What's new

Kosovo declared 'fully independent

BLACKEAGLE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Jordan
Kosovo.jpg

Western powers overseeing Kosovo have announced the end of their supervision of the tiny Balkan nation.

Kosovo had been overseen by a group made up of 23 EU countries, the US and Turkey since 2008, when it unilaterally declared independence from Serbia.

US President Barack Obama said Monday marked a "historic milestone" for Kosovo, which he said had made "significant progress".

But Serbia dismissed the sovereignty announcement as meaningless.

It does not recognise the secession of Kosovo and regards it as part of Serbia.

"The supervision of Kosovo is finished," Dutch diplomat Pieter Feith, the highest international representative in Kosovo, told a press conference.

"The International Steering Group has decided to end the period of [Kosovo's] supervised independence," he said, speaking in Albanian.

Turnaround
Kosovan Prime Minister Hashim Thaci called the decision a "historic turnaround" for the state.

"This is an international success for Kosovo which confirms that the international community respects Kosovo," he said.

He acknowledged that there was still work to be done, above all integrating the Serb majority in northern Kosovo, which is out of the ethnic-Albanian government's control.

A Nato-led peacekeeping force in charge of security and a European mission on the rule of law will continue to operate in the country.

But Mr Obama said that the state had already made great strides.

"With the optimism, energy and determination characteristic of its people, Kosovo has made significant progress in solidifying the gains of independence and in building the institutions of a modern, multi-ethnic, inclusive and democratic state," he said.

More than 90 countries, including the US and most of the EU, have recognised Kosovo.

However many others, such as Russia, Georgia and China, have refused to do so. Some fear encouraging secessionist movements in their own countries.

Serbian Prime Minister Ivica Dacic stressed Belgrade would never recognise Kosovo's independence "supervised or unsupervised", and dismissed the decision as meaningless.

BBC News - Kosovo declared 'fully independent'

I remember the heinous massacres that were committed against them, I was about 6 years old and couldn't understand what was going on over there, I thought it was between the west and Muslims. However, their suffering moved all Muslims. They deserve all the best.

We want to recognize you, but can't due to russian pressure! We are Sorry

I remember the heinous massacres that were committed against them, I was about 6 years old and couldn't understand what was going on over there, I thought it was between the west and Muslims. However, their suffering moved all Muslims. They deserve all the best.

many americans and western soldiers died protecting muslims against christians...

We want to recognize you, but can't due to russian pressure! We are Sorry

If you cannot stand up to pressure must you offer to recognize this nation ?

What is trying to be said ?.. I love you but I haven't got the courage to ask for your hand coz my father does not agree ?

Often its better to stay silent.

If the US and Europe can recognize Kosovo, why can't they recognize Palestine?

They only do it for their benefit, they don't care about the well being of Muslims.

Ḥashshāshīn;3408539 said:
If the US and Europe can recognize Kosovo, why can't they recognize Palestine?

They only do it for their benefit, they don't care about the well being of Muslims.

You should first critisize your own rather that attacking others. Still majority of muslim nations doesn't recognize Kosova as an independent state. It is a shame really... The ones who talk about suffering of muslims are against independence of genocide victim muslims. Kosova is independent thanks to NATO and you should atleast thank them for it.

P.S: Lets not forget Turkish and Arabic volunteers who fought for Albanian people and donated billions of dollars. They deserve our graditute.

Wish you well.

Now.. who's going to add the new flag to PDF? :D

My congratulations and welcome for the world newest nation, Kosovo!

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom