What's new

Killer Siachen — 'where a Pakistani soldier dies every four days from the cold'

Many are claiming its under Indian control and Pakistan has nothing to do with it. There's no even any presence of Pakistan armed force. These soldiers on Saichen are not there for claiming it to be their property. This is all about securing the countries. Otherwise, there's no point to put them in this severe cold weather.

Those claims are true. Pakistan is not on the actual Siachen glacier. Pakistan controls the west of Saltoro Ridge. These maps might be helpful

Map_Siachen_Kashmir_Standoff_2003_HR.png
Siachen.jpg

It was a very recent news, Pakistan's armed force helped Indian armed force on Saichen. With zero presence?

Take a look at the maps of the area. PA is not present on the glacier. The reason why they offered help is they are on another ridge. But not on the glacier. There have been attempts by the SSG to take a position. But never succeeded.

This is a false myth propogated by the PA that they are on the glacier. It is further propagated by people on this forum using PA activities in another area and calling it Siachen.

Fact : Saltoro is under Indian control.
Fact : Siachen is to the east of this.
Fact : PA is not present on the glacier.

And it doesn't bother us either. India can take all the pride in occupying a frozen wasteland. As long as you are in no position to threaten GB or any of its towns we don't mind you foolishly taking pride on occupying ice.

Agreed. So you are happy that we control it. Please explain it to the lady @Ammara Chaudhry which part of the glacier the PA is on. :D

It is better to call the stalemate as the struggle to control Saltoro Ridge.

Its quite simple. We cannot come down from there. Pak cannot come up. So status quo.

Take a look at the maps of the area. PA is not present on the glacier. The reason why they offered help is they are on another ridge. But not on the glacier. There have been attempts by the SSG to take a position. But never succeeded.

This is a false myth propogated by the PA that they are on the glacier. It is further propagated by people on this forum using PA activities in another area and calling it Siachen.

Fact : Saltoro is under Indian control.
Fact : Siachen is to the east of this.
Fact : PA is not present on the glacier.

The most important part is the fact that primary sources support the Indian narrative more than the Pakistani one. Ever wonder why India stopped at the Saltoro Ridge?

Its quite simple. We cannot come down from there. Pak cannot come up. So status quo.

This will go on until the costs become unbearable for one side or the other.

This will go on until the costs become unbearable for one side or the other.
Given the advancement in Technology, I dont see that happening anytime soon. As a matter of fact its much easier maintaining a presence on the Siachen heights today than it was 10 years back.

The most important part is the fact that primary sources support the Indian narrative more than the Pakistani one. Ever wonder why India stopped at the Saltoro Ridge?

Actually, my understanding was that if the IA proceeded down, it would be logistically problematic without controlling the western route to the glacier. Any other reason? Would be happy to read something new.

The problem to demilitarize is going to be even more difficult. Pakistan considers it to be part of the overall Kashmir issue. Hence, as per its point of view, Pak would be with-in its rights to occupy it, if the IA vacates it. The IA is not interested in vacating it, for lack of better words, trust.

If I were there PA commander, I would say, the Indians are not going to come down unless there is a war. If they come down, they are at our mercy. Withdraw to a suitable location. Gain the moral high ground and save logistical costs. The IA will continue sitting at the top.

Ever wonder why India stopped at the Saltoro Ridge?

Because that would have been a suicide mission. Pakistani troops were also advancing from the western foothills and India already occupied all the higher peaks and gained a strategic victory. Actually this area is better accessible from the Pakistani side than Indian. Any further advancement would have resulted in a direct confrontation with the Pakistani troops and that would have been a logistical nightmare for India.

Actually, my understanding was that if the IA proceeded down, it would be logistically problematic without controlling the western route to the glacier. Any other reason? Would be happy to read something new.

The problem to demilitarize is going to be even more difficult. Pakistan considers it to be part of the overall Kashmir issue. Hence, as per its point of view, Pak would be with-in its rights to occupy it, if the IA vacates it. The IA is not interested in vacating it, for lack of better words, trust.

If I were there PA commander, I would say, the Indians are not going to come down unless there is a war. If they come down, they are at our mercy. Withdraw to a suitable location. Gain the moral high ground and save logistical costs. The IA will continue sitting at the top.

Because that would have been a suicide mission. Pakistani troops were also advancing from the western foothills and India already occupied all the higher peaks and gained a strategic victory. Actually this area is better accessible from the Pakistani side than Indian. Any further advancement would have resulted in direct confrontation with the Pakistani troops and it would have been a logistical nightmare for India.

To make a long story short, Point NJ9842 was short of the glaciers, so the continuation of the CFL legally goes North to the glaciers and then along the natural watershed, which is the Saltoro Ridge. Had NJ9842 been on a glacier, then Pakistan's PoV would have been defensible. A small, but very important distinction.

Last edited:
Wake up and smell the coffee!!!
Will you read the TITLE of this thread pls???

I know the title. It is the price for defending against an aggressor. Better than being an aggressor and then dying like cukkoos on occupying an icebox.

It would have been just as important even if it existed in Rajasthan.

No logic here. If it would have been in Rajhastan then it wouldn't have been ever contested by Pakistan.

Agreed. So you are happy that we control it. Please explain it to the lady @Ammara Chaudhry which part of the glacier the PA is on. :D

Every Pakistani is happy. We all know the futility of Indian actions. @Ammara Chaudhry might be unhappy with human cost of Indian adventures. Obviously she has a strong point too.

No logic here. If it would have been in Rajhastan then it wouldn't have been ever contested by Pakistan.
Had it been in Rajasthan it would have been away from China and would have lost some of its strategic importance. But you guys are unpredictable.

well buddy, the deaths are on both sides due to these killer avalanches.. or have you forgotten the one that took away 130 brave men of Pak Army ?

And the Pakistani brass does not share your "I dont care" attitude towards Siachen in my view. Next to Kashmir dispute, Siachen is always item number 2 on any Pakistani version of Talks agenda.

No I never forgot anything. I know our 130 soldiers were martyred defending our territory. they were not aggressors like poor Indian soldiers who perished a few days ago. Even Indians say they were not on Siachen. So they died defending enemy aggression. Nothing wrong in it.

As for being number 2 on talks. It is a dispute. It is obvious it would be on talks.

Had it been in Rajasthan it would have been away from China and would have also lost some of its strategic importance. But you guys are unpredictable.

Siachen has no special strategic importance. All the BS written about its strategic importance is just to justify Indian aggression. You are getting nothing after occupying Siachen. You are not threatening Pakistan in any manner after occupying Siachen. Close by major towns like Skardu, Khaplu and even military base like Dansem that is situated right next to Saltoro ridge are completely secured after Pakistan army posts and presence in that area. KKH is far away from Siachen and cannot be threatened by Indian troops on Siachen. Even K2 the second highest peak in the world is secure. You cannot move an inch forward. You are locked where you are.

Keep coming with all the stories about Siachen's "strategic importance" and keep fooling yourself. Pakistan already shares a hundreds of miles border with China anyways.

No I never forgot anything. I know our 130 soldiers were martyred defending our territory. they were not aggressors like poor Indian soldiers who perished a few days ago. Even Indians say they were not on Siachen. So they died defending enemy aggression. Nothing wrong in it.
whatever floats your boat mate.. :)

Back
Top Bottom