What's new

Kumbh Mela: 'Eight million' bathers on first day of festival

People who want to understand how such a large gathering is managed in Maha Kumbh, they have to understand geography of Allahabad first. Sangam of rivers distribute City in 3 parts, Daraganj (or main city), Jhoonsi and Arail area. All the sides get tents/temporary residence in Govt schools till 10 km Radius or grounds apart from main area.

During main "Snaan" days, all vehicles (except VIPs) are stopped 5-10 Km before Sangam from all the sides and then people walk to get holy dip. This process of Dip starts from mid night (remember it is winter time and temp remains around 2-5 degree celsius) till mid night. If there are lots of gathering at main time then crowd is diverted to other designated place.

If you want to know how business takes place then let me tell you that there are such businessman who earns once in Maha kumbh and accumulate enough to enjoy rest 12 years. :)

I think it is like Buddhism where wrong actions lead to bad Karma for the person doing it.

Right, remember we discussed the same. Buddhism is also a Dharmic religion like Jainism and carry on basic spiritual elements of Hinduism. The only reason why Lord Buddha has started a different religion as he was not happy of few of Hinduism practices mainly violence on creatures.

People who want to understand how such a large gathering is managed in Maha Kumbh, they have to understand geography of Allahabad first. Sangam of rivers distribute City in 3 parts, Daraganj (or main city), Jhoonsi and Arail area. All the sides get tents/temporary residence in Govt schools till 10 km Radius or grounds apart from main area.

During main "Snaan" days, all vehicles (except VIPs) are stopped 5-10 Km before Sangam from all the sides and then people walk to get holy dip. This process of Dip starts from mid night (remember it is winter time and temp remains around 2-5 degree celsius) till mid night. If there are lots of gathering at main time then crowd is diverted to other designated place.

If you want to know how business takes place then let me tell you that there are such businessman who earns once in Maha kumbh and accumulate enough to enjoy rest 12 years. :)

Nice man. I have been to Allahabad once but always got confused about the geography of the area. You explained it quite well. Are you originally from that area? I mean how do you know so much about it?

You are bad man, you woke me up from my bed. Prayag's mention starts in Vedas when Lord Brahma chose this Place to perform Prakrista Yagya (or Yajna) during beginning of Creation of world. Hence Pra-(from Prachin means old) and Yag (Yagya) name given to City.

If you read Agni Purana, then God of Fire mention the great "Fire Cavities" or Kunds which are Holy and flow below to Holy Ganges. This also makes it most important for "Shradh Ceremony" (After death ceremony).
Prayag In Agni Purana

If You read Padam Purana, Brahm Puran, Ramayan, Ramcharit Manas, Mahabharat etc Hindu scriptures. You will also find it's mention and Holier than Thou (in true sense) reference.
Welcome to the official website of Allahabad

I don't dispute any of this. Sorry to wake you up. If people ardently believe in this, then they have every right to celebrate it anyway they choose to. By and large I don't feel the ecological damage is worth it.

Nice man. I have been to Allahabad once but always got confused about the geography of the area. You explained it quite well. Are you originally from that area? I mean how do you know so much about it?

I am born and brought up in Allahabad and happily lived there for 23 years when I had to leave Allahabad to start my journey of life to earn "Roti, Kapda aur Makaan". My family still lives there and my parents are one of those Millions who took holy dip on Makar Sankranti.

Right, remember we discussed the same. Buddhism is also a Dharmic religion like Jainism and carry on basic spiritual elements of Hinduism. The only reason why Lord Buddha has started a different religion as he was not happy of few of Hinduism practices mainly violence on creatures.

And they all originated from the Vedas, right?

Anyway, Buddhism here doesn't involve any pilgrimages of any sort. I think this is common to all forms of East Asian Buddhism. Though there is big potential for tourism.

I don't dispute any of this. Sorry to wake you up. If people ardently believe in this, then they have every right to celebrate it anyway they choose to. By and large I don't feel the ecological damage is worth it.

See, people have to believe what they believe and there can't be everything documented in Hinduism as this is the oldest religion and practices changed during such a long time.

I am not sure what ecological damage we are discussing here. If you know then water of Holy Ganges still does net get any creatures even though you keep it for months. Rest those who claim that It makes river dirty then they should not use the water without processing it as anyways it is the river water which is always open.

Anyway, Buddhism here doesn't involve any pilgrimages of any sort. I think this is common to all forms of East Asian Buddhism. Though there is big potential for tourism.

Actually, There was only one Veda i.e. "Rigved" and later on 3 more Veda emerged from it. So all are originated from Rigveda only.

Pilgrimage is not an enforcement to follow a practice but it is a choice of followers to see/visit and follow the Practice once in lifetime. Many Buddhists from East Asia and Mainly Japan comes to visit Lord Buddha's Place of enlightenment and Ajanta Ellora Caves which are historical/religious importance of them.

Are you Sindhi Yeti.

Im Lohana which is my caste there is Sindhis and Gujaratis among us, Forgot to add though that most the Lohana's left Sindh (blame Muhammad bin Qasim) and many converted to Islam they are known as Memon now.

poonampandeymahakumbh550.jpg

Nice-- :smitten:-​

perhaps she is praying for the next world cup to take place soon.

No. Rather Vedas originated from ancient India. Buddha said Brahmins have corrupted vedas, and rejected vedic rituals and caste system. Buddhism and Jainism are Shramanic traditions [The Shramana movement was a Non-Vedic movement parallel to Vedic Hinduism in ancient India. The Shramana tradition gave rise to Jainism, Buddhism, and Yoga, and was responsible for the related concepts of saṃsāra (the cycle of birth and death) and moksha (liberation from that cycle)]. They do not accept authority of Vedas, i.e. they do not consider Vedas to be infallible word of god and did not accept monopolistic supremacy of Brahmins.
In the photos you see here, the Sadhus are from many different sects and sub-sects. Many of these sects also rejected orthodox Brahminism and caste system.

Back
Top Bottom