What's new

Kuwait to sign for 28 Eurofighter Typhoons

Hate to burst your bubble, but the Eurofighter is as sanction prone as any American fighter. PAF buying it did not make sense to them then, and now, because "if you are going to go down the sanction prone road", might as well buy an F-16, better value for money, plus the infrastructure is already in place
if you have two sanction prone jets when it makes sense to go for the better one, beside europe is more leaniant than the usa. but if for example pakistan aporached bae and trailed the jets and got to business the deal would go through. i explained why in some posts on this thread. the rafale is easy because its french and nothing else so its easy to buy, if i am not mistaken the rafale was pakistans first option due to that reason and the french presidant at the time was already involved in the augusta scandal so this if it happened this would have followed suit and gone through no problem and the usa cant say no as it was during the height of the afganistan war. at the time musharaf was in power and he knows what his country needs defence wise.

Italian MoD Source: Kuwait To Sign Deal for 28 Eurofighters

1647344.jpg

ROME and DUBAI — Kuwait is expected to sign a deal to buy 28 Eurofighter aircraft on Jan. 31, an Italian Ministry of Defense source has told Defense News.

“Italian Defense Minister Roberta Pinotti has been invited by Kuwait to attend the signing for 28 Eurofighter aircraft on Sunday in Kuwait,” the source said on Wednesday.

Italy, which is one of the four industrial partners on the Eurofighter program alongside the UK, Spain and Germany, has taken the lead in marketing the aircraft to Kuwait.

Two senior Kuwaiti Military officials confirmed to Defense News on Wednesday that the Minister of Defense Khaled al-Jarrah al-Sabah will sign the Eurofighter contract with Pinotti on Sunday.

One senior official said the decision came after repeated US delays regarding the acquisition of a new fleet of Boeing F-18 Super Hornets.

"We were trying to acquire the F-18 Super Hornets and replace the existing fleet of F-18s with Super Hornets and Eurofighter Typhoons," he said. "However, we cannot wait for the American approval and need to update our Air Force now."

A second official stated that a meeting was held with Italian Air Force officials in Turin in mid-November.

"We have discussed the Eurofighter deal, which was expected to be finalized in Kuwait in December but was delayed due to problems on the pilot training," he said.

"Our Air Force wanted to send the pilots for training in the United Kingdom, not Italy, due to the language barriers; however the deal was finalized after there was an agreement on sending them to train in Italy," he added.

"The training program is expected not to take less than 18 months," he said.

A memorandum of understanding was first signed by Italy and Kuwait in September, and a final signature on the contract was initially expected by the end of 2015. The Kuwaiti parliament was required to sign off on the funding.

Kuwait has agreed to buy 22 single-seat and six twin-seat Typhoons in a government-to-government agreement. Italian firm Finmeccanica has been handling the industrial side of the sales push.

Industry sources have said the deal, which could be worth up to €8 billion (US $8.7 billion), could see the Kuwaitis become the first export customer for the active electronically scanned array radar being developed for the jet.

The aircraft are expected to be new-build, third tranche, swing-role versions of the fighter, with deliveries starting in 2019 and possibly covering munitions such as the Storm Shadow and Meteor.

An Italian source has said that over 50 percent of the value of the Eurofighter deal in Kuwait would be earned by Finmeccanica, which assembles the aircraft but also provides systems.

source: DefenceNews

Now that shows that US is now losing ME market due to its policies toward ME and the policy with Iran hurt US now.

Now that shows that US is now losing ME market due to its policies toward ME and the policy with Iran hurt US now.
not really.......... it's congress, they have blocked several deals, they have blocked a deal to sell f18's and f15's to qatar. they should let deals for f18's go through as the line is nearing it end as orders dry up. and they are dependant on foreign exports. but i heard the pentagon is putting an order for 12-18 this year. but when it comes to the saudis, deals always go through no problem as the saudis a coupled with israel , they can buy whatever they want

Not as much as the Rafale. The issue with the EF is the sanctions issue, or rather Brit and US tech on it.
i mentioned it in my posts before but after the post you quoted, at the time 2003-2006 the usa was careful not to annoy pakistan as it was the height of the afghanistan war. but then you ended up going for block 52+ in 2005 which that deal went through quiet easily. they had the option to buy 36 but then money problems due to the 2005 earthquake meant you had to go for 18 instead but had options for 18 more.

keep on buying aircraft.. their focus should be on ground forces.. u can not win wars with only air force u need ground forces... as seen in case of yemen and syria.

What ground forces were used to defeat Serbia?

60 units of these are under negotiations as we speak. This explains why PAF is not keen on buying any sizeable fleet of western fighters.

View attachment 290266 View attachment 290267 View attachment 290268 View attachment 290269

@Khafee
well ,congrats for pointing out the obivous, but your forgetting the tfx. pakistan has their eyes on that jet too. but problems with eul may hold the deal , the engines in particular. 60 is a rounded so it will be in multiples of 18 which id the number of jets in a squadron.
i would imagine pac producing them at early mid 2020's after the jf-17 production has ended(for the j31)

then what about afghanistan so much bombardment by air force but no control over country (nato + us )

60 units of these are under negotiations as we speak. This explains why PAF is not keen on buying any sizeable fleet of western fighters.

View attachment 290266 View attachment 290267 View attachment 290268 View attachment 290269

@Khafee

I sincerely hope PAF gets them ASAP.

Any idea on the price per unit?

if you have two sanction prone jets when it makes sense to go for the better one, beside europe is more leaniant than the usa. but if for example pakistan aporached bae and trailed the jets and got to business the deal would go through. i explained why in some posts on this thread. the rafale is easy because its french and nothing else so its easy to buy, if i am not mistaken the rafale was pakistans first option due to that reason and the french presidant at the time was already involved in the augusta scandal so this if it happened this would have followed suit and gone through no problem and the usa cant say no as it was during the height of the afganistan war. at the time musharaf was in power and he knows what his country needs defence wise.

You are right, but you are overlooking two major issues:

1) Infrastructure - The infra for the F-16 is already there, the pilots know it inside out, and so do the techies. Whereas if any other platform were to be inducted, a whole new setup would be required.

2) Sanctions - Although they had to pay 3 times the amount, the PAF kept the Viper fleet flying throughout the Pressler years. This is the most important consideration, you don't want a hanger queen, you want it to be up in the air scaring the crap out of your enemies. This is something neither the EF, not the Rafale offers i.e. multiple suppliers.

then what about afghanistan so much bombardment by air force but no control over country (nato + us )

Mountain warfare is a totally different ball game. The terrain plays an extremely important part. Another reason for the debacle is the lack of support from the local populace. The current Govt. is filled with drug lords running amok, what can one expect?

They wanted Super Hornets but the US is constantly delaying the deal.

This, and the Qatari request for 72 F-15's could get cleared within the next few months.

Dreaming of EF fighters, we can not buy them as it cost too much.Otherwise it is good plate form against Rafael.
If we get enough money, we will prefer to buy it in smart numbers.But still no chance.

I hope they are getting the Typhoon 2020 variant

AIR_Eurofioghter_2020_Concept_Dusk_lg.jpg

Typhoon with Meteor is unbeatable in the air

Typhoon with Paveway IV and Laser J-DAM will pound enemies into smithereens

Typhoone with Brimestone II will be a tanks worse nightmare

Back
Top Bottom