What's new

Lord of the Rings and the Tolkien Universe

Select which of these books you've read

• Total voters
Have only read the tranlated Chinese version of LOTR, Hobbit and Silmarillion.

If time permits i'd like to read English ones, may have different feels.

Have only read the tranlated Chinese version of LOTR, Hobbit and Silmarillion.

If time permits i'd like to read English ones, may have different feels.

Definitely some of Tolkien's poetry, dialogue and descriptions may not be translated that well.
His literary genius is quite something.

He also uses an olden form of English, that is just not used these days, 'whither', 'thither', 'hence', 'thence' and use of grammar considered incorrect or unorthodox by today's standard.

Watch the Lord of the Rings film series, the extended versions. And then the Hobbit series if you feel like it.
The books to start with are the Lord of the Rings (3 volumes, all one story), and The Hobbit, which is more of a children's book, but significantly shorter.

But definitely watch LOTR films extended version and then report back here for further instruction. :D

Thanks, that will take some time. I'll be back.

Definitely some of Tolkien's poetry, dialogue and descriptions may not be translated that well.
His literary genius is quite something.

He also uses an olden form of English, that is just not used these days, 'whither', 'thither', 'hence', 'thence' and use of grammar considered incorrect or unorthodox by today's standard.
Thanks, I'll definitely try original ones some day. It must be difficult for native Chinese like me though, with all the long confusing names to memorize and different form of English.

The quality of the Chinese translation were pretty good actually, they too borrowed many classical/ancient Chinese expressions to honor Tolkein's work with a classy feel. But yeah I could sense some essence of the language got lost in translation. It's just that I read LOTR in high school when my English could not function too well outside of exams at the time.:rolleyes:.

I'm one of of the avid follower of this series..

I studied a lot of books all the books except Adventure of Tom Bombadi..

But I want to add two more..

1.Parma Endorian(Somewhat a Short Essay but useful for newbies)

parma.png

2.Atlas of the Middle Earth(If really someone wants to understand entire geography,Battle Plan and Execution etc,this is an essential book.I suggested it to @Nihonjin1051 as far as I remember)

atlas02.jpg

Of course just reading the books are not enough.You've to study anything you can get,Tolkiengateway,lotr.wikia or even various forums on net available.Especially forum,from where you can get excellent unknown information and analysis from some knowledgeable members which you can't find anywhere..

just like few days ago,I've find a great story about Legolas' mother and their history(Perhaps somebody collected some info and then wrote a very nice story abou it).In LOTR,even games,pictures and interpretation matters.Like some members analysed and found that possibly one of the Nazguls is a female,a ruler from Numenor.

Last edited:
I'm one of of the avid follower of this series..

I studied a lot of books all the books except Adventure of Tom Bombadi..

But I want to add two more..

1.Parma Endorian(Somewhat a Short Essay but useful for newbies)

View attachment 262567

2.Atlas of the Middle Earth(If really someone wants to understand entire geography,Battle Plan and Execution etc,this is an essential book.I suggested it to @Nihonjin1051 as far as I remember)

atlas02.jpg

Of course just reading the books are not enough.You've to study anything you can get,Tolkiengateway,lotr.wikia or even various forums on net available.Especially forum,from where you can get excellent unknown information and analysis from some knowledgeable members which you can't find anywhere..

I'll check these two out. And yes, I've been studying him, as opposed to just reading his books. My reading list, is still a work in progress.

Great idea Jungibaaz!

Will be back soon -stop- in a bit of a rush -stop- Tay.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Ed Sheeran "I See Fire"

Tolkien languages anyone?

He made quite a few of them. These three were written in the tengwar script:
  • Sindarin
  • Quenya
  • Black Speech
And as an added extra, Khuzdul (the language of the Dwarves) is written in runes.

Allthatisgolddoesnotglitter-complete-2.png

There are also some transcribers out there that will write English mode tengwar script:

Tengwar Transcriber

These are some of the Valar. Whom Eru created as ones of the Ainur before the creation of the physical world (Ea), the universe.

Namo or Mandos, lord of prophecies and doomsman of the Valar.
Yavanna who loves all things that grow, she it was that made the two trees Telperion and Laurelin.
Aule, the craftsman who also made the Dwarves, he wrought and shaped earth matter too.
Melkor, the fallen, the mightiest of the Valar who had a share in the abilities of all others who became the dark lord and fought all that was good.
Manwe, the Kind of Arda.
Varda, the mistress of light, who created the lights upon the lamps of the Valar and then the Sun and moon.
Ulmo, lord of waters, flowing rivers and the sea.
And Orome the the hunter.

11100451_10205214861948985_224907070_n.jpg

I am not a huge fan like you @Jungibaaz , but i find the hobbit series quite interesting. Have done a little research about it too. I haven't gotten out of Lord of the rings and Hobbit universe, much to look at.

You can take this image if you want and use it as your DP:
396416_370902136258133_1221502398_n.jpg

TheFellowshipoftheRing_web_sig.jpg

good read...

I read the hobbit and LOTR, but I'm ashamed to admit it but I never got around to finishing The Silmarilion. I got through a few pages than life commitments took over. :cry:

Has anyone here played the middle earth mod for the total war series?

I read the hobbit and LOTR, but I'm ashamed to admit it but I never got around to finishing The Silmarilion. I got through a few pages than life commitments took over. :cry:

It's never too late to continue, still reading or watching anything is enough to qualify any one of us as fans.

Indeed I have, it's a very well made mod I must say. A lot of thought, care and nerd-knowledge of Tolkien went in to making it.
I am not a huge fan like you @Jungibaaz , but i find the hobbit series quite interesting. Have done a little research about it too. I haven't gotten out of Lord of the rings and Hobbit universe, much to look at.

You can take this image if you want and use it as your DP:
View attachment 269233

View attachment 269234

good read...

Nice share. All fans are welcome here, you don't need to have read these books like I have.

1419405975713.jpg

I too have a collection of interesting wallpapers/pictures like the one of Aragorn.

I assume you are talking about this mod. Absolutely loved it especially when playing Tharbad.
The Fourth Age: Total War mod - Mod DB

Tolkiens work as a whole is genius although it does annoy me the way he constantly uses terms like "men of the west" as representations of the everything pious and virtuous, and eastern cultures represent evil. I dont know if this was intentional. However if one ignores this east vs west, evil vs good theme, then the level of detail into which Tolkein goes with regards to Middle Earth is phenomenal. I have read several other "medieval fantasy" books such as "A Song of Ice and Fire" aka Game of Thrones, but Martin does not even come close to the level of detail and simple literary genius of Tolkien.

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about this mod (http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-fourth-age-total-war).? Absolutely loved it especially when playing Tharbad.

Tolkiens work as a whole is genius although it does annoy me the way he constantly uses terms like "men of the west" as representations of the everything pious and virtuous, and eastern cultures represent evil. I dont know if this was intentional. However if one ignores this east vs west, evil vs good theme, then the level of detail into which Tolkein goes with regards to Middle Earth is phenomenal. I have read several other "medieval fantasy" books such as "A Song of Ice and Fire" aka Game of Thrones, but Martin does not even come close to the level of detail and simple literary genius of Tolkien.

LoTR and GoTR are puppies compared to Malazan Book of Fallen - if you haven't read those then you probably don't know what epic fantasy means.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson

Back
Top Bottom