What's new

Kerala, Tamil Nadu face off over Mullaperiyar dam

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. We can share the expenses.

Again this is what I say about sane heads sitting together and settling the matter on a win-win mode for both people rather than letting the hardliners on both sides to take the issue into their hands.

Kerala govt has already stated they are willing to cede control as well if TN govt shares expenses. Atleast, that's what i hear.

"Mallu land" ? Okay....did you know that there a million ways i can insult you, your heritage and your state....without giving you any provision to retaliate? Stupid troll.

Why targeting him when you yourself are guilty of the same crime ?

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Kerala govt has already stated they are willing to cede control as well if TN govt shares expenses. Atleast, that's what i hear.

I am not hearing anything of that sort here. So who is telling the truth ?

That is what I meant when I said both states should give and take something so that a mutual ground is reached which is win-win to both.

BTW I want to remind you that we are only demanding what is legally obligated to us under the 1970 Agreement. You cant fault us for that.

Not a credible argument. Similarly we can also find another market for our produce or export it.

They key is not giving the ground to hardliners and let sane heads prevail on both sides. Unfortunately with this jingo arguments, you are only providing political ammo for the hardliners.

Yes, we might not be considerate and we are not obligated to be. We want what was legally obligated to us. Not charity.

The agreement says nothing about going on with a dam which had outlived its life. New dam has to be build sooner or later,why not now and if TN wants the controlling stake in the dam put in the money needed to build it. Anyways Kerala leaders including the irrigation minister said that we don't need a single drop of Mullaperiyar water. Our primary concern is the safety of the dam and the lives of 3.5 million people.

Yes, we might not be considerate and we are not obligated to be. : It seems we get far better consideration from Pakistan than TN, atleat they don't do anything to cut off our food supplies at the drop of a hat.

The agreement says nothing about going on with a dam which had outlived its life. New dam has to be build sooner or later,why not now and if TN wants the controlling stake in the dam put in the money needed to build it. Anyways Kerala leaders including the irrigation minister said that we don't need a single drop of Mullaperiyar water. Our primary concern is the safety of the dam and the lives of 3.5 million people.

You are only parroting the same line again and again.

Is there any announcement from the Kerala Govt that they are willing to abide by the 1970 Agreement post construction ?

Yes, we might not be considerate and we are not obligated to be. : It seems we get far better consideration from Pakistan than TN, atleat they don't do anything to cut off our food supplies at the drop of a hat.

Your state should have thought about that when they renewed the Agreement in 1970. Faulting us for the shortsightedness of your own leaders is not gonna cut any ice.

I am not hearing anything of that sort here. So who is telling the truth ?

You are not hearing it bcs your Govt is still sticking to 'All is Well' in Mullaperiyar Dam.

You are not hearing it bcs your Govt is still sticking to 'All is Well' in Mullaperiyar Dam.

Well I can say that you are hearing too much because your Govt wants to generate a mass hysteria regarding the safety and somehow exit the Agreement it is legally bound to.

Even a neutral, out-of-TN English source would do fine.

You are only parroting the same line again and again.

Is there any announcement from the Kerala Govt that they are willing to abide by the 1970 Agreement post construction ?

Your state should have thought about that when they renewed the Agreement in 1970. Faulting us for the shortsightedness of your own leaders is not gonna cut any ice.

Cracks began to appear in Mullaperiyar in 1979 and from that time we are demanding a new dam.

Cracks began to appear in Mullaperiyar in 1979 and from that time we are demanding a new dam.

The question I am asking again and again is - has the Kerala Govt said it is ready to abide by the 1970 Agreement that governs the current dam when the new dam is constructed ?

If yes, I would like see some links to that effect.

Without that TN will not budge from its current position.

The question I am asking again and again is - has the Kerala Govt said it is ready to abide by the 1970 Agreement that governs the current dam when the new dam is constructed ?

If yes, I would like see some links to that effect.

Without that TN will not budge from its current position.

According to the information I received, the 1970 agreement lapsed in year 2000.

i think kerala need state parties like TDP ,DMK ,ADMK ...these Nationalist parties are useless

i think kerala need state parties like TDP ,DMK ,ADMK ...these Nationalist parties are useless

Agreed.Regional parties could have better leveraged Kerala's position than this good for nothing Congress & Communist nparties (no offence) not only on Mullaperiyar issues but also on other development issues.

i would like to agree some points of bhairava here.... there are 4-5 districts in TN which is solely depends on mullaperiyar water for their agriculture and the number of peoples are also huge.....
but my point here is kerala govt ready to give same quantity of water that supplied to TN even in new dam , only thing TN will loose control for operating the dam .....
why you guys need control if you are getting water..?

According to the information I received, the 1970 agreement lapsed in year 2000.

That is patently false.

The 1970 Agreement renewed the Treaty between the British and the Maharaja of Travancore for its full duration because the original treaty was legally challenged after the British left.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

why you guys need control if you are getting water..?

Because there is no guarantee that some other Govt in Kerala will not go back on the 'verbal' agreement sometime in the future.

There are too many lives at stake to put our faith blindly in some words. Agree to 1970 Agreement, then we can build the new dam. Else let time answer the question. If the dam unfortunately gives away, we are not at fault.

Enough of talking. Tamilians will never budge. Its time to take action. Territorial sovereignty takes precedence over any legal document signed some 100 years ago. The river and dam is in Kerala and GoK should take action to bring the dam under our control.At the end of the day its our lives and livelihoods.

Enough of talking. Tamilians will never budge. Its time to take action. Territorial sovereignty takes precedence over any legal document signed some 100 years ago. The river and dam is in Kerala and GoK should take action to bring the dam under our control.At the end of the day its our lives and livelihoods.

Again wrong info.

Its not an agreement signed 100 years ago. Just 41 years ago between the GoK and GoTN and is legally binding on both states.

Mere sentiment and emotion will not achieve anything except increased hatred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom