What's new

Lockheed Martin may sell fifth generation F-35 to India

notting hill

Reaction score
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) US defence major Lockheed Martin Tuesday said it may consider selling the fifth generation fighter aircraft F-35 if approached by the Indian Air Force (IAF).
“We will consider this if the IAF approaches us,” Orville Prins, vice president for Lockheed Martin India’s operation, told reporters at the sixth edition of Defexpo India.

The F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter (JSF) is being developed by Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co for the US Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps and Britain’s Royal Navy.

Beside the US, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Singapore and Turkey have joined hands to develop the F-35. Lockheed Martin is the lead developer.

The stealthy, supersonic multi-role fighter was designated the F-35 Lightning II in July 2006. The JSF is being built in three variants: a conventional take-off and landing aircraft (CTOL) for the US Air Force; a carrier variant (CV) for the US Navy; and a short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) aircraft for the US Marine Corps and the Royal Navy.

India is jointly developing its fifth generation fighter aircraft with Russia and it is likely to be developed by 2017.

Lockheed Martin is one of the six contenders pitching for 126 fourth generation medium multi-role combat aircraft sought by the IAF. The order is valued at approximately $10 billion. The other contenders are from France, Russia, Sweden, Europe and the US.

“We have completed trials for our F-16 IN. We expect other countries will also finish it soon,” Prins added.

Prins said there was a possibility that they would deliver six C 130 J (transport aircrafts) before the delivery schedule.

“There is a possibility that we can deliver in December 2010 against the schedule delivery date of February 2011,” he said.

Lockheed Martin may sell fifth generation F-35 to India

I think with the PAK-FA coming into picture..this offer was made to the IAF...American defence comps dont want to lose out on a potential customer....

But two questions..how will they sell this plane even if accepted by the US gov...to india bfore the countries involed in the project?

and what will india choose now..with PAK-FA and its indigenious MCA and now F-35 lightning ??:azn:

To many to choose now.....:woot:

F-35 is a vary good but it don't fit in the IAF. but there is a good place in IN.

I love to see this killer birds in IN.

As far as IAF is concern, we should go with PAK FA and MCA.

Our navy may opt for some of these for Vertical take-off capabilities. I don't see them in Airforce.
If India does go ahead and buy these birds, India will be the only country in the world to operate three different 5th generation planes (Pak-Fa, MCA, F-35)

Some worry times ahead for our neighbours. :yahoo:

That will never happen my friend.Do you really think that US or Russia will allow India to do so? Never .They will never allow India to fly these fighters shoulder to shoulder.

That will never happen my friend.Do you really think that US or Russia will allow India to do so? Never .They will never allow India to fly these fighters shoulder to shoulder.

True that definately will be considered by US and russian governments bfore any sale to Indian Armed forces...

But for the sake of discussion lets hope we get these two 5th gen fighter pilots...
and with MCA...Oh man we may be the only country in the world with so many choices for the 5th gen fighter pilots...:cheers:

now let me ask a question..will china offer us 5th gen palne???:woot:

P.S:just a funny and overtly optimistiic thought :lol:

f-35 is useless to IAF, FGFA/PAK-FA is Better than any here

right now, money speaks and its India spending the max money. Russia and US have no problems. They had some issues in the past. Right now India is buying Russian hardware as well as US hardware for the Army. In the navy also, India preferred UK vessels and carriers. Russia never had a problem. When France sold Mirages, there was no issue there either. If Russia ever was uncomfortable with the situation, MRCA would not have happened and we would be buying the Mig35 straight away.

Regards
Jagjit

i think F-35 lightning II is naval variant..correct me if iam wrong...if it is..then i think in any future Indigenous aircraft carriers(I and II) F-35 lightning II will be front runner coz if india needs a 5th gen fighter plane in its IAC1 and IAC 2 then PAK-FA is still along way to go..and to develop a FGFA naval variant will take atleast 10-12 yrs....comparing IAC 1 and 2 will be inducted by 2017(If Sources are to be believed)..

right now, money speaks and its India spending the max money. Russia and US have no problems. They had some issues in the past. Right now India is buying Russian hardware as well as US hardware for the Army. In the navy also, India preferred UK vessels and carriers. Russia never had a problem. When France sold Mirages, there was no issue there either. If Russia ever was uncomfortable with the situation, MRCA would not have happened and we would be buying the Mig35 straight away.

Regards
Jagjit

we would buy the Mirage/Rafael.:smitten:

f-35 is useless to IAF

Agreed, but for the navy, do you see the scenario changing now?
Vertical take off is a boon. Sea harriers are too old and on the verge of retirement. Mig 29k are okay but not the best in the world.

We need 5th generation for the navy too. :yahoo:

we would buy the Mirage/Rafael.:smitten:

If Russia ever was uncomfortable with the situation, MRCA would not have happened and we would be buying the Mig35 straight away

There was an IF. So I didn't mean we will buy mig 35. :azn:

f-35 is only suitable for our navy. . .but it is costlier than pak-fa . rafle or EF is better choice for navy than f-35 in my opinion

Last edited:
I think India should buy at least 150 F-35's to counter Chinese threat in future and it also will provide them a high end Western Technological edge over its neighbors .

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom