What's new

Lockheed Martin may sell fifth generation F-35 to India

That's why we buy additional Mig 29Ks!

Wrong. The recent ones that we bought are for our Navy to replace you know what.

Everybody is interested in India's Defence Bazaar right now, because International Arms Embargo have been lifted, and India is a huge market and has a booming economy.

These same people, would blacklist us, if we are to go against the US for some reason.

Russia has been our best mate for decades. They doesn't have to prove anything.

New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) US defence major Lockheed Martin Tuesday said it may consider selling the fifth generation fighter aircraft F-35 if approached by the Indian Air Force (IAF).
“We will consider this if the IAF approaches us,” Orville Prins, vice president for Lockheed Martin India’s operation, told reporters at the sixth edition of Defexpo India.

The F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter (JSF) is being developed by Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co for the US Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps and Britain’s Royal Navy.

Beside the US, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Singapore and Turkey have joined hands to develop the F-35. Lockheed Martin is the lead developer.

The stealthy, supersonic multi-role fighter was designated the F-35 Lightning II in July 2006. The JSF is being built in three variants: a conventional take-off and landing aircraft (CTOL) for the US Air Force; a carrier variant (CV) for the US Navy; and a short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) aircraft for the US Marine Corps and the Royal Navy.

India is jointly developing its fifth generation fighter aircraft with Russia and it is likely to be developed by 2017.

Lockheed Martin is one of the six contenders pitching for 126 fourth generation medium multi-role combat aircraft sought by the IAF. The order is valued at approximately $10 billion. The other contenders are from France, Russia, Sweden, Europe and the US.

“We have completed trials for our F-16 IN. We expect other countries will also finish it soon,” Prins added.

Prins said there was a possibility that they would deliver six C 130 J (transport aircrafts) before the delivery schedule.

“There is a possibility that we can deliver in December 2010 against the schedule delivery date of February 2011,” he said.

Lockheed Martin may sell fifth generation F-35 to India

By delinking the sale of F-35 to f-16 being chosen for MRCA I think LM has come to terms with fact that f-16 wont be flying in Indian colours afterall and is looking for future prospects for carving a niche for themselves in Indian defence forces. However all said and done, IAF should give a serious thought to F-35B STOLV as it can offer capablities to IAF like no other.. as being able to take-off from short, unprepared and non conventional airfields, land virtually anywhere it can be army's best friend for CAS roles.

In this missiles age when its cheaper and more effective(with Low probabilty of intercept) to fire cruise missiles and SRBMs against enemy airbase rather then sending squadron of fighter to render the airbase ineffective coz opening few salvos of missiles against Indian airbases and ALGs will make them inoperational atleast for a few hours limiting the effectiveness Of CTOL aircrafts...It here a STOLV can play its masterstoke by by requiring only limted space for take-off and landing.

They can also come in handy on our eastern border where are border infrastucture(ie airbases) are comparatively less developed and lesser in no. compared to our western border.

Last edited:
well these are all lame excuses and why would you worry about russians too much?

Having a diversity in Platform would be always good and it will increase your reliability .

India's booming economy can accommodate all that money.

The F-35 will be available to India only once orders from participating nations is fulfilled....this means India would fall at the bottom of the barrel and receive the first f-35 only past 2020.....

How does this help India in any way against "supposed" advanced Chinese tech?
Besides from a tech perspective....there is a near parity between the Chinese and Indian air-forces.....Its the numbers that work in China's favor.....

Also....Money is not to be squandered...The point to have the reserves is to use it as clout....and R&D.....self-sufficiency should be India's prima concern.....

Besides....none of our enemies will be fielding a 5th Gen aircraft before us....so there is no hurry either...

we might endup flyin F-35 and PAKFA side by side. That would be the ultimate nightmare anyone could have.

The F-35 will be available to India only once orders from participating nations is fulfilled....this means India would fall at the bottom of the barrel and receive the first f-35 only past 2020.....

How does this help India in any way against "supposed" advanced Chinese tech?
Besides from a tech perspective....there is a near parity between the Chinese and Indian air-forces.....Its the numbers that work in China's favor.....

Also....Money is not to be squandered...The point to have the reserves is to use it as clout....and R&D.....self-sufficiency should be India's prima concern.....

Besides....none of our enemies will be fielding a 5th Gen aircraft before us....so there is no hurry either...

Cost Vs benfit are some nos. which IAF will have crunch before going for such a deal.
But what IAF really neads to consider is its threat perception ie does it see enemy missiles or enemy aircraft as its real enemies...if the answer is former then it needs to consider STOVL as they can offer unprecedented amount flexibility in terms of operations and can also serve as primary line of offence after premptive strike by enemy against our airbases.

we might endup flyin F-35 and PAKFA side by side. That would be the ultimate nightmare anyone could have.

Well, that wont be good as for an effective defense we want "masters" NOT "Jack of all trades".

F35 has so many strings attached, we just cant and Should not even think of it.
PAK FA is best coz, it not Only gives us ToT but helps in our "make Indian , Buy Indian" policy as after 2030 we may Go for Total Indigenous Fighters :

• Heavy : Sukhoi 30/35 MKIs [ Made in India ]
  • Mediaum : MCA : Designed and Made in India
  • Light : LCA II and III : Designed and Made in India

I wish some day we reverse the switch & make 70%+ Indigenous Defense Products, that day we can really call ourselves a real Military Super Power.

From wat we here some people seem to think F35 is a powder puff plane compared to F22 and i honestly believe the PAK FA once mkied like su30 of the Indian air force via Israeli sensor fusion electronic warefare suites will eat F35 FOR BREAK FAST.

