this sector cannot really provide many million jobs to the population.

Look at India, IT is 7.7% of GDP, yet only a few people are employed in this sector. BD needs the manufacturing base (not neglecting ICT) because this sector only can create jobs that will raise the standard of living of the entire population.

We should not follow bad and unsuccessful Indian examples. We should follow examples of other successful countries like Japan, Korea, Taiwan and now China. All these countries started with textiles and moved to manufacturing one after another.

Probably, Vietnam is trying to emulate these countries and I believe, as the years go on, its manufacture as a percentage of GDP will rise. Since BD lacks innovation and technology, therefore, it may have to depend upon many more FDIs. It is the same as in Vietnam.

Industrial achievement is very low in BD. This thread is all about mobile phone assembling and manufacturing its parts. On the other hand, IT is a service sector and is different from the manufacturing of things. I will not discourage advancement in the IT sector. But, this sector cannot really provide many million jobs to the population.

Look at India, IT is 7.7% of GDP, yet only a few people are employed in this sector. BD needs the manufacturing base (not neglecting ICT) because this sector only can create jobs that will raise the standard of living of the entire population.

We should not follow bad and unsuccessful Indian examples. We should follow examples of other successful countries like Japan, Korea, Taiwan and now China. All these countries started with textiles and moved to manufacturing one after another.

Probably, Vietnam is trying to emulate these countries and I believe, as the years go on, its manufacture as a percentage of GDP will rise. Since BD lacks innovation and technology, therefore, it may have to depend upon many more FDIs. It is the same as in Vietnam.

Yes and BD is making progress in areas like electronics and shipbuilding for mass employment.
As for low-skilled manufacturing the 100 SEZs should help that are currently being set up.
BD does need to ramp up it’s manufacturing industrial capacity but it cannot do this without the infrastructure which is being built now.
Yes it may not turn out perfectly but progress is being made.

We need to focus on low value to medium high manufacturing. IT is good but then only create jobs for high skilled and for bd we have 2 million young ppl enter work force every year. Only way to solve is go for manufacturing left and right. This should be the strategy for next two decades.
Dont try to copy india. They already have 70 percent public debt and in lower middle income trap. They wont be seeing 7 percent growth in this decade. Bd should follow south east asian proven economic model. Which start with low value manufacturing and slowly move up with value additions.

joking aside BD is one of the few countries in Asia where local mobile phone companies are not being destroyed by Chinese and Korean competition.
As long as bd government keep up import tax and became creative to support local companies we will be fine.

We need to focus on low value to medium high manufacturing. IT is good but then only create jobs for high skilled and for bd we have 2 million young ppl enter work force every year. Only way to solve is go for manufacturing left and right. This should be the strategy for next two decades.
Dont try to copy india. They already have 70 percent public debt and in lower middle income trap. They wont be seeing 7 percent growth in this decade. Bd should follow south east asian proven economic model. Which start with low value manufacturing and slowly move up with value additions.

As long as bd government keep up import tax and became creative to support local companies we will be fine.

BD is actually following E Asian model with attempts to create huge conglomerates like Walton and Beximco. So far it looks like BD is succeeding.
This model is more successful than SE Asian model.
Millions of low-skilled jobs will be provided by the 100 SEZs.

Last edited:

Don't confuse China with Japan, SK with Taiwan Province. We have different national development strategies.

China has been pursuing "the most complete industrial system in the world" for 70 years.

Yes, China can produce TV and cars and radio, etc (since 1950s). Nuclear weapons from the 1960s, satellites and nuclear submarines from the 1970s. But... China also produces aviation engines, gas turbines, heavy rocket,
submarine launched ballistic missiles and intercontinental ballistic missiles. and if I want, I can export ballistic missiles to Saudi Arabia. and supercomputers, high-speed rail, Oh, and the TBM you're using...

In short. we don't like to compare Japan, South Korea or even Taiwan. Different national strategies.

Don't confuse China with Japan, SK with Taiwan Province. We have different national development strategies.

China has been pursuing "the most complete industrial system in the world" for 70 years.

