What's new

London 2012: Which countries dominate each Olympic sport?

sad that a 1.2 billion population can only bring out 2 gold medaks and six athletes, where a 5 million pop like Germany can bring out more than India :tdown:

Yes you are right man..that's a shame of india..not only india its entire subcontinent(India,Pakistan,Sri Lanka,Bangladesh) coz we r lack in this field..we have to give up our cricket mania to gain medals in olympic.. :coffee:

tbh i find olympics so boring i never watch it , euro 2012 is much more exciting

Yes you are right man..that's a shame of india..not only india its entire subcontinent(India,Pakistan,Sri Lanka,Bangladesh) coz we r lack in this field..we have to give up our cricket mania to gain medals in olympic.. :coffee:

May be they should make cricket an olympics sport

Me No although i live just 15mins away from the stdium i prefer watching it on Tele

i definitely dont want to miss that final what is your prediction of that outcome? india win?

It will be a tough one. though i hope India get atleast one medal in it, 2 would be awesome :D 10m air rifle is one of the few events in which India is expecting a medal.

another sport in which India China rivalry would be in display is Women's badminton. saina nehwal (WR 4) is in good form this year. she had lost just 6 matches this year... five times to four Chinese rivals. i'm expecting atleast a bronze from her. In semis she'll face one of the top 3 ranked chinese opponents. Out of these 3 saina has never defeated Wang Yihan in five meetings.

May be they should make cricket an olympics sport

That does not change the reality man..We have the capability to compete many other sports other than cricket..We have the good archer team,we have 2-3 good boxer,2 worldclass shooter plus saina Nehwal..now lets see what happens in Olympic..

But for adding something new into olympic my personal opinion is Chess not Cricket..:azn:

I want to see some Kung Fu in the Olympics....we'll bring in some Shaolin masters..

You clearly don't understand how a sport gets into the Olympics program. A sport has to be practiced "world wide" at 75 countries with formal governing bodies and receive at least half of the IOC member's vote to get in(It used to be 2/3). China has done a poor job of popularizing Wushu around the world, so it will stay a China-only sport, just like the American Football.

Judo and Taekwondo has gone an extra-length to "dumb-down" their sports and make them easy enough for foreigners, so that there are many European champions and one of the most celebrated US Olympic competitor is a Taekwondo athlete. Wushu by comparison is simply too complex for foreigners, so no non-Chinese takers.

Karate may make it into the Olympics in the next 10 years, Wushu will probably not in your life time. Muay Thai has a better chance than Wushu.

You clearly don't understand how a sport gets into the Olympics program. A sport has to be practiced "world wide" at 75 countries with formal governing bodies and receive at least half of the IOC member's vote to get in(It used to be 2/3). China has done a poor job of popularizing Wushu around the world, so it will stay a China-only sport, just like the American Football.

Judo and Taekwondo has gone an extra-length to "dumb-down" their sports and make them easy enough for foreigners, so that there are many European champions and one of the most celebrated US Olympic competitor is a Taekwondo athlete. Wushu by comparison is simply too complex for foreigners, so no non-Chinese takers.

Karate may make it into the Olympics in the next 10 years, Wushu will probably not in your life time. Muay Thai has a better chance than Wushu.

The one contact sport that deserve to be in Olympics is MMA. It would give a great preview of people coming into UFC. Brazil and the US should win the most medals.

The one contact sport that deserve to be in Olympics is MMA. It would give a great preview of people coming into UFC. Brazil and the US should win the most medals.

The only Olympic sport in which Taiwanese nationals have won gold medals to date is Taekwondo, so you guys should stick with that.

The only Olympic sport in which Taiwanese nationals have won gold medals to date is Taekwondo, so you guys should stick with that.

I'm was not here to cheer for Taiwan. But to encourage inclusion of a sport that is gaining popularity.

I'm was not here to cheer for Taiwan. But to encourage inclusion of a sport that is gaining popularity.

MMA is too violent by the Olympic standard. There is a controversy about boxing in the Olympics, so forget about the MMA.

At least Wushu in its current form is non-violent(Basically a Chinese gymnastics).

MMA is too violent by the Olympic standard. There is a controversy about boxing in the Olympics, so forget about the MMA.

What is the Olympic standard? MMA is a becoming even more popular than boxing and its no more violent than boxing. Its a better representation of fighting in real life than boxing. MMA should definitely be included over some of the existing sports.

Sports such as modern pentathelon should be removed and replaced with sports that are up and coming. Even Greaco Roman wrestling, judo and Taekwondo are not as popular as MMA nowadays.

What is the Olympic standard?
The athletes must be sufficiently protected. This is why olympic boxers wear a head gear and gloves, and taekwondo competitors wear a head gear, a body armor, and additional armors in the leg.

Now, MMA competition in a Taekwondo like armor package(This is what would be required) wouldn't be fun.

And there are no MMA governing bodies in at least 75 countries across four continents(Minimum required) and a global body to represent the sport to the Olympic committee.

TAEKWONDO SHOULD BE DROPPED FROM THE OLYMPICS

Taekwondo Faces Olympic Eviction
http://dailykarate.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/taekwondo-faces-olympic-eviction/

Taekwondo stayed in the Olympics by a safe margin at IOC vote back in 2009. Each four year, the IOC gathers to pick the next host city and which sports to keep and which one to replace.(Every spport has to be put up for a vote) The margin of approval back in 2009 was sufficiently large that the fear is going away and Taekwondo is taking a root as a permanent Olympic sport, because the medal distribution is even, and the fact that Taiwan's only Olympic golds were in Taekwondo is the proof of that.

Back
Top Bottom