What's new

Kill The Dowry.

I mean, what is the big deal about it? in Turkey dowry consists of a small chest containing some towels, clothes and some small stuff. Most people don't make it.

Hardly a social problem :) what the actual fvck?

The actual fvck is in some communities the dowry goes for more than $250,000 placing enormous pressure on the bride's family and contributing indirectly to discrimination against girls and baby girls and female infanticide.

I mean, what is the big deal about it? in Turkey dowry consists of a small chest containing some towels, clothes and some small stuff. Most people don't make it.

Hardly a social problem :) what the actual fvck?

Maybe its not a big issue in Turkey because you guys maybe are more civilized in dowry matters (dont really know the social customs and traditions of Dowry in Turkey).

But in India, families ask for crazy dowries. In the higher classes, dowry demands these days go upto $100,000+.

There have been cases in India recently of parents aborting female children, and going for male children because they dont want to pay crazy amounts in dowry. This has even caused a skewed sex ratio in India. What can we say, we are a greedy evil country :(

Refusing to take dowry was one of my, engagement conditions. This insanity makes me sick to my stomach.
LOL... Well I didn't have to put such a condition. I just said no special gifts on marriage, just send her with one set of her bikini's...

Jokes aside, in Pushton custom we don't have this evil at ALL!

I don't think Mahr is dowry, it may be considered as Nazrana.

Haq Mehr [Right Of the Bride] is given To the wife By a Muslim husband. It can be as small as 20 Rupees, the bride can choose to refuse to take it or some brides i have seen, simply ask their grooms to buy food with that money and distribute it amongst the poor. Mehr is a wedding gift, every Muslim husband is bound to pay to his bride before he could even touch her, doesn't have to be big at all.

LOL... Well I didn't have to put such a condition. I just said no special gifts on marriage, just send her with one set of her bikini's...

Thats nice of you, my family has no tradition for dowry but still, i am trying to set an example for my younger folks to follow. It will also give me the moral ground to kick their Arse if they ever demand.

Good for you and the Pushtoons but was the bikini set necessary ??

Wow, on wikipedia it says it's causing sex-selective abortions..

man a tradition is just a tradition if it is to fvck up your life just don't practice it.

two families can help finance the marriage to a level but then couples need to make a living on their own.

Wow, on wikipedia it says it's causing sex-selective abortions..

man a tradition is just a tradition if it is to fvck up your life just don't practice it.

two families can help finance the marriage to a level but then couples need to make a living on their own.

Message is plain in simple for those who do this cowardly act and demand dowry.

If you are needy Islam offers you Zakat, so you don't go around demanding dowry from the brides family, to fulfill your needs.

182325_361122930649486_1964344484_n.png

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand,the message that Dowry [Jahez], is a curse. If you are a Muslim, than it is almost Haram, if you look at it through a human perspective, its a cruse and a custom that represents stone age.Lets divorce the dowry, for good.

Its a public service message.

*Translation for Urdu Line in the Middle: "If you are needy, than you should collect your Zakat not the Dowry."
The dowry has destroyed life of several women it should be banned even the rich should be banned to give anything in dowry to their daughters only by doing this we can stop this evil

The dowry has destroyed life of several women it should be banned even the rich should be banned to give anything in dowry to their daughters only by doing this we can stop this evil

For Once i liked something said by @Zarvan . Good stuff , now i will not open a thread asking members to donate money to put you on one way flight to Yemen :rofl: :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Prophet's daughter received a,mat a few clay pots and a grindstone when He could afford to marry her off with, camels laden with luxuries. The man lead by the example, for the rest of us to follow. Its haram and evil and it should be banned in the constitution, with crippling penalties for the "Look at me" brigade of Pakistani society.

Back
Top Bottom