What's new

Lungi March to Baridhara Park

I have only seen rikshaw walahs wear lungi in Kokata, specially around park circus and Welesley.

It is good that even though we could not quite learn many of the good things from the western society, such as discipline and mannerism or talking politely with others, at least we have learned how to wear pants and shirts. Why not use this western clothes in the work places? Wearing it in the houses and photo session with Lungi is OK. But, a person and his work itself are disrespected by the onlookers when he wears lungi during work. It is dangerous, too.

Some of our men wear Shalwar Kameez. All our women wear this dress. But, this dress is quite different from Lungi. Lungi was needed in the villages during all the centuries of floods. But, now its necessity is down because there is little flood and there are thousands and thousands of kms of Pucca roads even in the villages. Even people in the villages, those wo are a little educated, use pants and shirts. This is the present trend and I cannot criticize it.

Absolutely we should take the good but not at the expense of looking down upon our !

Wearing Pant Shirts, however, does not, in my opinion, fall under the same category as talking politely to someone for the latter is a universally accepted good whereas the former is nothing more than a piece of cloth that we wear !

My only contention is that a Pant-Shirt is no better or worse than a Lungi or any of our other traditional attire. It is only that our subconscious has accepted progress & modernity to be intrinsically linked with wearing pant-shirts in a work-place that we've begun to think that somehow wearing a Lungi or any of our other attire in a work-place environment is the height of non-professionalism & a throw back to a bygone era.

And my friend its not even about a Lungi, I'm sure there are other native dresses to Bangladesh as there are to Pakistan, India, China & countries across the board which might not have the pitfalls that a Lungi does but do we wear them to work ? No...why not ? Because we look down upon them as something unsuited to a modern workplace environment because thats what we've accepted in our subconscious; we've accepted that Pant-Shirt to be the yardstick by which we measure every other work-place attire.

And this is true for a myriad things across the board. Our choice is not really a rational one if you were to think about it because many of our traditional dresses are perfectly suited to being worn in a work-place environment....its more about conformity & subconsciously aspiring to 'be' like those more successful than us have we even picked up such things that didn't, in all honesty, contributed to their success !

This blind imitation must stop & our self-respect must kick in whereby we move forward by taking the best in a rational manner & yet not forget who we are in the process of it.

Absolutely we should take the good but not at the expense of looking down upon our !

Wearing Pant Shirts, however, does not, in my opinion, fall under the same category as talking politely to someone for the latter is a universally accepted good whereas the former is nothing more than a piece of cloth that we wear !

My only contention is that a Pant-Shirt is no better or worse than a Lungi or any of our other traditional attire. It is only that our subconscious has accepted progress & modernity to be intrinsically linked with wearing pant-shirts in a work-place that we've begun to think that somehow wearing a Lungi or any of our other attire in a work-place environment is the height of non-professionalism & a throw back to a bygone era.

And my friend its not even about a Lungi, I'm sure there are other native dresses to Bangladesh as there are to Pakistan, India, China & countries across the board which might not have the pitfalls that a Lungi does but do we wear them to work ? No...why not ? Because we look down upon them as something unsuited to a modern workplace environment because thats what we've accepted in our subconscious; we've accepted that Pant-Shirt to be the yardstick by which we measure every other work-place attire.

And this is true for a myriad things across the board. Our choice is not really a rational one if you were to think about it because many of our traditional dresses are perfectly suited to being worn in a work-place environment....its more about conformity & subconsciously aspiring to 'be' like those more successful than us have we even picked up such things that didn't, in all honesty, contributed to their success !

This blind imitation must stop & our self-respect must kick in whereby we move forward by taking the best in a rational manner & yet not forget who we are in the process of it.

Well there is no distinction of western dress or eastern dress in today's world. It could be traditional european or traditional sub continental or eastern asian dress. I am talking about traditional. Nobody in west wear their own traditional dress anymore. Same goes for sub continent. Things has changed and dresses and fashions also got globalized. I love my Jeans and its not western.

You in a lungi! A single flash of your hairy thighs would kill us all yaara! :fie: Oye! Did you call out our dear trollock in the Iran-Kashmir thread? Kyun sata raha hai bechari ko? :omghaha:

Pant, Shirt is no western traditional dress, it's just easy to use office attire introduced after industrial revolution. It has become famous world wide because of it's ease of use.

Well there is no distinction of western dress or eastern dress in today's world. It could be traditional european or traditional sub continental or eastern asian dress. I am talking about traditional. Nobody in west wear their own traditional dress anymore. Same goes for sub continent. Things has changed and dresses and fashions also got globalized. I love my Jeans and its not western.

Where one has been side-swept with the other !

The Chinese simple dress as they often show in the movies, a simple Pyjama with a Shirt, with Embroidery on it for women - I see no reason why it couldn't be considered elegant, decent & easy to wear enough to be worn in offices - But is it....? I don't think so. The same goes for the Shalwar Kameez or even the Dhoti.

The Chinese simple dress as they often show in the movies, a simple Pyjama with a Shirt, with Embroidery on it for women - I see no reason why it couldn't be considered elegant, decent & easy to wear enough to be worn in offices - But is it....? I don't think so. The same goes for the Shalwar Kameez or even the Dhoti.

The women here primarily wear saris and salwars to work. But ya the men have to follow the office dress code. Agree with the point of the Chinese clothing, it is prim and proper enough to be considered as work wear.

A few words after what @iajdani said in his last post. You have certainly watched Hollywood movies based on stories 1500 or 2000 years old. Do you see any shirt and pant wearing Gora Sahabs in those films? It is an absolute NO. It means western society and dresses have evolved during many centuries. What we see as western dress today is not actually the dress they used to wear even 300 years ago. Ages change and with this the dress codes also change.

In the modern age people have to work hard and compete with the machines that were also developed by the Goras. It is not possible to work in the machine shops/factories efficiently without wearing fitting clothes. You are a Vaderra in Pakistan with thousands of acres of land. Come out and see the real world. Only then you will understand the necessity of pants and shirts, which you dislike because these have been developed in Europe. Like English, these dresses have also become internationally accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few words after what @iajdani said in his last post. You have certainly watched Hollywood movies based on stories 1500 or 2000 years old. Do you see any shirt and pant wearing Gora Sahabs in those films? It is an absolute NO. It means western society and dresses have evolved during many centuries. What we see as western dress today is not actually the dress they used to wear even 300 years ago. Ages change and with this the dress codes also change.

In the modern age people have to work hard and compete with the machines that were also developed by the Goras. It is not possible to work in the machine shops/factories efficiently without wearing fitting clothes. You are a Vaderra in Pakistan with thousands of acres of land. Come out and see the real world. Only then you will understand the necessity of pants and shirts, which you dislike because these have been developed in Europe. Like English, these dresses have also become internationally accepted.

Vadera in Pakistan with thousands of acres of land - Oh how I wish ! :omghaha:

Dude I'm just a student of accounting & finance without a dime to my name let alone thousands of acres of land !

And no I don't despise this because it came from Europe or anything of the sort; I'm talking about the rationality of our choice - What is the rationale behind choosing this & shunning our own ? Ease of use, elegance...what ? What aspect of the Shalwar Kameez or a myriad of our other dresses stops us from being fully functional & what, pray tell me, about them betrays a lack of professionalism or dare I say it - Elegance, Suave, Panache ?

What I'm talking about is how condescending it is & would be quite humorous, were it not sad, that we'd look down upon our own clothes, ban their usage in our offices, conform to some one else's definition of professionalism, civility, elegance or suave & even, at times, chastise our own for asking 'why or why not ?' ! What is this.....?

I could understand wearing a Kula, a Pug or some other form Turban dotted with diamonds, rubies & sapphires or a Khusa or some other footwear lined with gold is both woefully pretentious & possibly quite dysfunctional but what about our other dresses that we wear everyday or we used to, which are fully functional & very elegant in their own way ? On what basis do we brand them to be unsuitable or not-befitting a cultured, civilized & competent Professional whatever their field maybe ? What this irrational choice betrays is our lack of pride in ourselves & a lack of rationality on our part to ask ourselves - Fine....does this help us move forward or are we just doing it because those other guys are doing it ?

P.S Waderras are a Sindhi Thing - I'm in Lahore, Punjab !

P.P.S This isn't a 'I hate Europe' thing; I would ask the same questions if we'd be wearing Arab, Chinese or African attire.

P.P.P.S I wasn't referring to it as something of a European thing that may or may not have evolved for that is immaterial - I was talking about our response to it irrespective of when or where it came from !

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think any Indian owned firm prevent it's employees to wear salwar kamiz or any other decent attire. However western companies have their own standard. I work for an American firm and they have their own business formal and business casual I have to follow. However I like my kurta jeans as much as I like my T shirt with Pink Floyd poster.

Dunno how it is in India but here, for most multi-nationals & otherwise medium-to-large local companies - Its Formal Attire that is compulsory otherwise you have to get permission from the HR Department on wearing something else or sometimes growing a beard, on religious grounds which is almost always granted.

Damn I just touched on wrong place and it got my post deleted, I gotta learn touching right places.

Back
Top Bottom