Yes, China can produce TV and cars and radio, etc (since 1950s). Nuclear weapons from the 1960s, satellites and nuclear submarines from the 1970s. But... China also produces aviation engines, gas turbines, heavy rocket,
submarine launched ballistic missiles and intercontinental ballistic missiles. and if I want, I can export ballistic missiles to Saudi Arabia. and supercomputers, high-speed rail, Oh, and the TBM you're using...

In short. we don't like to compare Japan, South Korea or even Taiwan. Different national strategies.
China due to its size can be compare with USA. Japan korea or Taiwan are small also client state of USA. They dont have independent foreign policy like china. So i agree with you.

joking aside BD is one of the few countries in Asia where local mobile phone companies are not being destroyed by Chinese and Korean competition.
Please you are still in the basic phone market. Look at this. 7.6 million smart phones and 80% in the range $75-100. It is still not market for Chinese companies. So they have not arrived in full scale. Lol.

India smartphone shipments were 158 million beating US for the first time in 2019 at 153 million. That is what 20 times yours?
20200128_222348.jpg

Last edited:
Please you are still in the basic phone market. Look at this. 7 million smart phones and mostly in tje range $75-100. It is still not market for Chinese companies. So they have not arrived in full scale. Lol.

India smartphone shipments were 158 million beating US for the first time in 2019 at 153 million. That is what 20 times yours?

You aware that Walton sells phones for up to 300 US dollars?

Off topic to the thread. I am quite well off but I got a 100 dollar mobile phone and that's more than enough for me. I always suggest everyone to try/practice minimalism.
Sure. If it was not for incessant boasting from Bongos, I would agree. Although my phone is about $450 and I love it.

BD is actually following E Asian model with attempts to create huge conglomerates like Walton and Beximco. So far it looks like BD is succeeding.
This model is more successful than SE Asian model.
Millions of low-skilled jobs will be provided by the 100 SEZs.
I’ve a question regarding this. What’s the difference between south East and est Asian development model? Which countries follow what?

Off topic to the thread. I am quite well off but I got a 100 dollar mobile phone and that's more than enough for me. I always suggest everyone to try/practice minimalism.
Me personally I prefer iOS and so I have to spend big chunks but I am still using my 6 plus as it is being serving my needs. Lately however the cost to repair outweighs the value of the device so I’ll be upgrading next year for another half of a decade I guess

I’ve a question regarding this. What’s the difference between south East and est Asian development model? Which countries follow what?

I think SE Asian development model emphasises FDI at all cost whereas E Asian minimises FDI initially to allow local companies to grow and be able to compete with foreign brands in the long run.
Look what happened to Indonesian phone makers when they allowed in FDI too early into that sector as it destroyed their own companies.
Only now is BD slowly allowing in FDI into sectors like electronics as Walton and other home brands are strong enough to compete.

I think SE Asian development model emphasises FDI at all cost whereas E Asian minimises FDI initially to allow local companies to grow and be able to compete with foreign brands in the long run.
Look what happened to Indonesian phone makers when they allowed in FDI too early into that sector as it destroyed their own companies.
Only now is BD slowly allowing in FDI into sectors like electronics as Walton and other home brands are strong enough to compete.

Actually Indonesian smart phone producers are not actually destroyed but their presents are not dominant anymore, and it happen since about 2-3 years ago. It is not because of Chinese companies set any factory here, they just sell their phone from China directly.

It is IMO due to import tariff which is set in zero after Asean China FTA becomes effective in 2012. It makes local brand has to compete directly with Chinese brand like OPPO that is now market leader in Indonesian smart phone market.

The FDI impact is actually more affecting our electronics giant like Polytron since Japanese and Korean set up their factories here. And it is also due to their brand image which is superior compared to our local brand.

Actually our biggest electronic company, Polytron is still exist, but they are not market leader anymore in Indonesia.

Other Indonesian electronic giant is Gobel Panasonic. A company made by Indonesian entrepreneur, Rahmad Gobel, but later merge with Panasonic from Japan.

Here is the example of Polytron new products:

Their smart phone

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom