What's new

Lockheed Martin signs pact with Tata to make F-16 planes in India

So you have smoke but you are saying there is no fire? There is no need to sign MOU with GOI. As it won't go the mou way. The fighter plane requirement is there and there is also a need to create industries. Be it SaaB or LM both need to invest on Indian base before a deal will be signed.

It's a step in that direction.

Nothing happens without MOU involving GOI = Bottom line.

The efforts, money will be as wasted as those in Chabahar seaport Iran recently. When the Iranian turned towards the Russians.

Don't count your chicken before they are hatched.
This Tata agreement bears no value.

India will also have the chance to export the F-16 that is flown by air forces around the world, the joint statement said. Some 3,200 of these planes are being flown by 26 countries and the model that is being offered to India will be Block 70, the most modern of all the F-16s.

so - will countries import f-16s from the original maker (USA) or from a new manufacturer (India)? with almost all export variants of F-16s customized to some extent, specific to the target country, will India have the knowhow to do those customizations?

Nothing happens without MOU involving GOI = Bottom line.

The efforts, money will be as wasted as those in Chabahar seaport Iran recently. When the Iranian turned towards the Russians.

Don't count your chicken before they are hatched.
This Tata agreement bears no value.

I am not counting anything nor hatching. A simple research can tell you that these things are spearheaded by GoI. No one will dare move an inch without prior approvals. In the case of LM the approval is in principle, and GOI is waiting to see what anybody can offer.

Like I said it's a step in that direction. And mark my words LM will supply F16s albeit with an assurance to help refine Tejas.

When US has made India the strategic partner, it had been approved from day 1
@Dash

What if the deal goes sour due to India asking the US that future F-16s be exported to India friendly countries?

The whole plant will produce 150 to 200. After that what?

Will Trump agree?
Hell no.

Again. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

I am not counting anything nor hatching. A simple research can tell you that these things are spearheaded by GoI. No one will dare move an inch without prior approvals. In the case of LM the approval is in principle, and GOI is waiting to see what anybody can offer.

These companies were also waiting on the SP model to finalize, which the gov did like couple of weeks ago. You're now seeing several big bids inching forward.

Anything substantial in black & white on above or only speculation & supposition?

Are you privy to any private or classified document that says so?

Why do you want others to indulge into research of their own is so simple to understand - that you don't have any facts on your own.

Why would you send me or others for such a wild goose chase?

Simply because you have no substance to corroborate what you are stating.

So India has given signal that it will choose F16 to replace Migs

When US has made India the strategic partner, it had been approved from day 1
@Dash

What if the deal goes sour due to India asking the US that future F-16s be exported to India friendly countries?

The whole plant will produce 150 to 200. After that what?

Will Trump agree?
Hell no.

Again. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

First of all it wont be manufacturing from scratch in India from first day. may be last 30 / 40 will be manufactured with say close to 70% domestic parts. they will be supplied in batches. first 50 fly away from US, then next 50 with CKD, then next batch with 30% indigenisation. only the last batch will have close to 70% domestic parts.

Secondly about Trump, lets say LM will supply F 16 at the rate of 30 per year, it will still take close to 8 years to complete the initial order of 200. Trump will have exhausted his tenure by then, if at all he gets elected the second time, and i highly doubt that.

I wonder what Russia plays into this equation .
I don't think they have much to say, they couldn't offer any single engined fighters, because they simply don't have any. The worst thing they could do is sell some more weapons to Pakistan.

American, British, French, Russian, Swiss aircraft with IAF.....a logistical nightmare from an engineer's point of view but I guess they might have a system that works out for them...

I don't think they have much to say, they couldn't offer any single engined fighters, because they simply don't have any. The worst thing they could do is sell some more weapons to Pakistan.
Well if they negotiated that FGFA deal i could see India scraping this deal.

Lol at the Indians for making a old plane which we already have for decades. Have fun....

Thts right, not a very wise choice for Indians, unless they want to overwhelm their enemies by sheer numbers ònly of this obsolete aircraft, their sukhoi 30 is far too advanced and potent than this obsolete aircraft i wonder what made them buy this.

American, British, French, Russian, Swiss aircraft with IAF.....a logistical nightmare from an engineer's point of view but I guess they might have a system that works out for them...

You have a very valid point mate, indians seem to be messing up.

Back
Top Bottom