What's new

London 2012 Olympics: China's Yi Siling wins first gold medal of the Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
@faithfulguy thats what makes a medal special in india.... If i ask any chinese name all athelits who won medals then no one would answer (unless until cut and paste).... in india medalist becomes hero. He gets attention of not only india but many other countries.... india can do far better but we dont allow cruel coaches who sits on 3 year old girl/boy back and punches.... we are improving year by year without the training like athelits gets in china.... india already did well in olympics and in boxing our 3 boxers in medals contention along with 5 wrestlers. 3 shooting too coming up and 800M We have tintu luka who does well.... Our 2 boxers were robbed in day light by judges or we wud had got more medals by now. Same think in shooting. We lost narrowly.... So am happy by india's performence so far.... Coming days alot important for india.

I know that you are a so-called democrazy country and so is USA. I am wondering why USA can achieve so many but you get nothing.

shining India actually is the worst place for a child to live in the world.

Indians claim that they dont allow cruel coaches to sit on 3 year old child and USA,Korea,Japan,UK and germany dont allow that either. but those countries get so many golds. why does India get nothing? are they inferior to their democratic counterparts?

People getting in the pathetic pool of off topic rant making trolls.

That's because swimming has a lot of medals to win, and it's pretty much the same swimmers who kept grabbing those golds. Not saying they don't deserve the golds or anything, they deserve everything they've earned. Over half of US's golds are from the pool, but those golds just aren't as meaningful as the ones they've won from other sports.

It's pretty ridiculous to Keep racing the same winners against the pretty much same losers. Not to mention this Olympics has shredded some medals from table tennis, where China can definitely bag a few more from there.
Now that is genuinely -- to put it politely -- a dumbass argument.

Other than the team relay, swimmers compete against at least two things:

- Other competitors from other countries,

- And time which is directly related to records and recognition.

But unlike 'combatant' contests like fencing or judo, contests like swimming, track or gymnastics pits the contestant more against his/her own physical limits and against nature than against each other. For any event in the foot races, why do we need to race multiple contestants at the same time? Why not just race EACH contestant at a time and let his/her own physical prowess take its course against nature? It was only in the very early days of the Olympics, as in when only the ancient Greeks did it, did fellow contestants matter. But with the advent of time keeping and records, even though the psychological motivation factor exists in pitting multiple racers against the same course but at the same time is necessary to motivate individual racers, the reality is that the primary goal for each racer is not to beat his competitor but to beat the current record time.

If it was YOU who was standing on the podium with any medal, you would not say that the swimming contest is trivial and its awards meaningless.

Now that is genuinely -- to put it politely -- a dumbass argument.

Other than the team relay, swimmers compete against at least two things:

- Other competitors from other countries,

- And time which is directly related to records and recognition.

But unlike 'combatant' contests like fencing or judo, contests like swimming, track or gymnastics pits the contestant more against his/her own physical limits and against nature than against each other. For any event in the foot races, why do we need to race multiple contestants at the same time? Why not just race EACH contestant at a time and let his/her own physical prowess take its course against nature? It was only in the very early days of the Olympics, as in when only the ancient Greeks did it, did fellow contestants matter. But with the advent of time keeping and records, even though the psychological motivation factor exists in pitting multiple racers against the same course but at the same time is necessary to motivate individual racers, the reality is that the primary goal for each racer is not to beat his competitor but to beat the current record time.

If it was YOU who was standing on the podium with any medal, you would not say that the swimming contest is trivial and its awards meaningless.

That's why "world record" exists, and I never denied the fact that those swimmer don't deserved the medals.

A dumbass argument would be you trying to take my original statement to a whole different level, where there's almost no connections to it.

A new "time record" that's being set by the a fast US swimmer is one thing. But racing that fast swimmer against almost the same slower ones (proven by races), to win over and over is another, since the "gold" is not determined by setting a new record, but who finishes first.

The meaning of most of those "golds" from the pool is no more than a GTR spanking a Civic, including in reverse, repeatedly.

That's why "world record" exists, and I never denied the fact that those swimmer don't deserved the medals.

A dumbass argument would be you trying to take my original statement to a whole different level, where there's almost no connections to it.
And that level is ignorance.

A new "time record" that's being set by the a fast US swimmer is one thing. But racing that fast swimmer against almost the same slower ones (proven by races), to win over and over is another, since the "gold" is not determined by setting a new record, but who finishes first.

The meaning of most of those "golds" from the pool is no more than a GTR spanking a Civic, including in reverse, repeatedly.
This tells me you missed the point completely. With the advent of time keeping, we can race individual racers one at a time and the awards goes to the ones with the three lowest times. All race times will be kept secret until all racers completed their runs. The only pressure in the racer's head will be the knowledge of the current time record and the uncertainty of who could beat his or hers later.

But that is neither how we race nor how we want to race. We want the physical presence and psychological pressures of fellow competitors as well as the pressure of knowledge of the current time record. So despite the fact that the awards are given to the top three finishers, EACH of the contestants are more focused on breaking the time record than on finishing first.

This is where you missed the point completely: That you will always have the opportunity to race against a time record than against a fellow racer, especially if that racer lives in another continent and is well known in the sport, but you will always know the immutable record of what he/she has done and trains for it. Or rather against it.

You will never know who is going to be next to you on the starting line. If the world's best tripped while getting out of the bathtub and died before the meet, you will still have what he accomplished to race against. Not against the world's second best next to you. Not against the unknown several spots down the line. The advent of time keeping elevated international sports to entirely new levels in that such knowledge compelled new training techniques, products, and even humans, across the world.

I know you want to downplay the Americans' accomplishment out of nationalistic fervor for China, but yours is a feeble criticism and seemingly reflect no experience at formal competition in either combative sports or else. Try yours on the Chinese Olympians and see how much they will laugh at you.

Meaning is subjective.

Humans aren't cars, and by comparing the two you are implying that American Swimmers have some sort of inherent natural advantage against other swimmers.

Women hockey China 2-1 G Britian

fu08048464.jpg

_62040969_gbwomenhoc.jpg

The positions of the teams in group A are:

Nethelands 12 points
G Britian 9
China 7
S Korea 3
Belgium 2
Japan 1

The important last 2 matches to decide which 2 will qualify to semi final are:

China vs Japan
Netherlands vs G Briitian

China should win against Japan which is the weakest team of the group. So China will increase by 3 points to 10.

Now the crucial result in the G Britian's match against Netherlands is:
if GB draw, they get 1 point and level in points with China (assuming China beat Japan) ***
if GB win, they are qualified at the expense of China
if GB lose, China will be in final 4.

Check this one out if Netherlands will do GB a favour!

*** can anyone tell what will decide the team to qualify into the next round if 2 teams equal in points? Is it the better goal difference or better head-to-head record in the tournament?

The greatest matches in the men's badminton. Battles of the Kings!
8:00 pm BJ time

Men's singles, the best two men in the circuit:

Super Dan vs Lee CW

131757695_51n.jpg

131760331_101n.JPG

1322234_M01.jpg

1322252_M01.jpg

71907592.jpg

Lin and Lee

Men's doubles @ 9:15 BJ time or after Lin/Lee 's match

Cai Yun / Fu Haifeng vs Boe / Morgensen (Denmark)

1319348_M01.jpg

1324582_M01.jpg

Go Go China!:china:

:rofl:

Are you kidding me?

GB can then kiss field hockey goodbye!

Dutch women team in hockey is just like Phelps in the pool in his prime time, invincible!

Field Hockey to the Dutch is like Ping Pong to China, THE national sport. I started playing it when I was what, 11 or 12? almost every friggin Sunday. All chics play hockey, for god sake a team formed entirely by my ex could perhaps send GB home, let alone the national team. :rofl:

and in the bronze medal men's singles match

Chen Long vs Lee Hyun Il

1327369_M01.jpg

1327366_M01.jpg

Lee Hyun Il

Go China!:china:

And we got our 13th Bronze from Chen!

Congratulations!

Bronze medal men's doubles fight between:

Koo / Tan (Malaysia) vs Chung / Lee ( S Korea)

p.php

Koo / Tan

1319005_M01.jpg

Chung / Lee

And the S Korean pair prevail! Congratulations!

:rofl:

Are you kidding me?

GB can then kiss field hockey goodbye!

Dutch women team in hockey is just like Phelps in the pool in his prime time, invincible!

Field Hockey to the Dutch is like Ping Pong to China, THE national sport. I started playing it when I was what, 11 or 12? almost every friggin Sunday. All chics play hockey, for god sake a team formed entirely by my ex could perhaps send GB home, let alone the national team. :rofl:

I know so the Netherlands are leading the group and they are hot in gold! Let the teams play at the best so there is no more negaive news out of this Netherlands vs GB match!

I know so the Netherlands are leading the group and they are hot in gold! Let the teams play at the best so there is no more negaive news out of this Netherlands vs GB match!

if we could 3 teams in women hockey, the rest of the world can forget about medals. is that strong. oke, once in a while Germany and Belgium ( just another "Dutch" team) could put up some resistance. When the mowen team won by just 1 goal against S Korea, it almost caused national media outrage.

a cuontry with same size of population with us but get zero. Amazing & unbelivable

:no:

That's officially called "shining", after you take out national elec backout ceremonies and Monsoon seasons of course. :lol:

Boxing Zou Shiming our gold medal hope in Men's Light Fly (49kg) beats Cuba into the quaterfinals

1325576_M01.jpg

Zou Shiming of China (R) in action with Yosbany Veitia Soto of Cuba during the Men's Light Fly (46-49kg) Boxing on Day 8 at ExCeL.

and also look for Xu Lijia in sailing laser radial who is now ranking no. 2 after taking the lead in round 9 yesterday!

Go China!:china:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom