What's new

Khan's Pakistan 'would shoot US drones'

Archie

Reaction score
Country
India

05 October 2012

Pakistani politician Imran Khan has said that he would be prepared to authorise the shooting down of US drone aircraft in Pakistan should he be made prime minister in next year's election.

In an interview with BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Khan, who is founder of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party, said that he would be prepared to take action if diplomacy failed to stop the attacks.

The US drone strikes against al-Qaida and Taliban leaders in parts of Pakistan such as Waziristan have been "counterproductive" for US interests, Khan said. A recent report by Stanford University and New York University in the United States found that just 2 per cent of those killed by drone strikes in Pakistan were top-level militant leaders.

After a strike, the "near relatives" of those killed would join militia groups, Khan added.

"This thing that this is accurate in only killing al-Qaida is a myth," he said, "not just due to the Stanford University statistics. The people will tell you that the vast majority of people killed either are innocent civilians or some sort of low-level militants."

"This [current Pakistani] government is completely complicit in it. …They are telling the people of Pakistan that they are condemning the drone attacks, on the other hand they have covertly and tacitly given them their approval."

If he became Prime Minister of Pakistan in next year's election, Khan said he wouldfirst take his argument directly to the United States before trying United Nations action if that did not succeed.

"Is a total breach of a country's sovereignty because an ally is being bombed by its own ally," he said.

Shooting down US drones would only be considered if the US continued to "violate our sovereignty and make it difficult for us to fight this war," he said.

"As long as the Pakistani army is considered to be collaborators with the US there is no question of winning this war. It's a neverending war and we are sinking in this."

Khan's Pakistan 'would shoot US drones' - Defence Management

Somehow I feel that if IK Does shoot down the drones , then USA would start Sending F/A18s to do the job

Imran Khan is the kind of person what we call "vaayileye vadai sudravan" roughly meaning one who says he can make the tastiest dishes but never actually does it. This is the impression he is giving me. Anyway if Pakistanis are believeing in him, all power to him. :undecided:

05 October 2012

After a strike, the "near relatives" of those killed would join militia groups, Khan added.

"As long as the Pakistani army is considered to be collaborators with the US there is no question of winning this war. It's a neverending war and we are sinking in this."

Khan's Pakistan 'would shoot US drones' - Defence Management

I think people need to understand these 2 main points, we cannt win this war if the local population does not support us and that is only possible if army is seen as fighting our own war.

Somehow I feel that if IK Does shoot down the drones , then USA would start Sending F/A18s to do the job

USAF will lose its AFBs in Afghanistan and USN will lose at least one ACG in the Arabian Sea.

It's an escalation the US will never make. Currently the US uses drones with approval from the Pak Government. Once we say no, they'd stop, otherwise we'd shoot them down.

This is why I respect Mr.Khan. He's straight to the point, and is willing to do the best for the nation. Something the low-life leaders of today will never understand.

Kayani and gang said the same thing after Salala.. Fat load of good that did...

USAF will lose its AFBs in Afghanistan and USN will lose at least one ACG in the Arabian Sea.

How so?

It's an escalation the US will never make. Currently the US uses drones with approval from the Pak Government. Once we say no, they'd stop, otherwise we'd shoot them down.
So current administration and military is lying ?

Kayani and gang said the same thing after Salala.. Fat load of good that did...

How so?

So current administration and military is lying ?

Haha, luckily for the US and especially you Indians the army is in not intervening, otherwise there would be fireworks. ;)

Haha, luckily for the US and especially you Indians the army is in not intervening, otherwise there would be fireworks. ;)

Army didn't intervene and fire a single bullet even when some 20+ pak soldiers were shot dead by US apaches in salala...May be they have to lose more if they intervene..

Half of the Pakistan Airforce would be destroyed less than 4 days, Pakistan Navy would be fully destroyed, But pakistan army can fight for 30-45 days.

You should have fired fireworks after Salala Incident, OBL Raid atleast after your army chief warning about shooting drones in 2011. After that warning there has been around 35 Drone strikes.

Now he is down to cheap publicity. Lol shooting down American drones is an act of war. I don't wanna say what happens next.

Now he is down to cheap publicity. Lol shooting down American drones is an act of war. I don't wanna say what happens next.

@ Karan 21:

a) If Pakistan shoots the drones, for first few times, US might move through diplomatic Channels. If that fails
b) Spare Parts for F-16, P-3 Orion's , will be stopped.
c)I need not brief about Covert Operation capabilities about CIA.

"Is a total breach of a country's sovereignty because an ally is being bombed by its own ally," he said.
But it has the blessings of the Pakistan Army! For starters, why doesn't IK take action against the PA instead? He can't because he knows that's a bad idea!! :cheesy:

All Politicians Says Big Things :blah: before the Elections....He is also doing the same.......:argh::wave:

Back
Top Bottom