What's new

Kayani rejects US propaganda

53fd

New Recruit

Reaction score
Responding to an allegation by the U.S. chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff that Pakistan's main intelligence agency has a "longstanding relationship" with a Taliban-allied insurgent group that targets U.S. troops in Afghanistan, a senior Pakistani intelligence official said: "We do have a relationship: that of an adversary."

"We have made our resolve very clear that (the Haqqani Network) is an enemy we need to fight together," said the official, who did not want to be identified discussing intelligence matters.

In an interview that aired Wednesday on Pakistan's Geo TV, Adm. Michael Mullen spoke forcefully about the Haqqani Network, which he said "very specifically facilitates and supports the Taliban who move in Afghanistan, and they're killing Americans."

"I can't accept that and I will do everything I possibly can to prevent that specifically," he said.

Then Mullen said Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence "has a longstanding relationship with the Haqqani Network. That doesn't mean everybody in the ISI, but it's there."

"I also have an understanding that the ISI and the (Pakistani military) exist to protect their own citizens, and there's a way they have done that for a long period of time," Mullen said. "I believe that over time, that's got to change."

Based in Pakistan's North Waziristan frontier, the Haqqani Network "has been at the forefront of insurgent activity in Afghanistan, responsible for many high-profile attacks," according to the United Nations. The group is believed to have three main sources of funds: donations from the Persian Gulf region, drug trafficking, and al Qaeda payments. Pakistani forces in December announced they had seized Nasiruddin Haqqani, son of the group's leader, Jalaluddin Haqqani.

Other U.S. officials in recent months had expressed concerns that Pakistan has not been aggressively confronting militants operating in the tribal regions.

The Pakistani intelligence official told CNN that "we have our hands full" fighting other Islamist militant groups along the border with Afghanistan, notably those under the umbrella of the Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LeT) "and once we are through with them we can turn on the other (the Haqqanis). We do not have the capacity to undertake simultaneous operations."

The official said the "onus of providing proof of this" relationship was on the Americans and it was not up to the ISI "to start providing clarification."

Asked if offense was taken by Mullen's remarks, the intelligence official said: "Not personally, no."

Earlier in the Geo TV interview, Mullen was pressed on issues such as the arrest of CIA contractor Raymond Davis and unmanned drone strikes against targets within Pakistan, which have marked what he called a "rough patch" of increasingly complex relations between the two nations in recent months.

The admiral traced the difficulties back to the 12-year period in which the two countries had severed diplomatic ties, then restored them in the midst of the global terrorism crisis that followed the attacks of September 11, 2001.

"We can't snap our fingers and say all of the sudden we trust each other," he said, "and that's what we're trying to work our way through in the midst of these huge terrorist challenges that we both have."
"It's the focus from the United States' perspective on the terrorist threat (in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas), the al Qaeda leadership which still lives there and still threatens to kill as many Americans as they possibly could, combined with what I would call this federation of terrorist organizations that are getting along more than they used to, and at least from my experience ... the complexity is increasing, not decreasing."

As Joint Chiefs chairman, Mullen is the highest-ranking uniformed official in the U.S. military's chain of command. He has been part of recent discussions that have included CIA Director Leon Panetta and their
Pakistani counterparts: Chief of Army Staff Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and the ISI's director, Lt. Gen. Ahmad Shuja Pasha. Mullen's term is set to end this year.

"It's been a very rough patch lately," Mullen said, "and I think the leaders, including Generals Pasha and Kayani, Director Panetta and myself and others are very committed to working our way through this because we see the need to solve this problem, and we just can't walk away from it."

how come they in our land put forward BLAMES like this ? its against protocols and mannerism of diplomacy even.

When has the US cared for diplomacy? Our spineless leadership has made them get used to just ordering us around. Look no further than Uncle Sargam in the lead.

Can't guess who I'm referring to? Here's a hint: Can I have some money, please :))

But on a serious note, I don't understand why the US has forgotten the way it abandoned us last time they were in Afghanistan, leaving it in a total mess ? Aren't we right to be cautious ? Why should we wage another war when we've just ended one ? We don't have the same resources that the US has.

If the US needs our full support and wants Pakistan to engage multiple threats at the same time, then it needs to show solidarity and provide us with the technology to wage the war. Aren't we strategic partners in this WoT ? The biggest assistance the US can provide is to write-off some of the debt. Let our economy strengthen so we can devote more resources to the battle.

It is unfair for the US to expect us to open up so many fronts esp. since we don't have the capacity at the moment.

how come they in our land put forward BLAMES like this ? its against protocols and mannerism of diplomacy even.

The American media censors itself at a word from the US establishment (See Raymond Davis) for the sake of continued propaganda stories and interviews from their 'anonymous sources' and access to officials, while ours just goes ahead and prints everything blurted out by American officials.

The American media censors itself at a word from the US establishment (See Raymond Davis) for the sake of continued propaganda stories and interviews from their 'anonymous sources' and access to officials, while ours just goes ahead and prints everything blurted out by American officials.

Well, there is nothing stopping the Pakistani media from doing the same, is there?

That's really all there's to it. If US can't provide evidence then Pakistan doesn't need to say a whole lot. US is making basically loony conspiracy theories akin to Iraq's WMDs claims.

sorry I disagree with you,
Pakistan does have contacts with Afghan Taliban. what’s more it even had contacts with Russians during their occupation of Afghanistan. two events give away these contacts.

1. When PAF F-16s shot down the intruding Afghan fighter jets one of them was being piloted by Colonel Rudskoi Alexander Vladimirovich. Pakistani government contacted the Russians and handed him over.

2. Second proof, 2 Russian Hinds carrying troops landed in Pakistan and were captured by Pakistani forces, yet again the Pakistanis handed them back after “contacting” Russians.

3. If this is not enough, Pakistanis routinely establish contacts with their arch enemy the Indians along the borders in flag staff meetings.

Now even Turkey is catching up this bad habit and has offered to establish “contacts” with Taliban in order to facilitate any negotiations once the righteous forces of Americans will leave this forsaken land of Afghanistan.

I think Mr Mullen should also expose ISI’s efforts to sabotage the innocent BLA training camps in Afghanistan and should demand ISI to look the other way while CIA secretly funds and supports anti Pakistan forces operating within Pakistan and in Afghanistan.

If someone in Pakistan demands Gen Mullen to name more than 4 or 5 known terrorists killed in the last 100 drone strikes then he should leave in protest and by mistake leak some information to American media and let it use its imagination to build up rest of the story “exposing Pakistan.”

sorry I disagree with you,
Pakistan does have contacts with Afghan Taliban. what’s more it even had contacts with Russians during their occupation of Afghanistan. two events give away these contacts.

1. When PAF F-16s shot down the intruding Afghan fighter jets one of them was being piloted by Colonel Rudskoi Alexander Vladimirovich. Pakistani government contacted the Russians and handed him over.

2. Second proof, 2 Russian Hinds carrying troops landed in Pakistan and were captured by Pakistani forces, yet again the Pakistanis handed them back after “contacting” Russians.

3. If this is not enough, Pakistanis routinely establish contacts with their arch enemy the Indians along the borders in flag staff meetings.

Now even Turkey is catching up this bad habit and has offered to establish “contacts” with Taliban in order to facilitate any negotiations once the righteous forces of Americans will leave this forsaken land of Afghanistan.

I think Mr Mullen should also expose ISI’s efforts to sabotage the innocent BLA training camps in Afghanistan and should demand ISI to look the other way while CIA secretly funds and supports anti Pakistan forces operating within Pakistan and in Afghanistan.

If someone in Pakistan demands Gen Mullen to name more than 4 or 5 known terrorists killed in the last 100 drone strikes then he should leave in protest and by mistake leak some information to American media and let it use its imagination to build up rest of the story “exposing Pakistan.”

Common misperception: you're mixing the Mujahideen with the Afghan Taliban. The Mujahideen were formed in the 80's, the Taliban was formed in 1996. The Taliban, Northern Alliance, Gulbideen group etc are all off shoots of the Mujahideen, as Haqqani/Mullah Umar, Ahmed Shah Masood & Hekmatyar respectively were all members of the Mujahideen in the 80's, but later formed their own groups in the 90's. The Mujahideen and Taliban are not the same group, although the Mujahideen did have some present Taliban leaders (Mullah Umar, Haqqani). So of course, the people that were the Mujahideen, regardless as to whether they were Taliban (Mullah Umar, Haqqani) or non-Taliban (Hekmatyar, Ahmed Shah Masood); Pakistan did have (& it is natural to have) contact with all four of these, because they were all part of the Mujahideen. But Pakistan never favored anyone of them in the 90's, & there is no conclusive evidence that supports that. Having contact with these people is one thing, & supporting them is something completely different. Even the CIA has had links with Mullah Umar, Haqqani, Hekmetyar as they were part of the Mujahideen. I don't see this implicating the ISI in anyway.

Well, there is nothing stopping the Pakistani media from doing the same, is there?

I would have thought you would have taken the 'principled' stance of supporting an objective media covering both sides without censorship, given your self-proclaimed 'support for Pakistan', and commended the Pakistani press for its objectivity on these issues while criticizing the US press for being propaganda mouthpieces on foreign policy for the US Establishment.

US is helping our worst enemy India and CIA and RAW have deep links. What the US expects in return ? Flowers or cow dunk?

US is helping our worst enemy India and CIA and RAW have deep links. What the US expects in return ? Flowers or cow dunk?

Per VCheng, since the US is all powerful, they expect Pakistan to roll over and take it up the rear - and VCheng and others like him suggest we do so, since 'in international relations their is nothing like fairness'.

Kayani rejects US propaganda

Army on Thursday rejected as “negative propaganda” suggestions that it was not doing enough to combat al-Qaeda and Taliban, hours after the top US military officer accused its main intelligence agency of maintaining ties with militants.

The comments reflected deepening mistrust between the two uneasy allies, whose relations hit a new low after fatal shooting of two Pakistanis by Raymond Davis, a CIA contractor, in January in Lahore.

“The Pakistan army’s ongoing operations are a testimony of our national resolve to defeat terrorism,” a military statement quoted Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani as telling Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the US Military’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, during his fleeting visit to Pakistan on Wednesday.

“He (Kayani) strongly rejected negative propaganda of Pakistan not doing enough and Pakistan army’s lack of clarity on the way forward.”
Mullen, the most senior US official to visit Pakistan since ties were badly strained over the Davis case, told a television channel that links between elements of Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and the Haqqani faction of the Afghan Taliban were continuing to strain the relationship.

“Haqqani is supporting, funding, training fighters that are killing Americans and killing coalition partners. And I have a sacred obligation to do all I can to make sure that doesn’t happen,” Mullen told the TV channel ahead of talks with Kayani.

But despite the rising level of rhetoric, both sides have sought to mend their ties. “Admiral Mullen lauded the sacrifices and efforts of (the) people of Pakistan and its security forces and reassured that security ties will not be allowed to unravel between the two armed forces,” the military statement read.

Kayani acknowledged that evolving Pak-US strategic relation was important for the achievement of mutual long-term objectives of comprehensive security of both the countries.

The COAS underscored the centrality of reciprocal respect towards each other’s sovereignty, upholding of universal principle of value of human life and above all the long sought after goal of addressing the trust deficit between the institutions as well as the people on both sides.

Kayani, who last month issued a rare condemnation of a US missile strike in North Waziristan near the Afghan border that killed more than 40 tribesmen, repeated his opposition to covert US operations in the border regions, saying it was hurting Pakistan’s own war against militants.

http://nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-...tics/22-Apr-2011/Kayani-rejects-US-propaganda

Atleast the top brass of Military this time will get some Ghairat and start pushing US back and will avail that lost support PA once had in Pakistan. Damn these Americans are stubborn and arrogant people.

I would have thought you would have taken the 'principled' stance of supporting an objective media covering both sides without censorship, given your self-proclaimed 'support for Pakistan', and commended the Pakistani press for its objectivity on these issues while criticizing the US press for being propaganda mouthpieces on foreign policy for the US Establishment.

Please realise that there in NO such as an "objective" media. These are mere tools to mold public opinion, and as such, their effectiveness is an integral part of international politics.

Per VCheng, since the US is all powerful, they expect Pakistan to roll over and take it up the rear - and VCheng and others like him suggest we do so, since 'in international relations their is nothing like fairness'.

My statement is correct. There IS no concept of "fairness" in international politics. To expect such plebeian concepts to apply to complex situations like that in Pakistan is naive, and the imagery projected by your description is merely indicative of your frustrations.

Please realise that there in NO such as an "objective" media. These are mere tools to mold public opinion, and as such, their effectiveness is an integral part of international politics.
There is no harm in critiquing them when they act as propaganda mouthpieces then - as an 'educated observer', that should be what you should do, so people can learn to not trust the Western media when it covers foreign policy.
My statement is correct. There IS no concept of "fairness" in international politics. To expect such plebeian concepts to apply to complex situations like that in Pakistan is naive, and the imagery projected by your description is merely indicative of your frustrations.
Whether the concept applies or should apply is irrelevant - as a Pakistani or someone with the 'best interests of Pakistan at heart', which you patently are not, one should condemn double standards and unfairness wherever it occurs.

Back
Top Bottom