What's new

Lockheed Martin signs pact with Tata to make F-16 planes in India

The main objective is to make a good Hot start engine with high T/W ratio in India and use it in good numbers on all Indian planes-

Kaveri and Safran are collaborating with each other to make a decent engine that could power LCA mk1, mk1a which is uses GE404- Rafale if manufactured in India may use Kaveri-Safran Engine-

India has been lobbying for new variant of F414 know how and make in India- with ToT as much possible- This was much before any one in their wildest of dreams thought about a new tender on single engine- F-16 seems to be the American demand for that to happen-

We will only know in 4-5 year when the picture becomes clearer- But the main focus area off late has been turbofan engines, Be It France, USA, Russia and even Rolls Royce recently came for partnership- the 5th generation deal with Russia is stuck due to Engine issues- India wants next Gen-Engine with Make in India and India is ready to invest in development, But Russian side has been reluctant to allow full ToT-

So if India chooses F-16, they will get ToT on an engine which cannot be used on an F-16...

If India chooses the F-16IN, GE will sell the engine.
(If it uses the same engine as the Block 60 for UAE)
If India chooses the Gripen E, GE engine will also sell the engine.

What's in it for GE?
If I were a GE shareholder, I would crucify management if they give away the crown jewels
so Lockheed Martin can sell F-16s.
This is not how US companies operate.
I think India might get a licensing deal to produce the GE F-414,
with critical parts made in the US.

I am surprised that neither SU30MKI nor Tejas is flying with Indian engine yet, consider what Indian MIC is capable of.

I do understand there are lot of troll posts from your side, so not sure if this is that or genuine question.

I will bite.

DRDO/GTRE's Kaveri Engine is not something as same as Russian Engine. Yes, I am saying Indian objective is to develop something far superior to any Russian engines that India uses now. Completely different design principles. Reason being the different conditions that IAF operates.

I suggest you to read about the engine bit more. Not all jet engines around the world are the same.

Obviously, Russia does not and will not help India developing this. Kill the Goose that lays golden egg? No!.

I do understand there are lot of troll posts from your side, so not sure if this is that or genuine question.

I will bite.

DRDO/GTRE's Kaveri Engine is not something as same as Russian Engine. Yes, I am saying Indian objective is to develop something far superior to any Russian engines that India uses now. Completely different design principles. Reason being the different conditions that IAF operates.

I suggest you to read about the engine bit more. Not all jet engines around the world are the same.

Obviously, Russia does not and will not help India developing this. Kill the Goose that lays golden egg? No!.
Thank you for the explanation. India certainly has a very ambitious goal on engine development. Good luck with your endeavor. :)

Thank you for the explanation. India certainly has a very ambitious goal on engine development. Good luck with your endeavor. :)

you are struggling to build engines too. The turbine technology in china is also not very mature.

you are struggling to build engines too. The turbine technology in china is also not very mature.
That is why I was surprised to see Indian progress was claimed to be far ahead of China. of course I am not saying it should be impossible. I am just surprised.

Lockheed Martin share price. June, 2012: $85
June, 2017: $281

• Lockheed Martin has signed intend to help for pseudo stealth mk2 LCA. Thisbis not made public as of now.
  • This is not F35 level or F22 rather its a retrofit of the final design whatever than maybe.
  • This is part of the F16 deal from Day 1 so mandatory offsets of R & D investment part.
  • As said earlier new strategy is initiated for conventional capability/limitation.
  • Specifically Several captains from have been summoned to HQ to talk about the low high attitude performance for the F16.
  • As said earlier, in the end F16's may not be used in higher attitudes where LCA's and other crafts such as MKI/Rafale will be used.
  • A new methodology and objective is being formulated for the mix of assets by HQ.

F16, Gripen - Make In India Single Engine Aircraft - News and possibilities

The plot thickens.

Questions Arise as US-India F-16 Deal Seeks to Get Airborne

A lucrative aviation deal between US-India firms to manufacture F-16 fighter jets in the south Asian nation has attracted criticism that old technology is being "dumped."
US defense contractor Lockheed Martin has taken further steps to secure a deal which would relocate the manufacture of F-16 fighter jets to India. News of the multi-billion dollar agreement with Indian industry giant Tata Group came as Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met with US President Donald Trump in Washington on Monday, June 26.

A press release issued by both firms stated that India will be able to "produce, operate and export the multi fighter F-16 Block 70 aircraft."

The fighter jet will be exclusively built in India, making the south Asian nation the world's sole F-16 manufacturer, and comes as part of Modi's drive and vision to bolster Indian business dubbed "Make in India."

While the deal is awaiting official endorsement — and it faces stiff competition from rival firms including Sweden-based Saab which builds the Gripen fighter — it would phase out India's 200 Russian-made MiGs which currently form the backbone of India's aviation defenses.

Some defense experts have meanwhile slammed the decision stating that the US is off-loading out-of-date aviation technology onto India. Weapons expert Brahma Chellaney on Twitter asked:

Many have also asked if the technologically more sophisticated US-made F-35 fighter jet, which can evade air radar, renders the F-16 jet system old technology.

Speaking exclusively to Sputnik, former F-16 Taiwanese fighter pilot Eric Hsu said:

"Your first option should be the F-35… it's invisible to radar and can avoid 'lock down.' "

Now employed as a civil aviation pilot with Taiwanese flag-carrier China Airlines, Hsu added:

"Airplanes are just a vehicle to extend your weapon and your attack range. If your weapons are more advanced it doesn't matter what airplane you fly."

Hsu, formerly based at the Taiwanese Air Force base in Taitung and a keen member of the island's aircraft community, said that much about technology depended on your opponent's capabilities:

"F-16s are old technology, but who is the enemy? If they are more advanced then it becomes old," Hsu told Sputnik.

The F-35 is part of a new round of "fifth generation fighter jets" which includes Russia's PAK-FA as well as China's Chengdu J-20.

Speaking to Reuters news agency in relation to the potential US-India deal MiG General Director Ilia Tarasenko said that his company had been cooperating with India for more than 50 years, providing planes, service and training centers, and remained upbeat about further sales.

"We are not afraid of rivalry with the US in this market," he stated. "On the contrary, we believe that attempts by other players to establish cooperation with this country help us to better understand their needs and better meet them."

He said MiG's new MiG-35 fighter jet was 20 percent cheaper to operate over its lifespan and offered countries capabilities that went beyond those of regular "fourth-generation" planes.

https://sputniknews.com/military/201706271055008259-us-india-f16-jet/

Lockheed Martin’s ‘Make In India’ plan: A golden opportunity?

10333915104_dad5a63d4a_k.jpg

https://theindianeconomist.com/lockheed-martin-proposes-a-make-in-india-plan-golden-opportunity/

Back
Top Bottom