What's new

Lockheed's F-16 Is Likely Forerunner For India's Next Fighter Jet Order

it's still got room for upgrades mainly avionics and weapons wise. it's still a 4th gen fighter though, but it's better than the Tejas which is also a 4th gen fighter.

could also make the F-16XL which can carry twice the ordnance 40% further, and this is before the upgraded engine and CFTs, so probably 60% further.

F-16_and_F-16XL_aerial_top_down_view.jpg

There is he'll lot of difference between both.. no comparison between them.. one is matured and other one is not.. so what are you trying to say..

Had Tejas been ready and operating at the desired specifications, this tender won't have happened :-(
We have requiments and rooms for all three F16/Gripin - Tejas - Rafale . Which will eventually replace Mig 21/27. Tejas will take more time than presumed. IAF chief said it will be by 2021 MK1A can be inducted. Rafale for 36 it will take another 6-7 years for full order. But we will have to retire huge chunk of these Soviet fighters. . .

So this second line for single engine.

Oh bhai , Who is asking you to Replace old fleet with Rafale ? there is a Reason your Govt start-up and keep Tejas Alive for all these years ...

Tejas man , for replacing a significant Fleet of MiG-21's .. and Possibly Jaguar based on future Upgrade on Tejan Mk1 ... no one is asking you to limit yourself on just Rafale and it will be stupid anyway, what i am saying buying another same generation Aircraft that is F-16's will not be a sensible idea, unless Indian Govt just make this decision to honey Trap, American Companies ...

I wont say or worry for now IAF be acquiring 6-7 Sqs , but lets just stay with another 36 after the first batch hits India ..
Rafale will see another follow on order in near future may be by 2018/19 again with Offset clause. F16 can be best fighter against Chinese airforce. But gripin gives us advantage of surprise with its characteristics. But same can be achieved with whole new customized features and enhanced capabilities like SAAB AESA Radar, nee EW suit, long range Meteor missile in to F16 airframe. May be with enhanced engine performance too.

it's still got room for upgrades mainly avionics and weapons wise. it's still a 4th gen fighter though, but it's better than the Tejas which is also a 4th gen fighter.

could also make the F-16XL which can carry twice the ordnance 40% further, and this is before the upgraded engine and CFTs, so probably 60% further.

F-16_and_F-16XL_aerial_top_down_view.jpg

There is he'll lot of difference between both.. no comparison between them.. one is matured and other one is not.. so what are you trying to say..

Let me put it in perspective. F16 with AESA procured from Sweden. May be armed with Meteor missiles. F16 at present form whatever the upgrades are US can't afford to TOT share some of its technologies. We recently saw Saab offered its specific Radars for India. May be they senses that India could go for f16. Large number of F16 could become a small potent mini airforce. PAF totally put it strategy on some 76 f16s as their front line fighter. Now think what 100+(may be 200) most advanced F16 with better AESA from SAAB can provide India.

Gripin in itself a western state story of Tejas. Weapons, engines avionics etc assembled into an air frame. So I don't think SAAB will be worried if we select F16. F16 offers superior features that gripin. Proven platform. Best we can get for single engine fighter. Now transfer of whole assembly line to India gives us additional advantages over PAF which depends on F16.

Only advantage of gripin over f16 is its Meteor Missiles. If we could customize f16 with SAAB advanced AESA Iam sure we could fit it Meteor too. Now that's makes it a sweet deal for all. Europe Sweden Israel American Indians.

Hope we go for F16s keeping Chinese in mind. Gripin could be outperformed by J11s and advanced J11s and su fighters. But with Larger quantities F16s and create havoc to both our neighbors
bro what if i told you in last 9 years on this forum i am reading too much of this talks that and now bored yar
if ABC buy this then DEF will be in mess
if DEF buy this ABC will be in pressure
so much of talks and defense purchases and long term deals and TOT .

now i am humanist to hell with these toys man nothing will happen in fact now i feel ad on these waste of money of poor s.Asian public . sach to ye hai 200 f-16 ya 4000 f-35 hum ghareeb log subah kam per jay gay apny bewi bachoo ke liye daal roti kamany . is sab ka humari zindgi per koi aser nhi parta . these countries will not be welfare developed modern countries in our life time and we have to die in this mess .sadly . humy apny apny desh se kuch nhi mily ga siway zaleel hony ke .

We are buying these single engine jets because they are supposed to be cheap, which the Mig-35 is.
We buying single engine fighter not because of cheep but also for less maintenance and can be produced and operated in very large numbers like Mig21.

saying F-16 is mature and still has growth in certain areas, what don't you get?? is it the right plane for India?? no, but is it good enough to handle Pakistan F-16s,JF-17, and China's J-10...yes it is.

it's all about getting India more birds fast.

bro what if i told you in last 9 years on this forum i am reading too much of this talks that and now bored yar
if ABC buy this then DEF will be in mess
if DEF buy this ABC will be in pressure
so much of talks and defense purchases and long term deals and TOT .

now i am humanist to hell with these toys man nothing will happen in fact now i feel ad on these waste of money of poor s.Asian public . sach to ye hai 200 f-16 ya 4000 f-35 hum ghareeb log subah kam per jay gay apny bewi bachoo ke liye daal roti kamany . is sab ka humari zindgi per koi aser nhi parta . these countries will not be welfare developed modern countries in our life time and we have to die in this mess .sadly . humy apny apny desh se kuch nhi mily ga siway zaleel hony ke .
True. We have more poor people in our country, Asian subcontinent. We need to spend it on our people. But sadly if we don't keep our Armed forces updated we won't be having a independent country. Game has changed in India. I guess this time it won't be another MMRCA saga again. This gift is serious and these are threat based procurements. Strategic in nature.

Of course we have to keep our diplomatic problems in minds will importing weapon systems. Sweden and France gives us one up at EU. US Israel gives us global reach. And Russia helps us in getting best transfer of technology. Like it or not that's how we play

Only advantage of gripin over f16 is its Meteor Missiles. If we could customize f16 with SAAB advanced AESA Iam sure we could fit it Meteor too. Now that's makes it a sweet deal for all. Europe Sweden Israel American Indians.

Any radar can be used with any missiles, given that both parties agree to share their source codes, or they themselves do it for us.

saying F-16 is mature and still has growth in certain areas, what don't you get?? is it the right plane for India?? no, but is it good enough to handle Pakistan F-16s,JF-17, and China's J-10...yes it is.

it's all about getting India more birds fast.

Will F-16s be cheaper than Gripen?

Any radar can be used with any missiles, given that both parties agree to share their source codes, or they themselves do it for us.
Sure US not gonna share AESA technology and their sources codes etc. F16 would become potent platform for IAF only of they comes with very long range missiles like Meteor. I don't think our military planners will ever have a doubt with F16 airframe.

Su-35 is $20-25M. That's how cheap they have become.

PAK FA S1 is $50M.
24 su35 was 2 Bil some 3 years ago.

Pakfa will cost more than 100 mil per plane alone

I would think so... between $50 million to $70 million each built in India.

and please people don't tell me India can't built thwem in India and can only assemble them... let me remind you Turkey and Japan has built hundreds of F-16s, but India would have to buy the radar,avionics, and engine from U.S suppliers
Radar avionics weapons can be purchased with TOT from Israel Sweden France/UK /eu. Of US can't give us TOT on Critical technologies

Will F-16s be cheaper than Gripen?

I would think so... between $50 million to $70 million each built in India.

and please people don't tell me India can't built thwem in India and can only assemble them... let me remind you Turkey and Japan has built hundreds of F-16s, but India would have to buy the radar,avionics, and engine from U.S suppliers

if GoI is really planning to buy something, choose Gripen latest version and ask them to share critical tech and use it in Tejas MK1a and AMCA coz HAl/DRDO sucks at any job and they always delay . f16 (LM) will never share its critical tech coz they are Americans(cunning by nature) whereas Swedish will do coz they need us.

Back
Top Bottom