What's new

Killer Siachen — 'where a Pakistani soldier dies every four days from the cold'

Pakistan Army needs to do more research on ensuring the safety of our troops from harsh weather conditions on this front. There is not going to be a solution any time soon though I wish to be proven wrong but this is the reality on ground. Indian Army has improved its living condition on the glacier and it has an advantage of steady sloop as well. While in Pakistan's case, the army positions are located in narrow valleys between the Soltoro Ridge Line and mountains to its West. Look at the map of the entire region. Being dug in this narrow geographical feature has created its own share of problems. Winds cuts in more aggressively, massive avalanches always threaten and it created a predictable line of movement of troops which is always give advantage to enemy. Pakistan cannot change the geography of the region but will certain need to adapt to the situation. Going for more secure thermal suits and gear can be a good starting point.

They are always needed but their need increases when you have your own former military generals and soldier start fighting against you. So it makes complete sense.

You just expected that Pakistan would accept to your aggression in Siachen and won't do anything in return. Just like you expect Pakistan to accept your aggression as a solution for Siachen conflict.

Nuclear umbrella applies to both. But more to India since it is Pakistan that has rejected to any "no first use policy". India has a no first use policy. At least publicly.

As I said. What you occupy is strategic. This is the theory behind all those think tanks and their thinking.

As for costs. they are still huge and unnecessary. Even PA doesn't get any special Siachen grant from federal government nor it asked for any rise in budget so they can spend it in Siachen. But still costs are big and unnecessary. Yeah India may be all richie rich. We hear that 24/7 from Indians who think their country is a supa puwa. But still it is one that cost that can be easily avoided if India agrees to sacrifice its classical insane attitude. But I think that is too much a cost for India.

There are still casualties and injuries due to different reasons in Siachen. Not all are reported in media. But anyways you can continue to occupy frozen wasteland. Nobody in this world wants to admit that they have gone mad. Same is the case with India.

Well let them think that they are occupying something very "strategic". At least they have a lot of ice to make gola ganda 365 days a year. You just can't ignore the tasty gola ganda. Can you? ;)

Absolutely agree with you bro, end of the day no matter how much Indians proclaim advancements in technology suit and gear, the human body is not made to survive above 18,000 feet where you suffer memory blackouts, physical exhaustion, breathing problems and so on.

Oh really so the Indian forces went there for a picnic in a frozen wasteland stretching miles and miles.
Seems like either you are ignorant or playing one...let me clarify....India's aim was to capture Siachen and that's about it...no more no less...that's why there is not a single attempt to move forward beyond the glacier...if you know of some then plz let me know...IN other words even though PA did make numerous attempts to thwart IA from Siachen however there is not a single incident from this side to move beyond glacier...so your claim about more sinister ideas than glacier might not hold water...no??

They are always needed but their need increases when you have your own former military generals and soldier start fighting against you. So it makes complete sense.
Areesh dude for nth time you are mixing the dates...i am not sure that you are even realizing that you are contradicting yourself here....There were reports of mutiny in IA(though very benign in nature still) post operation blue star not prior to that...Plz understand Siachen happened in April whereas june 84 is when blue star was conducted...the fact of the matter is Punjab had nothing to do with Siachen...not even remotely....build up to Siachen happened many many years ago...anyways since you are hell bent on somehow fitting Punjab into the bill then i can't help...

You just expected that Pakistan would accept to your aggression in Siachen and won't do anything in return. Just like you expect Pakistan to accept your aggression as a solution for Siachen conflict.

:disagree: What it has anything to do with your claims about our phyche and window of opportunity?? Given our phyche is there to defeat Pakistan no matter what...and there was always a window of opportunity to do a kargil to Pakistan i wonder why we didn't do that??

Nuclear umbrella applies to both. But more to India since it is Pakistan that has rejected to any "no first use policy". India has a no first use policy. At least publicly.
Just because we don't have no first use policy does it mean that a kargil like conflict can be done to India without worrying about nukes however vice-versa is nuke show?? Don't you think there is a flaw here??

India's aim was more than Siachen but stopped rightly by PA otherwise they were advancing for a surprise turned into misadventure but still holds the position only to prove hard that it has strategical value hence attempted to occupy otherwise there was no PA post India misadventure and if India step back now then there will be questions beyond imagination by their own people.

Back
Top Bottom