What's new

Lenovo overtakes Dell as No. 2 PC brand

Lenovo would have taken over another major brand if it did not take over ibm's pc division. That is for sure. As what I have said, attibuting lenovo's success or failure singly to ibm's pc division is really exaggerating.

I bet you will also say the reverse comments if lenovo failed miserably today and said that it is all the fault for ibm's pc division take-over.
That does not mean you are guaranteed a success. The business world is filled with failed ventures, singular or joint, and one the more current one is Logitech's investment in GoogleTV where they admitted that it was a 100 million dollars loss. IBM's laptop division set the standards for mobile computing machines just as much as Apple set the standards for styling and well design. Lenovo benefited from that acquisition from a hindsight perspective but at that time, it was equally speculative either way. How often do you insist we acknowledge China's historical role in science? But now you want to dismiss the IBM brand from Lenovo's success in this venture?

I bet two or three years ago, you might not have heard HTC brand either.

Even though it is a taiwan brand but it indeed has a lot of integration in mainland China as well with its majority of R&D from Chinese engineers (both mainland and tw)

Well, it is your person opinion to look down upon Chinese R&D ability and technology innovation, or you can call whatever China has achieved as pirated ones from the west.

If it is good for your personal satisfaction, it is fine with me. It seems that nowadays more and more people are amazed by what Chinese engineers and scientists have achieved and produced.

Actually my very first mobile phone was a HTC back in 2005:lol:. But HTC is a Taiwanese company, like Asus and Acer, so no point discussing that.

Its quite hard to break into a market with established players like Dell, HP, and Apple. Acquisition is perhaps the only way. Lenovo bought Median AG recently. That will boost its numbers in Europe for sure.

Lenovo is doing quite well in India too I think.

Actually my very first mobile phone was a HTC back in 2000:lol:. But HTC is a Taiwanese company, like Asus and Acer, so no point discussing that.

Its quite hard to break into a market with established players like Dell, HP, and Apple. Acquisition is perhaps the only way. Lenovo bought Median AG recently. That will boost its numbers in Europe for sure.

Lenovo is doing quite well in India too I think.

Acer sucks...water... :lol: i was using it in my bathroom... dropped it in water n kaboom..shizz happened.. in soviet bathroom shyt happens...:lol:

Lenovo is all but dead here in the US.

So Lenovo is growing based on Chinese domestic market sales. Good for them, but irrelevant outside of China.

Everyone was given a ThinkPad at work last month. I'm pretty sure it's not dead.

Awesome buddy. :cheers:

It is not just a Chinese brand, but it is also headquartered right here in Hong Kong. :D

I'm using a Lenovo right now, and i never knew it was a Chinese brand.

The name doesn't sound Chinese at all :lol:

Acer sucks...water... :lol: i was using it in my bathroom... dropped it in water n kaboom..shizz happened.. in soviet bathroom shyt happens...:lol:

Brah, why would you be using a laptop in the bathroom? :blink:

pretty strange indians haven heard of Huawei most of BSNL broadband modems are manufactured by Huawei,so many Indians have gone off to work in ZTE & Huawei

I'm using a Lenovo right now, and i never knew it was a Chinese brand.

The name doesn't sound Chinese at all :lol:

LOL, same with Haier right? (Biggest manufacturer of appliances in the world). I'm a Cantonese speaker so I didn't recognize it as Chinese, but after I learned Mandarin then I realized that it was actually "hai er".

I've been looking at Lenovo computers all my life, even before they became a big company, since I was born in Hong Kong.

I would be so happy if all the Chinese people would prefer to buy domestic Chinese brands like Lenovo, instead of brands like Apple. But that is wishful thinking I guess. :P

Back
Top Bottom