What's new

Khiljis are Pashtuns

@kalu_miah, just because there is small presence of khalaj in iran, doesnt mean khalaj are not ghilzais. Ghilzais became very important power players in iran in 18th century. One of the ghilzai , a general of nadir shah, even became ruler of azerbaijan and westren persia. Many Ghilzais are still nomads, called kuchis, like the khilji, they live in tents and carry cattles with them. These nomads migrate back and forth between northren afghanistan and westren pakistan. In the past , some of these nomads might have settled in iran.
Your assessment is that khiljis were still turks in 12th century, while all the historical sources agree that they were not recognized turks at all in delhi. As @charon_2 said they were pashtunized long time ago, in 8th century or even before that period. My theory is that they were not exactly turkic group but east iranian stock like backtrian, sogdians, scythians etc. Who got absorbed in another east iranian group , pashtuns. In 12th century they were fully pashtunized but were trying to claim turkic identity to give legetimacy to their rule in the turkic dominated nobility of india. Proper turks had very strong reasons to reject their bogus claim. If khushal identify jalaludin khilji as a man from country of ghilzais then it means it was a common knowledge in india that khiljis were afghans/pashtuns (khushal khan served mughals in india).

I believe this assessment of yours is probably correct

There is a lot of inferences here and interpretation and assumptions.
Turks could mean anything in the above context, as it can mean Mongol [ Mughal ] too in the case of Babur, who you called a Turk. What it shows is that being a Turk is synonymous with being a Mughal [Mongol]

Ghilzais are a mix-breed between Turks and local people.
Because babur identify himself as turk, so are the uzbeks of todays uzbekistan. Bactrians, kushans, sogdians, scythians etc of central asia and north-central afghanistan are described as east iranian people. Same might be case with khilji people. Khilji's claims to be turk, surfaces in 13th century which got rejected by genuine turks. After 3 centuries,Kin of khiljis, lodhis claim to be bani-israel, which is also bogus claim. So it seems khiljis/ghilzais didnt have any significant history at that time and they felt the need to link themeselves with turks or bani-israel in different times. Khiljis are not the only one with such claims. Awans for example, either claim to be from iran or descendents of hazrat abbas.

@kalu_miah, just because there is small presence of khalaj in iran, doesnt mean khalaj are not ghilzais. Ghilzais became very important power players in iran in 18th century. One of the ghilzai , a general of nadir shah, even became ruler of azerbaijan and westren persia. Many Ghilzais are still nomads, called kuchis, like the khilji, they live in tents and carry cattles with them. These nomads migrate back and forth between northren afghanistan and westren pakistan. In the past , some of these nomads might have settled in iran.
Your assessment is that khiljis were still turks in 12th century, while all the historical sources agree that they were not recognized turks at all in delhi. As @charon_2 said they were pashtunized long time ago, in 8th century or even before that period. My theory is that they were not exactly turkic group but east iranian stock like backtrian, sogdians, scythians etc. Who got absorbed in another east iranian group , pashtuns. In 12th century they were fully pashtunized but were trying to claim turkic identity to give legetimacy to their rule in the turkic dominated nobility of india. Proper turks had very strong reasons to reject their bogus claim. If khushal identify jalaludin khilji as a man from country of ghilzais then it means it was a common knowledge in india that khiljis were afghans/pashtuns (khushal khan served mughals in india).

Khilji rule started in 1290 which is the end of 13th century not 12th century. You are getting the period wrong mate.

Yes thats why, as i said genes gets diluted but also passed down. The traces are always there. I am pretty sure Khilji girls has been marrying non-khilji pashtuns also right?
Ofcourse the prefrence is always for ghilzais first, then other pashtun tribes and then non-pashtuns in proximity

have you seen ukranian sythians and Punjabi jatts?

Nope, why? Again have you seen punjabi mughals? My friend was mughal from Lahore. Please tell me when did mongloid uzbeks settled in Punjab.

Because babur identify himself as turk, so are the uzbeks of todays uzbekistan. Bactrians, kushans, sogdians, scythians etc of central asia and north-central afghanistan are described as east iranian people. Same might be case with khilji people. Khilji's claims to be turk, surfaces in 13th century which got rejected by genuine turks. After 3 centuries,Kin of khiljis, lodhis claim to be bani-israel, which is also bogus claim. So it seems khiljis/ghilzais didnt have any significant history at that time and they felt the need to link themeselves with turks or bani-israel in different times. Khiljis are not the only one with such claims. Awans for example, either claim to be from iran or descendents of hazrat abbas.

I believe your assessment is correct.

Nope, why? Again have you seen punjabi mughals? My friend was mughal from Lahore.

I see Punjabi jatts everyday and then I wonder, how in the world did the sythian warriors race become 'people of agriculture' stuck on the land :omghaha: Gaaye ka Gobar

I mean, the Rajputs of Punjab are more worthy of being descended from scythians; at least they maintained being warriors, but the again, they are not

the bani israil claim of the Pashtuns predates thousands of years, and it is a general claim

Last edited:
I see Punjabi jatts everyday and then I wonder, how in the world did the sythian warriors race become 'people of agriculture' stuck on the land :omghaha: Gaaye ka Gobar

I mean, the Rajputs of Punjab are more worthy of being descended from scythians; at least they maintained being warriors, but the again, they are not

Sir i don't know what are you saying. Jat sytians? I think we didnt miss anyone here but somehow missed million or two uzbeks among us.

Sir i can be much worst and you know this, but i am just asking for historical reasons. Can you tell me when did uzbeks settled in Punjab?

Another interesting thing, Afghan Pashtuns settled 10 times more across the UP and Bihar as compared to Punjab. However, very few went back to the rugged Pashtun areas to bring back east indian genes

The most significant event of return of pashtuns from U.P to pakhtunkhwa occurred in early 19th century. Syed Ahmad bareliwli (whose family migrated from yousafzai country to Rohilkhand a century earlier) with few hundreds Rohillas came to Peshawar to launch his jihad movement from their ancestral lands. They continued to operate after death of syed ahmad Shaheed till 1890s in yousfazi area of torghar and occasionally into surrounding areas. British labeled them "hindostani fanatics and led several operations against them. It were Rohillas who spread deoband school of thought in pakhtunkhwa, before that pakhtuns were sufis with pir faqeers like your punjab.

Sir i don't know what are you saying. Jat sytians? I think we didnt miss anyone here but somehow missed million or two uzbeks among us.

Sir i can be much worst and you know this, but i am just asking for historical reasons. Can you tell me when did uzbeks settled in Punjab?

you mean you can be much worse? yes most of us have seen that

explain, how on earth did the scythians went from handling swords and riding horses to handling Gaaye ka Gobar?

the Brahmans had the habit of making low castes into jatts [ shudras in the evil racist caste system - which they shamelessly call biradari in Pakistan ]

Please tell me when did mongloid uzbeks settled in Punjab.
in the 1700s, the Mughal govornor of Lahore Zakaria Khan had brought 5000 uzbeks from central Asia to exterminate the Sikhs. Many Mughals themselves were Turkic migrants who had just come 1 or 2 generations ago to India. Very often they would recruit amongst their own tribes from central Asia. Some of these Uzbeks must have settled in Punjab or later on moved to UP.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom