What's new

Latest Marvel Comics Superhero: A Muslim Pakistani-American Teen Girl

Hafizzz

Reaction score
Latest Marvel Comics Superhero: A Muslim Pakistani-American Teen Girl
Latest Marvel Comics Superhero: A Muslim Pakistani-American Teen Girl - Marvel : People.com

ms-marvel-300.jpg

Look under the costume of Marvel Comics' latest superhero and you might get a big surprise.

Kamala Khan is a teenage Muslim girl with Pakistani parents who lives in New Jersey, a multicultural and modern reimagining of a heroine for the comic-book company that brought to the world the likes of Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk and Captain America, the New York Times reports.

The Khan character, 16, reflects the comic-book company's desire to capture a diverse new audience, updating the heroine image with a protagonist who explores what it's like to be a teenager, to deal with a foreign-born family living in a different culture, and to navigate her superpowers, which include shape-shifting her arms, legs and body, the U.K.'s The Telegraph reports.

"I wanted Ms. Marvel to be true-to-life, something real people could relate to, particularly young women," says the comic's writer, G. Willow Wilson. "High school was a very vivid time in my life, so I drew heavily on those experiences – impending adulthood, dealing with school, emotionally charged friendships that are such a huge part of being a teenager."

"It's for all the geek girls out there and everybody else who's ever looked at life from the fringe," Wilson said.

[Kamala's] genesis began more mundanely, in a conversation between Sana Amanat and Steve Wacker, two editors at Marvel. “I was telling him some crazy anecdote about my childhood, growing up as a Muslim-American,” Ms. Amanat said. “He found it hilarious.” Ms. Amanat and Mr. Wacker noted the dearth of female superhero series and, even more so, of comics with cultural specificity.

When they told G. Willow Wilson, an author, comic book writer and convert to Islam, about their idea, she was eager to come on board as the series’ writer. “Any time you do something like this, it is a bit of a risk,” Ms. Wilson said. “You’re trying to bring the audience on board and they are used to seeing something else in the pages of a comic book.”

“Captain Marvel represents an ideal that Kamala pines for,” Ms. Wilson said. “She’s strong, beautiful and doesn’t have any of the baggage of being Pakistani and ‘different.’ ”

Kamala Khan sounds an odd name for a supposedly Pakistani girl.......... but its not like these idiots would know the difference!

Meet the new Ms. Marvel, a shapeshifting Muslim teenager

Back
Top Bottom