What's new

KSA : Kingdom Tower (Mile-High Tower)

Jazak'Allahu Khair ya akhi.

I pray for the Custodians of the Two Holy Masaajid complete and absolute success.

The country is in good hands as of now bro. One of the most rapidly growing countries on the planet right now and already among the 20 biggest economies of the world with one of the youngest populations. The non-oil/gas/mineral/natural resources sector is also among the fastest growing in the Muslim region despite many laws that hinder economic growth which hopefully will end their day in the future. Now with the stock market having opened up for foreign investments for the first time things will move quickly forward it seems. Also don't forget that the GCC might one day not only merge into 1 single country but even expand. The process in terms of integrating various areas is an ongoing and increasing process. I am hopeful about the future in other words.

News of the height of the skyscraper being slightly bigger than initially thought. Now the number 1082 meters is being circulated. Potentially more depending on what the base can handle obviously. Those 1082 meters is taller than dozens of countries highest geographical point. Actually taller than the highest points of 106 countries/overseas territories to be precise.:lol: Amazing really.

More photos:

15062483491_f472d7864e_h.jpg

rOig3O3.jpg

@WebMaster @Aeronaut @Chak Bamu @Jungibaaz

Gentlemen can you change the title of this thread? It's not going to be mile high (1600 meters tall) as initially planned but only about 1000-1100 meters tall. Please change the title to "1 km high skyscraper".

Thank you.

Last edited:
Take a look at those giant cranes!

011fd1a7e53bfdcbb715edbb9028aa09.jpg

eb1605f62dd9ec0d7e21d953e9c82bee.jpg

1ca887e73dd3ecb96ba836599211315e.jpg

9ea2bc05e75990e8202dbc19b258bfdc.jpg

27f123a89276541e69b2f5627b15453f.jpg

d29f60e8ae65065693d9fb3c031e9feb.jpg

Look how far from the cranes are visible
972c6177a63759bef2cbed5ac2963f4f.jpg

f88286167714a02624134670c7143819._.jpg

6c2a715d3d8621d4b5203cc8dd56bca4.gif

:rofl::enjoy:

Attachments

• fdd0d71f93b81ef730d5d5976af81885.jpg
    fdd0d71f93b81ef730d5d5976af81885.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 23
I heard the news that this tower has been sold by Waleed bin Talal. Is it true?

man i feel that work pace is slow . its must increase the speed.

Labor crackdown bro... Saray project hi slow hue hain :P

I heard the news that this tower has been sold by Waleed bin Talal. Is it true?

Labor crackdown bro... Saray project hi slow hue hain :P
tower in fact owned by mr.waleed
and its strategic project . uncle fakkeh must give jawazat immunity to illegal works to work here free of fear . as new airport :rofl:

tower in fact owned by mr.waleed
and its strategic project . uncle fakkeh must give jawazat immunity to illegal works to work here free of fear . as new airport :rofl:

You mean to say that illegal foreigners are working at new airport project or legal workers but having different sponsorship?

man i feel that work pace is slow . its must increase the speed.
No, mate, they are almost on schedule. Burj Khalifa was also not on schedule completely. The deadline is 2019. I think that they will reach that deadline on time. But even if they are 6 months or even 1 year late nothing big is going to happen because of that other than pissing off a lot of companies that have invested heavily in the Kingdom City project etc.

High and mighty: Kingdom Tower and the rise of the billion-dollar building
29 September 2014 Julian Turner

61e102d65b5c46c901f95307ea192f24.jpg

Scheduled for completion by 2019, the $1.2bn Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, is being heralded as the world’s first 1km high building. We talk to Clive Trencher, senior risk consultant at Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty, about taking skyscraper construction to new heights.
Breathtaking in conception and execution, the Kingdom Tower is a building without precedent. Upon completion, expected by 2019, the 'megatall' (600m-plus) skyscraper will stand a staggering 1km high, almost four times taller than Europe's highest building, the Shard in London, and more than 170m higher than the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, currently the world record holder at 828m.

The centrepiece of the £13bn Kingdom City development north of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the building will spread across an area of 530,000m², require around half a million square metres of concrete and 80,000t of steel for its 200 floors, and will house a five-star hotel, apartments, office space and an observatory.

Ground was broken on the £780m project in late April. Over the next five years, a peak daily workforce of around 6,000 will toil 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to overcome the unique challenges that the new generation super and mega-tall structures pose to contractors, architects and insurers.

"I've worked in construction all my life and maintaining the verticality of relatively short buildings of 20-30 stories is in itself a challenge; however, when you are dealing with buildings of 600m, 1,000m or even 1,500m high, then that's an extraordinarily difficult undertaking," says Clive Trencher, senior risk consultant at engineering insurer Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty (AGCS).

"I visited the Kingdom Tower site in June and one of the initial technical challenges that the client has had to overcome is the ground conditions. There is not a rock layer that can adequately support the weight of the building, so the engineers have had to bore piles down to a depth 160m - that's equivalent to a 50-storey building's height inserted into the ground before you've even started to work upwards."

Core values: foundations, sway minimisation and elevator technology

Trencher is ideally placed to comment on the structural challenges that super and megatall buildings present, having undertaken holistic risk assessments of flagship projects including the Shard and 20 Fenchurch Street in London, Taiwan's Taipei 101, the Burj Khalifa and, now, the Kingdom Tower.

"By definition these buildings are tall and slender and whatever foundation system you use has to be capable of supporting the vertical weight of the towers," he explains. "One of the big issues we have is that the taller you go, so the degree of sway increases. Humans are very receptive to acceleration and so what you try to do is produce a stiff structure that will primarily reduce wind-induced sway. However, around the world there are also locations where earthquakes are a major risk so you are also dealing with ground acceleration.

He adds: "The planned layout of the main tower is Y-shaped, which was deemed to be the best compromise to ensure the optimum load spread and load distribution of the cores. In terms of innovative materials, we work with extremely high strength concrete, which is needed for super-tall building purely because of the extreme weight that is imposed on them."

Unlike Taipei 101, which incorporates tuned mass dampers, the Kingdom Tower relies instead on a reinforced structural core design that extends for the full height of the building.

"Maintaining verticality as the building height increases is important for all structures but one of the fundamentals of design is that you try and keep the mass of the building within the centroid of the pile or foundation system," Trencher says. "The frame tends to be relatively lightweight, so there is a reinforced concrete core, which also serves as the main access points for lifts and building services."

Current technology limits elevator travel in super and megatall buildings to around 600m, mainly due to challenges with braking and cabling. The Kingdom Tower will feature 59 lifts, including five double deckers - those that take visitors to the observatory will travel at 10m per second.

"Traditionally, lifts have not been part of the evacuation process, so there are practical difficulties in terms of how you service a building in an emergency and the speed at which lifts operate because of the effects of G-force," says Trencher. "To provide necessary mechanical and electrical equipment you also need intermediate stations or levels, but these can take valuable letting space out of super and megatall buildings, which contain multi-user commercial, retail, leisure and residential spaces."

The heat is on: slip forming, real-time monitoring and water maintenance
Rigorous materials-testing is a fundamental aspect of any construction project, but the scorching temperatures of Saudi Arabia present contractors with a unique challenge, as Trencher explains.

"In the Middle East you have very high ambient temperatures and one of the major issues in pouring large volumes of concrete is that it is an exothermic chemical reaction and gives off heat. Therefore, you have to regulate very carefully how a block cools because the high differential temperatures can physically crack the concrete - and cracked concrete is not a good physical medium.

He adds: "The client has extensive instrumentation of these large concrete pours. Thermal couples measure both the internal and external temperature and the entire building is shrouded in insulating material to let these vast volumes of concrete cool down naturally without the outside being affected. Also, nobody has ever gone to those heights, so another major challenge we are facing is gravity. Attempting to pump concrete in its fluid state vertically 1,000m has never been done before."

Like the Shard before it, the Kingdom Tower's central core is being constructed using slip forming, a method in which concrete is poured into a structure that is continuously in flux, resulting in superior, joint-free buildings that can be worked on around the clock. However, high temperatures in Jeddah mean that slip-form structures must be monitored to ensure that structural integrity is maintained.

4e0f40a5aa40611a1e66ac11b6116f9a.jpg

"Once the production of the main core starts it will run 24/7 - that's the economics of how you build these types of buildings as a continuous slip form," explains Trencher. "The slip form central core is working 24 hours a day and you are confronted with major solar gains in that time, so the building will tend to move away from the sun, and as the sun tracks around that changes. As a result, the Kingdom Tower has a network of real-time monitoring stations with corresponding trigger points where they can adjust the slip form to take into account any deviations."

The chemical make-up of the water in Jeddah has also tested the engineers' ingenuity.

"One of the issues we have in the Middle East - particularly in this location which is on the shoreline of the Red Sea - is that the groundwater is very saline and extraordinarily aggressive to concrete," says Trencher. "To mitigate some of the effects of that, and to stop engineers having to pump large volumes of salt-laden water, the base level of the tower has been set approximately 3m above the existing ground level."

Tall orders: the building boom in Asia and the Middle East
The 100th supertall building of over 300m will be built in 2014 and more than half of world's tallest buildings have been built in last four years, with the high-rise boom in Asia and Middle East leading the way, accounting for 90% of recent supertall projects worldwide.

Driven by rapid economic and demographic growth, urbanisation, investor appetite for flagship real estate assets and lower labour costs than in the traditional Western markets, the trend is set to continue. In June, China announced initial plans for its own 1km tall building, the Phoenix Towers.

With this in mind, what specific skill-sets will the next generation of construction engineers and risk assessors need to compete in a globalised marketplace, and how does Trencher envisage the super and megatall sector evolving in terms of new technologies, building materials and design elements?

"From design, through construction to procurement, the advent of computers has revolutionised construction imaging," he says. "Robotics may take over some construction tasks and in the UK we have witnessed a drive for off-site production, with only plug-and-play connections required on-site.

"Within my career computer design, modelling, 3D and sophisticated stress analysis software packages have been introduced and they certainly will continue to evolve. Mankind will not stand still on this - we will innovate but there needs to be an emphasis on these new innovations being used correctly."

SOURCE

@WebMaster @Horus @Chak Bamu @Jungibaaz @Manticore

Can one of you gentlemen change the title of this thread to "KSA: Kingdom Tower (the upcoming tallest skyscraper in the world)"? The Kingdom Tower is "only" going to be about 1050 meters tall (they might end up building it a bit taller like with Burj Khalifa). The mile-high plan was abolished as 1600 meters is not foreseeable right now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Wrong @Imran Khan

Al-Waleed is far from being the sole owner of Kingdom Tower. Let's see the reality for once.

The Kingdom Tower Company has 33,35% of the shares, the Saudi Binladin Group 16,63%, Abrar International Holding Company 33,35% and Abdul-Rahman Hassan Sharbatly (businessman) 16,67%.

is it an office tower, is it a residential tower, what is it for, if office use, than does Saudis has enough office workers to occupy this if so what will happen to the building vacated

My humble opinion is for Saudis to use their money to industrialize their country and the Muslims worlds to provide jobs for all Nations Islamic or others. .

Make jets, tanks, fridges stoves, televisions, look at south Korea, they have done tremendous things, do the right thing for humanity and not for ego saying look i have got the biggest one, the tower of all of them

is it an office tower, is it a residential tower, what is it for, if office use, than does Saudis has enough office workers to occupy this if so what will happen to the building vacated

My humble opinion is for Saudis to use their money to industrialize their country and the Muslims worlds to provide jobs for all Nations Islamic or others. .

Make jets, tanks, fridges stoves, televisions, look at south Korea, they have done tremendous things, do the right thing for humanity and not for ego saying look i have got the biggest one, the tower of all of them

You seem not only rather ignorant but clueless too. Did you even bother to read this thread before replying? You just jump into this thread writing nonsense without even reading what is written in this thread. No offense.

The Kingdom Tower is part of the King Abdullah Economic City. KAUST is also nearby.

King Abdullah Economic City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

King Abdullah University of Science and Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This will be a huge tourist attraction and will earn itself in many times over.

Besides the Kingdom Tower is not paid by the government but private investors. You only have to look at my post number 100 in this thread but you did not bother doing even that.

KSA is a G-20 Major Economies Member State. 58% of our income (by now) is not from the gas/oil sector. Our non-oil/gas sector grows with 6-8% each year. Our lands have been blessed by many riches since ancient times. Don't blame us for that. Income is income anyway.

KSA has invested in dozens of industrial cities on a world scale that are going to be built and made other huge projects in that regard. One just need to study such projects a bit.

Yes, and how many Muslim countries are comparable to South Korea in that regard? Let me tell you. 0. But I don't care about that. It's like comparing apples and pears for obvious reasons. KSA is doing a lot of right things recently and the future is very bright.

Last edited:
You seem not only rather ignorant but clueless too. Did you even bother to read this thread before replying? You just jump into this thread writing nonsense without even reading what is written in this thread. No offense.

The Kingdom Tower is part of the King Abdullah Economic City. KAUST is also nearby.

King Abdullah Economic City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

King Abdullah University of Science and Technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This will be a huge tourist attraction and will earn itself in many times over.

Besides the Kingdom Tower is not paid by the government but private investors. You only have to look at my post number 100 in this thread but you did not bother doing even that.

KSA is a G-20 Major Economies Member State. 58% of our income (by now) is not from the gas/oil sector. Our non-oil/gas sector grows with 6-8% each year. Our lands have been blessed by many riches since ancient times. Don't blame us for that. Income is income anyway.

KSA has invested in dozens of industrial cities on a world scale that are going to be built and made other huge projects in that regard. One just need to study such projects a bit.

Yes, and how many Muslim countries are comparable to South Korea in that regard? Let me tell you. 0. But I don't care about that. It's like comparing apples and pears for obvious reasons. KSA is doing a lot of right things recently and the future is very bright.
Why are you burning with anger, i asked question than you start war, I have yet to see a product living North America built by Saudia, but i see every thing from a fantastic Tvs, to fridges to washers and dryers to computer like Samsung, tablets, cell phones, and not to mention cars, cars, and more beautiful cars, i have yet to see any such thing built in S.A.

Its amazing but its happening in our life time people are competing to build tall buildings in middle of deserts

Back
Top Bottom