Select which of these books you've read

• Total voters

Jungibaaz

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Calling all Tolkien fans!

I've been meaning to make this thread, dedicated to all Tolkien's work and the Tolkien universe. For all fans, films or books.

Share your multimedia, videos, pictures, wallpapers, reading lists and general Tolkien related discussion.

1430250015106.jpg

So I've read LOTR, The Hobbit, The Children of Hurin, The Silmarillion. Currently reading the Unfinished Tales, and I will soon read either the first of the Histories or the adventures of Tom Bombadil.

@Armstrong @RescueRanger @Emmie

Last edited:

1:18 Prologue
5:12 The Shire
8:45 The Black Riders
11:19 The Fellowship
13:37 The Bridge of Khazad-Dúm
16:05 Lothlorien
18:05 Isengard
19:14 The Breaking of the Fellowship
22:08 Sméagol
23:14 Rohan
25:42 Shadowfax
26:52 Treebeard
29:08 The Last March of the Ents
30:27 Flight from Edoras
32:10 The Lighting of the Beacons
34:38 Anduril
36:53 The Destruction of the Ring
38:15 Mount Doom
39:32 The Return of the King
42:40 Concerning Hobbits (short)
43:36 The Grey Havens

@Nihonjin1051

1:18 Prologue
5:12 The Shire
8:45 The Black Riders
11:19 The Fellowship
13:37 The Bridge of Khazad-Dúm
16:05 Lothlorien
18:05 Isengard
19:14 The Breaking of the Fellowship
22:08 Sméagol
23:14 Rohan
25:42 Shadowfax
26:52 Treebeard
29:08 The Last March of the Ents
30:27 Flight from Edoras
32:10 The Lighting of the Beacons
34:38 Anduril
36:53 The Destruction of the Ring
38:15 Mount Doom
39:32 The Return of the King
42:40 Concerning Hobbits (short)
43:36 The Grey Havens

@Nihonjin1051

Wonderful, my friend , my favorite has always been "the road home " the epitome of the wayward bound soldier's route. I suppose we can imagine the spirit of fallen heroes walking to paradise with this tune playing....carrying them into the land of the most beloved of beloved.... Allah , Most Merciful and Infinite Love.

Ah, I am getting sentimental. Forgive me.

The Silmarillion is just amazing, something which should be read first to give you a better grasp of the universe.

Brilliant book, but really, very hard for any ordinary person to pick and make it through to the end without being bored or confused, I found that reading summaries beforehand or learning more of the lore helped before reading it.

Alternatively, there are some rather brilliant summaries about The Silmarillion, like this one:

Many more parts of course...

Wonderful, my friend , my favorite has always been "the road home " the epitome of the wayward bound soldier's route. I suppose we can imagine the spirit of fallen heroes walking to paradise with this tune playing....carrying them into the land of the most beloved of beloved.... Allah , Most Merciful and Infinite Love.

Ah, I am getting sentimental. Forgive me.

I too love these works beyond anything I could describe. Nay, getting sentimental is to be expected!
25:00 minutes in Rohan theme and Concerning Hobbits (5:12), probably my favourite parts.

Last edited:
I too love these works beyond anything I could describe. Nay, getting sentimental is to be expected!
25:00 minutes in Rohan theme and Concerning Hobbits (5:12), probably my favourite parts.

This song brings me to tears, and i can cry like a school girl when i hear this. Memory floods my mind of my grandfather. I think of the summers gone past, the many winter trips to his house. His door , always , open to me, the warmth of his embrace, and that smile of his. A smile that can melt winter's chill.

A las, he has gone from me, back home to the Almighty. But i am hopeful, yes, I am, in knowing that when it is my time, the Almighty shall reward me, with my wish, of being reunited with my beloved Ojisan (Grandpapa), where I shall be in whose company i shall not know loneliness or be bereft in spirit.

A simple soldier's wish, i suppose.

0202b119fb00562216be0762ddc7bdb6.jpg

Brilliant book, but really, very hard for any ordinary person to pick and make it through to the end without being bored or confused, I found that reading summaries beforehand or learning more of the lore helped before reading it.

Alternatively, there are some rather brilliant summaries about The Silmarillion, like this one:

Many more parts of course...

Wow! I didn't know these summaries were on YouTube. I'll be listening to them, thank you.

This song brings me to tears, and i can cry like a school girl when i hear this. Memory floods my mind of my grandfather. I think of the summers gone past, the many winter trips to his house. His door , always , open to me, the warmth of his embrace, and that smile of his. A smile that can melt winter's chill.

A las, he has gone from me, back home to the Almighty. But i am hopeful, yes, I am, in knowing that when it is my time, the Almighty shall reward me, with my wish, of being reunited with my beloved Ojisan (Grandpapa), where I shall be in whose company i shall not know loneliness or be bereft in spirit.

A simple soldier's wish, i suppose.

0202b119fb00562216be0762ddc7bdb6.jpg

Powerful story my friend, strong of you to share it indeed.
I would say, hearken to the words of Gandalf:

End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
- J.R.R Tolkien

End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
- J.R.R Tolkien

:-)

Take comfort in knowing Tolkien was a devout Christian, the man had many debates on the subject of religion and existence with other Oxford dons of the time like C.S Lewis. I've heard somewhere that Tolkien based the character of the Treebeard the Ent on C.S Lewis, as this taller tree like man with a large, rolling voice.

That reminds me of one of my favourite poems of his, the Ent and the Entwife.

Back
Top Bottom