What's new

Lahore: Old pictures

Wonder if anyone can post images of this legendary cannon as it exists now ?

Unusual name.. Bhangiyan Wali Tope

ImnUO.jpg

fqp9K.jpg

Cannon%2Bin%2Blahore.jpg

Another thing which many people don't know about is that apart from the 13 gates the fortified wall of the city of Lahore had a 14th passage leading in and out of the city called the 'dou moria pull' (literally translated: the two holed bridge) I think I remember my grandfather telling me that it was original sewer outlet for the city but later became a passage. It still stands today and I think railway tracks pass over it (some should correct me if im wrong).

5274_14.gif

400 year old Zamzama, in 1903, Lahore. Whats written below the pic ? Can someone help ?

It says "This is the Zamzama cannon which is placed in Lahore. This cannon was used in a battle 400 years ago. This picture was taken in 1903."

If possible, post some current pictures please, not only of the canal, but other monuments also.

I remember a few years ago when my uncle's British business partner came to Lahore and I went to drop him at the Avari hotel on the Mall Road where he was staying. We took the Canal Road onto Mall Road route. The man instantly fell in love with the many trees on the sides of both the roads and their over hanging canopies crisscrossing over the roads, forming a green ceiling of sorts. According to him these were the two most beautiful roads he had ever seen.

Recently the Canal Road (which passes on both sides of the Lahore Canal aka the BRB Canal) had to be expanded and for that many trees had to be cut. The supreme court ordered the least possible damage to the surrounding foliage and the planting of 4 trees for every 1 that was cut. If you avoid the rush hour you can truly take in the beauty of this road.

Recent pictures of the Lahore Canal:

restricts-canal-road-widening-1324350955.jpg

images1.jpg

Canal.jpg

779px-Canal_of_Lahore_Pakistan.jpg

Canal-II-300x206.jpg

At night during the Basant Festival:

lahore_canal-med-300x200.jpg

And when it hailed from hell in Lahore:

78c0e694.jpg

Another thing which many people don't know about is that apart from the 13 gates the fortified wall of the city of Lahore had a 14th passage leading in and out of the city called the 'dou moria pull' (literally translated: the two holed bridge) I think I remember my grandfather telling me that it was original sewer outlet for the city but later became a passage. It still stands today and I think railway tracks pass over it (some should correct me if im wrong).
You are confusing two thing one is mori darwaza and other is du moria pul. Mori darwaz was the 14th passage used for throwing out cities waste. WHile du moria pul in the bridge british made between old lahore and shumali lahore.

This is the Sunehri Masjid, not Sonali. It is close to the now destroyed Shah Alami darwaza and behind Sona and Kashmiri Bazaar.
Not sona , its sooha bazar

Lahore Station 1895 / 1995

dPbwq.jpg

Can two photographs measure the changes in a place?

The Lahore railway station has been altered. There is a new entry facade. The towers have been squared and clocks added. The country is independent. The horse drawn carriages have changed little, though they are now confined to a small part of the city. The Punjabis in front of the station have barely adjusted their turbans. The tree is the same. It has just rained in both photographs.

Jackson was fond of this photograph. In his autobiography Time Exposure, written forty years after his visit, he wrote:

"At Lahore, where we made a short stop on February 3, the weather was too bad to permit satisfactory photography about town, and I confined my camera activities to the fortified railway station. That, as much as anything I saw, brought me close to the realization that Anglo-India was still a thin cover on top of a volcano."

Lahore Station 1895 / 1995

dPbwq.jpg

Can two photographs measure the changes in a place?

The Lahore railway station has been altered. There is a new entry facade. The towers have been squared and clocks added. The country is independent. The horse drawn carriages have changed little, though they are now confined to a small part of the city. The Punjabis in front of the station have barely adjusted their turbans. The tree is the same. It has just rained in both photographs.

Jackson was fond of this photograph. In his autobiography Time Exposure, written forty years after his visit, he wrote:

"At Lahore, where we made a short stop on February 3, the weather was too bad to permit satisfactory photography about town, and I confined my camera activities to the fortified railway station. That, as much as anything I saw, brought me close to the realization that Anglo-India was still a thin cover on top of a volcano."

When it come to BS against Pakistan no one can beat western media.

Now 99.99% punjabis DO NOT wear turbans.

The author have just found a dirty pic and nothing other than this.

Lahore Railway Station in 1880.

Lahore_railway_station1880s-thumb.jpg

Lahore Railway Station in 1886.

LahoreRS.jpg

And Now new pics.

Lahore Railway station in 2011.

lahore-railway-station.jpg

Lahore Railway station in 2007.

Lahore%20-%20Railway%20Station%20-%20Front%20Facade%20-%2001%20copy.jpg

Lahore Railway Station inside pic.

pak-business-express-platform.jpg

Dear Erfan, its nice to hear you, i also visited this house many time, and if i not forgotten you have a nick name also it is "Billo", am i right? i also born in Lohari gate

Lahore is a city with very rich history and cultural heritage

019PHO0000050S2U00012000%5BSVC2%5D.jpg

Rattan Chand's temple.. Could some body update on its current status / name ?

Sahring inputs on the background of this long gone structure.

" Photograph of the temple of Rattan Chand at Lahore, Pakistan, taken by George Craddock in the 1880s, part of the Bellew Collection of Architectural Views.

Lahore, the capital of Punjab province, is considered the cultural centre of Pakistan. Islam came here after the advent of Mahmud of Ghazni in 1021 AD, and it was subsequently ruled by a succession of dynasties of the Delhi Sultanate, followed by the Mughals, the Sikhs and the British. It reached its apogee under the Mughals, known as the Garden City and with enough architecture to rank it with other great Mughal centres like Delhi, Agra and Fatehpur Sikri.

Lahore suffered with the decline of the Mughal empire in the 18th century, frequently coming under attack. It was finally taken by the Sikhs, who under their leader Ranjit Singh (ruled 1799-1839), were masters of the Punjab region by 1818. During Ranjit Singh's rule in Lahore, he became fond of a small boy at his court who grew to serve him with distinction.

This courtier, Lala Rattan Chand, was awarded a prime plot of land by the Sikh ruler where he erected a temple to Shiva. Rattan Chand prospered even with the change of power to the British in Lahore from 1849. Joining the British administration, he was able to develop the area around the temple with gardens filled with fruit trees and a huge tank or reservoir, making it a well-known feature of the city. Rattan Chand died in 1872. The temple and its gardens were irretrievably damaged in the riots which followed the partition of India in 1947.
"

Gateway, Begumpura, Shalimar Rd, Lahore. [Gulabi Bagh Gateway]

Photograph of the Gulabi Bagh Gateway at Lahore, Pakistan, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1870s, part of the Bellew Collection of Architectural Views.

Decorated profusely with intricate calligraphy and tilework, the Gulabhi Bagh Gateway was once the entrance to a garden which has disappeared. It was erected by Mirza Sultan Baig, a Persian noble, in the reign of Shahjahan (ruled 1628–58). The inscription over the archway gives the gate its title of Gulabi Bagh or Rose Garden and also records that it was built in 1655.

019PHO0000050S2U00004000[SVC2].jpg

@third eye

Your family migrated from Lahore?

Nope, countless generations have lived in UP.

If its because of the pictures I post that you ask this Q, then allow me to add that I share such things simply because of my interest in the Indian sub continent... and whenever I find something I didn't know I share it.

We do an excellent job squabbling amongst ourselves here, once a while we need to smell the roses too.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom