What's new

Learn to speak Farsi/ Persian on PDF!

Hmmmn....! I had thought that Dari was closer to Ancient Persian whereas the Present Day Farsi of Iran is the Persian Language that evolved over time...!
Nah man, they're literally 100% the same. The written language is the same for both. Everything is 100% the same cept the loan words. Afghans have English and Russian loan words, while 95% of loan words in Iranian Persian are French (the rest are English words that have entered in recent times).

You take out the difference in loan words and the language itself is a carbon copy. What's different is the spoken language. That's where it gets a bit messy lol. I don't know when it happened, but in Iran we collectively decided to write things one way and read them another way (like the French). That's why "jan" is pronounced "joon"!!??!? wtf lol

Edit: just thought about it for a min and I feel like I exaggerated. The difference between the written and spoken lang isn't as exaggerated as I made it sound in my post but it certainly is the main difference between the two countries.

Ahmad.

Isn't true that there is some difference in dialectic(non-formal) between Iranian and Afghani(Kabul) Farsi. As I understand that Afghan version is more aggressive than Iranian. I mean Iranian version is softer and articulate than Afghan(non-formal). Correct me if I am wrong or misinformed.
Yes, there is slight difference between Farsi in Afghanistan and Farsi in Iran. We have got hugely different Farsis within Afghanistan alone in terms of accent and even a small number of vocabulary, for example my native province's farsi, is very different accentwise to somebody who is from Gardiz(paktia province), Ghazni Farsi is different to Balkh Farsi and so on, but at the end of the day they are all one language with differnet accents. This is quite normal in every language. I am sure the Arabic in KSA is not exactly the same as it is in Egypt, Syria etc. Bear in mind that Farsi in central asia such as Tajikistan, Samarqand, Bukhara and other persian speaking cities also do have differences in terms of accent and small number of vocabulary.

the only farsi i know is “Chun kar aaj haman heelte dar guzast, hallal ast burden da shamsheer dast” “When all peaceful means to resolve a crucial problem fail, it justified to wield the sword.”
guru gobind singh wrote this in zafarnama. seems like farsi is somewhat similar to hindi punjabi and have evolved from some sort of similar language. this is why many words are similar. or maybe its because of close proximity of iran n afghanistan

the only farsi i know is “Chun kar aaj haman heelte dar guzast, hallal ast burden da shamsheer dast” “When all peaceful means to resolve a crucial problem fail, it justified to wield the sword.”
guru gobind singh wrote this in zafarnama.

Is "Zafarnama" written in Farsi/Urdu?

I believe this line came from a letter addressed to Sultan Aurangzeb.

The Persian word for world is 'jahan' and 'donya'; where 'donya' is from Arabic. Am I correct?
Going by that, donyayeman and 'jahaneman' would mean 'my world'

Also, how do I say:

1) I like you/I love you
2) I love the singer _____
3) That is good/that was good

Dooes the word 'eyvallah' exist in Persian? I know it's a Turkish word, but I've heard it in a Persian song once (Dasa Bala by Arash to be exact).

Balaghal-'ula be-kamaal-e-hi, Kashafad-duja be-jamaal-e-hi, Hasunat jamee'u khisaal-e-hi, Sallu 'alae-hi wa aal-e-hi....Hazrat Shaikh Sadi (rehmatullah alaih).

Hello everyone. I had made a similar post on another forum so I thought to make one here as well. I hope other Farsi speaking members on this forum contribute as well. I'd be happy to answer queries.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Phonetics

a - as in "alarm"
æ - as in "cat"
b - as in "book"
d - as in "dog"
ch - as in "chair"
e - as in "net"
f - as in "fine"
g - as in "gum"
q/gh - a hard "g" from throat
h - as in "hat
i/ee - as in "need"
j - as in "jump"
jh/zh - like french "j," as in "je" or chinese "zhou", or "s" in "measure"
k - as in "keg"
kh/x - throat sound, as in german "tochter" or scottish "loch"
l- as in "letter"
m - as in "mother"
n - as in "night"
o - as in "note"
p - as in "poke"
r- as in "root" (have a accent on the "r," like a regular spanish "r" in "naranja")
s - as in "sigh"
sh - as in "shoe"
t - as in "type"
u/oo - as in spanish "luna"
v/w - as in "van" ("v" in Irani dialect, "w" in Afghan Dari & Tajiki dialects)
y - as in "yawn"
z - as in "zoo"

Some Clarification of Roots

(Ar.) - means word is of Arabic decent
(Tk.) - means word is of Turkic decent
(Fr.) - means of French decent
(Foreign) - means that the word is not originally Iranic

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Firstly, some basic introductions and other phrases

sælam = hello (Ar.)

dorud = hello [traditional]

dorud bær shoma = hello/blessings upon you [formal]

Khoda hafez (Khodafez) = goodbye {may God remember you} (hafez = protector (Ar.))

bedorud = goodbye [traditional]

hal e shoma chetor æst? = how are you? {how is your health?} [formal]

hal e tun chetor æst? = how are you? {how is your health}

chetóri? = wassup?

khosh amædi = welcome {you come with happiness}

sobh bekheir; bamdad khosh = good morning

ruz bekheir/ ruz khosh = good day (kheir = good (Ar.))

shæb bekheir/ shæb khosh = goodnight/evening

mersi = thanks (Fr.)

Motshæker/ Tæshækor = thank you (Ar.)

sepas = Thank you [traditional]

sepas gozar hæstæm = I am thankful [formal]

khosh bashi = may you be well/happy

zende bashi = may you stay alive

nam e shoma che æst? = what is your name [formal]

esm e tun chist? = what is your name? (esm = name (Ar.))

to ki hæsti? = who are you?

shoma ki hæstid? = who are you? [formal]

mobaræk = congratulations (Ar.)

Khoda be hæmra e tun bashæd = may God be with you

ruz e khubi dasht e bashin = may you have a good day

nam e mæn ..... æst = my name is .....

are = yes

bæle = yes [formal]

næ, ne = no

khub, nik, beh = good

bæd = bad

khub æst = it is good

bæd æst= it is bad

beh'tær = better

bæd'tær = worse

what are those numbers ?

Dealing with Numbers

Number = Adad
Zero = Sefr
Half = Nesf
More = Bishtar
Less = Kamtar
Plus = be'alaave
Minus = menhaa
Approximately = taqReeban
First = aval
Second = doovom
Third = sevom

English Farsi
1 Yek
2 Do
3 Se
4 Chaar
5 Panj
6 Shish
7 Haft
8 Hasht
9 Noh
10 Dah
11 Yaazdah
12 Davaazdah
13 Sizdah
14 Chaardah
15 Poonzdah
16 Shoonzdah
17 Hefdah
18 Hejdah
19 Noozdah
20 Bist
21 Bisto yek
22 Bisto do
23 Bisto se
... ...
30 Si
31 Sio yek
31 Sio do
33 Sio se
... ...
40 Chel
41 Chelo yek
42 Chelo do

As can be seen there is a repetitive pattern. The common misconception is that in Farsi every number from 0-100 is a new word altogether but this is not so. It is a combination much like the English language. The format above continues for the numbers below.

... ...
50 Panjaah
60 Shast
70 Haftaad
80 Hashtaad
90 Navad
100 Sad
200 Devist
300 Sisad
400 Chaarsad
500 Poonsad
600 Sheshsad
700 Haftsad
800 Hashtsad
900 Nohsad
1000 Hezaar
2000 Do hezaar
3000 Se hezaar
... ...
1,000,000 Yek miliyoon
1,000,000,000 Yek miliyaard

Combination of Numbers

Say, the number is 987
It would be read left to right as nine hundred and eighty and seven
i.e. Farsi: Nohsad o Hashtaad o Haft

Say, the number is 10987
It would read as ten-thousand, nine hundred, eighty and seven
i.e Farsi: Dah-hezaar o Nohsad o Hashtaad o Haft

The same is true with larger numbers. Let's speak of millions. Say the number is 1,198,987
i.e one million, one hundred ninety-eight thousands, nine hundred, eighty and seven.
i.e Farsi: yek-miliyoon o Sad o Navad o Hasht Hezaar o Nohsad o Hashtaad o Haft

Thank you pasban

Continuing... "to have" or "dashtæn"

mæn daræm - i have

to dari - you have

shoma darid - you have [formal]

an daræd - he/she/that has

ma darim - we have

anha darænd - they have

Continuing further, some action verbs may be tried. There are two types of action verbs in Farsi, which I shall explain in the next post. For now now I will show how to conjugate "to do."

With most action verbs, when you conjugate them you put a "mi-" in front of the verb.

to do - "kærdæn"

mæn mikonæm - i do

to mikoni - you do

shoma mikonid - you do [formal]

an mikonæd - he/she/that does

ma mikonim - we do

anha mikonænd - they do

This is excellent....

As I stated earlier, there are two types of action verbs in Farsi. This is where Farsi can become confusing for some but this is an important element of the language.

There are verbs where they do not conjugate them selves so you have to add another action verb (such as "kærdæn") to the verb. Then there are the verbs that can conjugate by themselves and do not need "kærdæn" to complete the verb, most of these verbs have "-dæn/-tæn" at the end of it.

Example:

Verbs that conjugate themselves:

pokhtæn = to bake/cook

khandæn = to read, to sing, to recite

neveshtæn = to write

khabidæn = to sleep

khordæn = to eat

Verbs that need "Kærdæn"

shena kærdæn = to swim

ashpæzi kærdæn = to cook

bazi kærdæn = to play

dorost kærdæn = to make/build

Thank you Pasban....

Some additional information on sounds and pronunciation

A user had sent me a PM requesting this so I thought to include it in the thread. This does side-track the format I was hoping to follow but could help a lot of the users here.

Question: When I listen to Farsi, I don't hear very strong throat sounds.

Answer:

In modern Persian the Arabic sound known as "qaf" is largely assimilated with the sound "gh" which is a sound similar, but not identical to, the "r" in french.

It is a sound found almost exclusively in Arabic loan words, and to my understanding a few native words which borrowed the sound from Arabic.

In some speakers the sound is partially retained, but among Iranians this is applied only to some words, and in many speakers the merger has completely occured. So in reality, if you never learn how to say this sound it doesn't really matter, as most Persian speakers in Iran do not pronounce it anyways.

In other dialects, such as Dari (Persian spoken in Afghanistan) it is more likely to be pronounced as in Arabic (like a K deep in the throat) as their style of speech is much more archaic (i.e. the way Persian is written, and how people spoke it in the 19th century). The Persian language has changed greatly in the past 100 or so years in Iran in terms of pronunciation and grammar. In particular the construction of verbal suffixes, which have been greatly reduced.

Example: Mæn be khuneye dustæm mirævæm.

Translation: I am going to my friend's house.

Becomes generally in colloquial Persian:

Mæn miræm khuneye dustæm.

As can be seen the word "mirævæm" ("am going", or "I am going" if you drop the pronoun "mæn" or "I" as would usually occur) becomes "miræm", with a shortened verbal suffix. Also the word order has changed from Subject-Object-Verb, as is traditionally structured in most Indo-Iranian languages, to that of Subject-Verb-Object, as in English and Mandarin Chinese for example.

This reduction occurs in virtually all the compound verbs except in writing and extremely formal situations: the use of "mirævæm" in normal conversation would sound somewhat strange in Tehran for example.

A further note: A little side note, the origin of the word "Farsi" comes from "Parsi". When the Arabs brought Islam with them and added numerous words to the Persian language, many words lost the sound "P", as Arabic has no P sound, so the Arabs called the language "Farsi" instead of Parsi. (Other examples: Esfæhan from "Espæhan", Sefid (white) from "Sepid").

Thus it is technically incorrect to call the language "Farsi" in English, even though this usage is more and more common, and in some ways seen as a political statement.

It is essentially like calling German "Deutsch" when you are speaking English. The proper name for the language in English is Persian, as it is derived from the Indo-Aryan root of the ancient name for the language, "Parsi".

"Iran" is also a mispronunciation of what should be called "Eyran." When Farsi started using the Arabic script early on, to write "Eyran" Iranians needed put the letters "alef" (ا‎) and "ye" (ى) to create the "ey" sound. The problem is though that, in arabic, when "alef" and "ye" اي are put together, they make the "EE" sound, that is how "Eyran" became "Iran." ايران.

More of this stuff.

Months, Days and Holidays

Iranians use a different calendar as their main or primary calendar, but they also use the Gregorian (western) and Islamic calendar also. The Iranian calendar (reputed to be the most accurate in the world), as with the Gregorian calendar yet unlike the Islamic calendar, is a solar calendar ( the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar ). It starts at the first moment of spring and ends at the last moment of winter.

The Months are:
Færværdin - 21 March to 20 April
Ordibehesht - 21 April to 21 May
Khordad - 22 May to 21 June
Tir - 22 June to 22 July
Mordad - 23 July to 22 August
Shæhrivær - 23 August to 22 September
Mehr - 23 September to 22 October
Aban - 23 October to 21 November
Azær - 22 November to 21 December
Dey - 22 December to 20 January
Bæhmæn - 21 January to 19 February
Espænd (Esfænd) - 20 February to 20 March

Seasons:
Bæhar - spring
Tabestan - summer
Paiz - fall/autumn
Zemestan - winter

Unique Holidays - Noruz:

Norouz is the Iranian new year and the most important cultural holiday of Iran and other Iranian peoples. It is celebrated on the first day of spring. At the exact moment, exact second of that it turns spring, it becomes the new Iranian year. It is not only celebrated in Iran, but in other countries such as: Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, and areas such as Kurdistan, the Pamirs of China, and also in the Caucasus and Eastern Europe.

It's an ancient Holiday coming from ancient Iran and celebrated by ancient Indo-Iranian peoples, and was the most important celebration for them. It is a symbol of rebirth and everything anew.

Norouz Literally means "New day," (no, nav, nov = new; ruz = day)
Norouz can also be pronounced as "Navrouz, Nevrouz, Navaroza, Navasal Novruz, etc."

Ways to greet for the new year are:
sal e no mobaræk = Happy new year (Lit. Year of new congrats)
sal e no khojæste-bad = Happy New year
Noruz Mobaræk = Happy Norouz
Noruz Piruz = Noruz Victory

Norouz khojæste-bad = Happy norouz
Norouz shad-bad = Happy norouz

Other information:

English Farsi

Minute Daghighe
Hour Saa'at
Day Rooz
Week Hafteh
Month Maah
Season Fasl
Year Saal
Today Emrooz
Yesterday Dirooz
Tomorrow Fardaa
This week In hafteh
Next week Hafteh bad
Last week Hafteh ghabl
Sunday Yek shanbeh
Monday Do shanbeh
Tuesday Se shanbeh
Wednesday Chaar shanbeh
Thursday Panj shanbeh
Friday Jome
Saturday Shanbeh

Months, dates and weeks....

Continuing now on the previous teaching format...

"To be doing":

You have learned "to do" (kærdæn) and "to have" (dashtæn):
e.g.
"mæn shena mikonæm" [I swim; shena = swim] or "mæn minevisæm" [I write] (mi-nevis-æm, from "neveshtæn" to write)

"mæn sib daræm" [I have a apple; sib = apple] or "mæn nahar daræm" [I have lunch; nahar = lunch]

Now, how do you say "I am doing." Well we now know that "to have" comes after a noun. To say "I am doing" you have to combine both "dashtæn" and "kardæn" together in the format: "mæn daræm mikonæm" or I am doing.

Whenever "dashtæn" comes after a noun, it means "to have," yet when it comes before a noun and /or verb, it means "am [doing]."

take "mæn shena mikonæm" (I swim) and add the verb "dashtæn" to it and it will make: "mæn daræm shena mikonæm" I AM swimming.

mæn minevisæm [I write] >> mæn daræm minevisæm [I am writing]
mæn mikhoræm [I eat; khor = eat or eater] >> mæn daræm mikhoræm [I am eating]
mæn bazi mikonæm [I play] >> mæn daræm bazi mikonæm [I am playing]
mæn ketab mikhunæm [I read a book; ketab = book] >> mæn daræm ketab mikhunæm [I am reading a book]
mæn ru tækht mikhabæm [I sleep on a bed; tækht = bed ] >> mæn daræm ru tækht mikhabam [I am sleeping on a/the bed]
to mikoni [you do] >> to dari mikoni [you are doing]
an mikone/æd [it does] >> an dare mikone/æd [it is doing]

more soon..

more of this stuff....

I'm planning on taking a Farsi course as an elective at my University. I like this thread. Maybe this will boost my knowledge.... :tup:

Back
Top Bottom