What's new

M777 HOWITZER DEAL DONE

so as per earlier order india was to order 145 M777 dont know how many in the current one so would just 20 odd chinooks can do the job in times of war ?

You don't have to..Most of these will be posted in places for defense purpose only.In case of War,you only going to be needed 1 or 2 battery or so to airlift to the forward areas to support Military thrust.

so how much per piece ?

On 13 May 2015, The defence ministry approved Rs 2,900 crore to buy 145 American M-777 ultralight howizers from USA. Slight price increase, I think it's about 145 pieces initially , and later 500 more pieces from Mahindra & Mahindra assembly line which will be the chief integrator in India.

In the month of Feb this year BAE had said about their plans to build the gun in India after MoD said India can order upto 500 more such guns.

The M777 as i know( much limited knowledge here ) was better than its Singaporean competitor ( now black listed ), as it had a better range with conventional M107 round , slightly better rate of fire and was lighter by some 1,200 kg ( quite a big diff) , but the Singapore one had its own Power plant providing it little self movement .

Rest I think @PARIKRAMA would be in a better position to explain the difference between two.

It is required for strengthening our northern and nort eastern border. We can generate massive response on north eastern border.i case of any mischief. Must buy weapon in vital list.

Yes, this item is in most advance stage of procurement...still not signed...
..with discussion on U2, Jap sub, S400...F16, F/A18, Rafale, Project 75I..and scores of other, none moving to their logical conclusion...

what makes you think we wont go excalibur ..... M777 without excalibur is like having beers without snacks :D

Excalibur ammunition is TOO expensive

Wikipedia tells 68000 dollars ie 45 LAKHS Rupees per shell

Now an artilerry regiment will loose their yearly quota of beers and snacks
with one shell

Excalibur ammunition is TOO expensive

Wikipedia tells 68000 dollars ie 45 LAKHS Rupees per shell

Now an artilerry regiment will loose their yearly quota of beers and snacks
with one shell
No one will use entirely Excalibur for daily operations,not even Uncle Sam. This particular round will be fire for high priority targets only.

And my question is that weather India will go for another batch of this howitzers?

No one will use entirely Excalibur for daily operations,not even Uncle Sam. This particular round will be fire for high priority targets only.

I think India is Buying M 777 to carry Guns on Mountain tops BY Helicopters
so that we can target 30 KM inside enemy territory from Top of a Peak say Tiger Hill

That is a huge advantage as compared to firing Bofors from the Ground

However We just cannot afford excalibur

Maybe Krasnopol -- Russian ammo can be used with this

We already use Krasnopol

The important question is , can Mi17 carry it in mountains.... like ~3000-4000 metres.

That remains to be seen

Let the Gun reach India ; This test will also be done

Any way Artilerry Guns can also be disassembled and carried
But then There is a question of Warranty :p:

Otherwise we will use Chinooks

Average height of Pir Panjal is over 5000 metres.

That remains to be seen

Let the Gun reach India ; This test will also be done

Any way Artilerry Guns can also be disassembled and carried
But then There is a question of Warranty :p:

I do not think this platform needs to be tested, personally. It has been rigorously used and proven by the marines and US Army.

Anyway , do these Mi17s are able to carry the 105mm light field guns ?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom