What's new

Launch of the head of Type 056 Chinese Corvette class

Major Shaitan Singh

Reaction score
Country
India
PLAN_Chinese_Navy_Type_056_corvette_opv_2.jpg

Type 056 Corvette on the launch ramp, about to enter the water

According to some sources China is currently building a large series of Type 056 corvettes. At the Hudong Shipyard a second vessel of this type can be seen on the assembly line. These corvettes are not only intended for the Chinese Navy. They are also being marketed for export.

PLAN_Chinese_Navy_Type_056_corvette_opv_1.jpg

Type 056 Corvette in the water, docked at the Hudong Shipyard

Type 056 Corvette Export Specifications:

Length: 89 meters
Full load displacement: 1,300 tonnes
Max speed: 25 knots
Crew: 60
Range: 2,000 nm at 18 knots
Endurance: N/A

Weapons:
2x SSM Launchers
1x8-Cell SAM
1x 76mm gun
2x 30mm gun

I think Pakistan Navy might be interested in 2100-2500 ton class that have multi mission capability(3 dimensional) for defending and attacking purpose. For the Milgem suits well, and may be 7-11 will be needed.

PLAN ship 596...That's a number for frigates. But how many Type 056 are going to be built?

There is not much room left in the 5XX region. 50 at most.

At least 24 of them. I expect them to replace jianghu frigate.
037 is already replaced by 022 FAC.

this 24 cell launcher is not much bigger than the one they have there.. why are they not choosing it?

fl3000n2.jpg

70344341.jpg

this 24 cell launcher is not much bigger than the one they have there.. why are they not choosing it?

fl3000n2.jpg

70344341.jpg

fl3000n2.jpg

70344341.jpg
To reduce the cost.
056 is to be built in large quantities(》50),and only used for coast and EEZ patrol,
8 cell HHQ10 is enough to deal with low-intensity conflicts in South China Sea
When 056 cannot handle the situation,054A and 052C will help their little brother。

Those missiles shouldn't be that expensive. I think it was a decision based on requirements and top weight issue.

China needed a lighter naval vessel to patrol South China Sea, and current ships are too large to be economical. This class fills in temporary gap.

However, I think the navy should focus their resources into building carrier battle groups capable of power projection instead. Why patrol when you can bring the fight right to aggressors' doorstep?

China needed a lighter naval vessel to patrol South China Sea, and current ships are too large to be economical. This class fills in temporary gap.

However, I think the navy should focus their resources into building carrier battle groups capable of power projection instead. Why patrol when you can bring the fight right to aggressors' doorstep?

Chinese military leadership opt for denial of American navy presence. They are smart enough to know that they cannot complete against USN.

Back
Top Bottom