PAK FA could be an absolute beast of a FGFA by 2020 IF INDIA SUCCEDS like they did with the su30mki in east meets west combo,...

Cost Vs benfit are some nos. which IAF will have crunch before going for such a deal.
But what IAF really neads to consider is its threat perception ie does it see enemy missiles or enemy aircraft as its real enemies...if the answer is former then it needs to consider STOVL as they can offer unprecedented amount flexibility in terms of operations and can also serve as primary line of offence after premptive strike by enemy against our airbases.

Actually I disagree with you on the above....

Enemy missiles are the biggest threat to India esp. wrt China since they field a larger and more mature arsenal of missile delivery systems....
However aircrafts would not be as effective against missiles as proven and tested SAMs or BMDs......
We have the A2A covered with the procurement of the SU-30, but we need a missile defence pronto....

Also to add that the STOVL is mainly essential for AC/Naval air arm use than for IAF.....But I can see how the STOVL can be a consideration for the short and relatively underdeveloped air bases in the NE and Ladhakh.....
Either way the F-35 is a distant dream.....and I predict we will field the MCA before the lightning....which is also my preference....

Wrong. The recent ones that we bought are for our Navy to replace you know what.

Everybody is interested in India's Defence Bazaar right now, because International Arms Embargo have been lifted, and India is a huge market and has a booming economy.

These same people, would blacklist us, if we are to go against the US for some reason.

Russia has been our best mate for decades. They doesn't have to prove anything.
Not that I think we will go against the US, but we have more than enough toys from Russia and still buy more (Pak Fa, Mi17, A50, Gorshkov, new Frigats, Akula class sub, Mig 29Ks, T90 and much more), there is no need to keep Russia happy, cause they get their fair share of our market. Also don't forget it is a 2 way street now!
Russia helped us in the past when nobody else wanted to give us good arms, but now we are the only country that is reliable, poses no threat and have enough money to buy their arms. Most of the former Soviet Union countries now buys Gripen, or F16, instead of Mig 29, or Flankers, so Russia needs us also to keep their arms industry alive and also their forces (Akula lease, Gorshkov procurement).
The whole Gorshkov deal at all, is only not scrapped yet, because of the good realations of the past, otherwise we had no reason to wait for that carrier with so much delay and cost increasing. And as I said, even the additional Migs are only a favour for them (IN buys 45 now, RN only 24!) and not because they are the best available at the moment. So I think, we have nothing to prove to Russia either!

Last edited:
Actually I disagree with you on the above....

Enemy missiles are the biggest threat to India esp. wrt China since they field a larger and more mature arsenal of missile delivery systems....
However aircrafts would not be as effective against missiles as proven and tested SAMs or BMDs......
We have the A2A covered with the procurement of the SU-30, but we need a missile defence pronto....

Also to add that the STOVL is mainly essential for AC/Naval air arm use than for IAF.....But I can see how the STOVL can be a consideration for the short and relatively underdeveloped air bases in the NE and Ladhakh.....
Either way the F-35 is a distant dream.....and I predict we will field the MCA before the lightning....which is also my preference....

You missunderstand me wrt the fact IAF aircraft wont be used to intercept the missile which already have been launched(not possible unless are able to devlop airborne laser-dont see that happening anytime soon) but hitting the missile lauchers on other side of the border.
other than that I totally agree with you on above.

but providing BMD(in form PAD-AAD combo or S300 or PAC3 and as far as I know they be providing canopy protection to imp. Indian cities only.) to airbases or ALGs is cost ineffetive sollution against enemy SRBM and TBMs.
Wheras Akash, Barak 2, Pechora SAMs can only provide limted cruise missile defence and little or no defence against tactical BMs

Ok lets assume a hypothetical scenario:
If and when a premptive strike takes place enemy objective will be to pin down IAF on the ground by missiles fired on runway cross-section and blast pens(simlar to operation Focus by IDF in 1967) therby achieving battlefield air superiority and then flying in heavy bombers to finish the job(alteast that would have bin my air denial tactic :police:)

hence we need an ace(STOVL) up our sleeves that can can protect our airspace against such threats and also simutaneously attack those missile launchers giving IAF much needed breathing space to launch its own CTOL aircrafts.
alas
but you are right F-35 is still a distant dream but IAF should seriously consider STOVL bcoz this aircraft can serve as a lifeline for an airfoce pined on the ground due inoperational ruways.
And when it comes battlefield saturation via conventional missiles its no secret that India cannot match chinese nos. hence we need to be more innovative in our tactics.

And as for Indian navy it can offer unprcedented operational flexibilty...imagine F-35C (the one being developed for USMC with VTOL capabalities) taking off and landing on the helicopter deck of a DDG or FFG. It will mean these ships being able to venture ouside the aircover of a friendly A/C.
As for MCA as it will be our first attempt devlop a 5th gen fighter competely on our own and might not be comparable to F-35. But Hey... atleast it ll be our own.

Last edited:
although it would be nice to see a couple of squadrons of F-35 in indian colour...it would be difficult to maintain these ... but again when we can maintain so many aircrafts today...it should not be a nightmare..

however i would prefer to see them in navy..

f35 is good for IN let see at which term and condition with f35

what will be cost and the rest factor

The navy needs a new plane and Mig29K just won't cut it for the next decade. PakFa naval version might not be possible considering it is a heavy fighter, MCA might be good but not cutting edge.

And its not just about the aircraft, its about the package. With F35, we will be able to use AMRAAMs and Sidewinders. These are the best missiles out there and Pakistan has them in huge numbers.
For the navy this is the only 5th gen aircraft today and at least for the next two decades.

And China is gearing up to deploy its aircraft carriers in next 5 years. We need to counter this with quality, if not with quantity.

Back
Top Bottom