What's new

Lockheed's F-16 Is Likely Forerunner For India's Next Fighter Jet Order

Tejas man , for replacing a significant Fleet of MiG-21's .. and Possibly Jaguar based on future Upgrade on Tejan Mk1 ... no one is asking you to limit yourself on just Rafale and it will be stupid anyway, what i am saying buying another same generation Aircraft that is F-16's will not be a sensible idea, unless Indian Govt just make this decision to honey Trap, American Companies ...

I wont say or worry for now IAF be acquiring 6-7 Sqs , but lets just stay with another 36 after the first batch hits India ..

Tejas lacks in combat radius, and the Mk2 does promise to rectify that, but that's a long 6 years wait from now. Frankly, I'm
shocked to hear F-16 leading the race, I thought Gripen is a much better platform. Unless there is significant transfer of technology.

Tejas lacks in combat radius, and the Mk2 does promise to rectify that, but that's a long 6 years wait from now. Frankly, I'm
shocked to hear F-16 leading the race, I thought Gripen is a much better platform. Unless there is significant transfer of technology.

Lets not go any further , we are talking about IAF will be inducting a New platform and it will be Costly, F-16's still maintain a 60mil price tag on it ..tejas will take time mature , just wait for it .. but IAF will be dried on with funds if you add both Rafale and F-16's back to back ..

why not ??? your country will be dried by French if you actually planning on to replace all those 250+ Mig's with Rafale , and F-16 (even if you go for blk 52/60 ) it will be a 60mil a pop man ... a small Air force with better Equipped Aircrafts and at least 3 level Air Defense layers will be more than enough ..

One thing for sure...India will have one of the largest Air force in the world. Even Indian Navy will have a very large Air Force fleet of its own. Indians believes in everything big. So a smaller Air Force is out of question, even if the large fleet is ineffective.

Lets not go any further , we are talking about IAF will be inducting a New platform and it will be Costly, F-16's still maintain a 60mil price tag on it ..tejas will take time mature , just wait for it .. but IAF will be dried on with funds if you add both Rafale and F-16's back to back ..

The Mig-35s are as low as 20M.

Not exactly, I believe the budget will be increased in coming sessions. Out defence budget is mere 40 billion, which is just 8% increase over the duration of 5 years. Keeping the growth in economy in mind, the budget should be close to 55-60 billion.

And which single engine fighter would Russia offer?
A Su-35 with guarantees that only one engine will be functional at any specific time?
The competence of the journalist is questionable.

I doubt that an RFI has been sent out.
Not a word from SAABs Press Dept.

I feel Russian name has been included for just the namesake, as Russians have been the traditional military suppliers. The competition is between F16 and Gripen

One thing for sure...India will have one of the largest Air force in the world. Even Indian Navy will have a very large Air Force fleet of its own. Indians believes in everything big. So a smaller Air Force is out of question, even if the large fleet is ineffective.

That make sense, but it was my Opinion that IAF can play smart here ,to stick with Rafale , American are just trying to milk you guys ...

Not exactly, I believe the budget will be increased in coming sessions. Out defence budget is mere 40 billion, which is just 8% increase over the duration of 5 years. Keeping the growth in economy in mind, the budget should be close to 55-60 billion.

It surely will but Air crafts are not the only thing you want to Put your money on right ? upgrading , maintaining the old fleet , SAM , AWAC's , Radars , and so many other things , if you just keep stuck with Rafale and F-16's it wont be any good ..

I want Gripen NG but i'm pretty sure its going to be f 16. Can anyone compare how good is SABR APG 83 vs elta 2052 vs selex raven ?. AESA would be a game changer knowing the experience of Northrop Grumman’s in aesa. In their brochure its written :
Approximately 95 percent of SABR’s mode suite comes directly from the F-35’s AN/APG-81 AESA radar.

for what ? Su-30's are there for specific role ? what benefit will mig-35 will bring which you wont have with Su-30MKK ?

We are buying these single engine jets because they are supposed to be cheap, which the Mig-35 is.

F-16 production in India is an intriguing idea, fraught with risks, of course, but also many benefits. The question is: how many frames will India have to buy to get the production line, including ToT? Is 200 frames out of the question?

F-16s can be a stop gap measure until the Tejas are ready. In addition, India will be getting much FDI in defence sector, including management expertise and technology. India is not going to get anything bleeding edge, but it might be enough to spur its own efforts.

Like many posters have mentioned before, India needs fighters.

Back
Top Bottom