What's new

Khushal Khan Khattak

Dost Mohammad Khan Kamil was the first Pashtun scholar to initiate research on Khattak along scientific lines. He wrote two important and comprehensive books, one in English called On a Foreign Approach to Khushhal and the other in Urdu titled Khushhal Khan Khattak published in 1952.

The great name in the history of the pashtuns .
At a time he had several Qualities.
The chief of Khattak tribe
The great hunter of the eagle and had all kinds of eagles.
The great fighter,He fought several wars against Mughul empires.
The father of 62 sons and 34 daughters.
The great learned man of fiqah.( Islamic Law )
The author of several books.
The great poet of pushto language.
Age 82 years.
How he maintain these all jobs in his life? it is a wonderful to study his history.

The great name in the history of the pashtuns .
At a time he had several Qualities.
The chief of Khattak tribe
The great hunter of the eagle and had all kinds of eagles.
The great fighter,He fought several wars against Mughul empires.
The father of 62 sons and 34 daughters.
The great learned man of fiqah.( Islamic Law )
The author of several books.
The great poet of pushto language.
Age 82 years.
How he maintain these all jobs in his life? it is a wonderful to study his history.
Sad thing is that his Autobiography is lost, it would have been a gem for the historians.

According to Hayat-i-Afghani, Shah Jahan conferred upon Khushal Khattak the jagir of worth 11 lakh rupees for maintaining the force of 500 cavalry and 1000 infantry. Khushal Khattak was very loyal to Shah Jahan and participated in several campaigns in India and central Asia, as well as Yusufzais for the cause of Mughals. The imprisonment by Aurangzeb, changed him, and he greatly regretted for being the stooge of Mughals for so long........He took up the cause of his nation and embraced patriotism. According to Sir Jadunuth Sarkar, the Afghan uprising of 1672-1677, gave the break and chance to Shivaji to recover from their losses, as best of the Mughal commanders and soldiers were busy in the Afghan frontier.

Khushal Baba has two phases of his eventful life, the first spent in the service of the Moghals and the second half endeavoured as a Pakhtun hero and warrior. He never tried to conceal his true self and has frankly admitted his association with the Moghals loudly in his poems. His poetry carries a chronological record of all events ,he went through his life.

Swat Nama narrates the " confessions" of Khushal Baba in a very bold manner. Look at a few couplets with English translation ;

Da Maghul da para maa toore wahale
Pushtano ba raa ta kre dere kanzale
"I fought for the Moghals with my sword and the Pashtoons used to abuse me for this."

Ka wrakzee dee ka Bangash ao ka Yousaf dee
Dvee hama zama da taigh pa ta'asaf dee
"Whether it is the Orakzais, Bangash or Yousafzais, they all are lamenting the fact that my sword is not on their side"

Pushtana me pa zargono dee wajalee
Pa saroono ba ye khra ghwaya lwashalee
" I have killed thousands of Pashtoons, so much so that the animals used to walk over their dead bodies"

Laa tar wosa da saroono yai anbaar de
Pa Attak pa Peshawar ke yai Minaar de
" Even now there are heaps of their skulls, while in Attock and Peshawar one can see their skull-towers still in existence"

Ka Maghul sara zama da zra ikhlaas wai
Khudai khabar de ka Pushtoon zama na Khlaas wai
"Had I been loyal to the Moghals,God knows if any Pashtoon could have been safe from my sword"

Nan da waaro Pushtano pa nang walaar yam
Daa che hase pa har dar har drang walaar yam
" I now stand for the honour of all Pashtoons, which takes me from house to house to beg for their help and unity"

(ijaz yusufzai)

Back
Top Bottom