What's new

Kayani last obstacle to Kashmir deal : US cable

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
The Pakistan army chief, general Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, was seen as the "remaining obstacle" for an India-Pakistan deal on Kashmir, which both Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President Asif Ali Zardari were ready to sign, says a US diplomatic cable. The cable from the US embassy is London is based on former British foreign secretary David Miliband's visit to Islamabad on January 25, 2008 a day before the Mumbai terror strike that saw the ties between two countries touching a new low.

A US diplomat quotes Laura Hickey of the Pakistan Team of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office a saying that the Miliband concluded during the trip was that it was time to get a deal done on Kashmir.

"Zardari and Singh were ready, and there was a text on paper. Miliband thought the remaining obstacle was Pakistani military chief staff general Kayani; he remained 'reluctant' and needed to be persuaded," the cable said.

Hickey said that Miliband had "resolved to put energy behind an Indian-Pakistan deal on Kashmir."

"She thought the November 26 Mumbai bombings would likely strengthen his resolve. HMG [Her Majesty's Government] is nervous, however, that over-reaction on either government's part could result in a hardening of positions over military action in Kashmir, once again derailing any progress," the cable said.

The cable is widely reported in Pakistani media.

"But the cable does not clarify Miliband's view of Gen Kayani or details of the latter's reluctance. The cable also does not clarify that Gen Kayani's reluctance was about the deal struck by Zardari and Singh and not about resolution of the Kashmir issue", the Dawn newspaper opined.

Miliband was in Pakistan as part of the outreach exercise on counter-radicalization efforts and support for the Pakistan government's in the fight against extremism,

In an early released cable, that came out through Wikileaks in last December it was said that Kayani, learning lessons from his predecessor Pervez Musharraf prefers staying behind the scenes while affecting the government's decision-making on key issues.

Jasmine Zerinini, head of the French government's interagency Afghanistan-Pakistan cell, told Richard Kessler, staff director of the U S House Committee on Foreign Affairs, in January that Kayani was playing a behind the scenes role in issues like the war against terrorism and stirring up a controversy over linking civilian control of the military to increased American aid.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Kayani-last-obstacle-to-Kashmir-deal/H1-Article1-681212.aspx

True. Kayani is a hardliner. Had he agreed to the Manmohan-Musharraf deal, Kashmir would have been solved long time back. The truth is that Kayani has gone back to the old line of PA.

As long as PA has this hawkish, zero-compromise attitude, Kashmir will not be solved. Period.

Kayani should be given a green light and taken our immediately......We need sane and clear headed individuals to lead pakistan not idiots..

So what was on the table ? anyone know?

The cable from the US embassy is London is based on former British foreign secretary David Miliband's visit to Islamabad on January 25, 2008 a day before the Mumbai terror strike that saw the ties between two countries touching a new low.
Shouldnt that be Nov 25, 2008? Thats a typo, I presume. But its Hindustantimes. Unacceptable.
Jasmine Zerinini, head of the French government's interagency Afghanistan-Pakistan cell, told Richard Kessler, staff director of the U S House Committee on Foreign Affairs, in January that Kayani was playing a behind the scenes role in issues like the war against terrorism and stirring up a controversy over linking civilian control of the military to increased American aid.
The Musharaff formula would almost take care of the prickly Kashmir issue between out two nations. I can understand Kayani's opposition to Zardari getting involved, but why the opposition at all? What is it in for the Pak army?

Shouldnt that be Nov 25, 2008? Thats a typo, I presume. But its Hindustantimes. Unacceptable.

The Musharaff formula would almost take care of the prickly Kashmir issue between out two nations. I can understand Kayani's opposition to Zardari getting involved, but why the opposition at all? What is it in for the Pak army?

A perpetual state of mass delusion that allows the military to grasp the real power to make decisions and continue with their aim of massive weapons development as the expense of the public..

Resolution of Kashmir means PA losing the most imortant reason for the enmity towards India. Decreased influence. Hard time trying to justify the inflated Defence share in the meagre Pakistan GDP.

PA literally owns Pakistan and a solution of Kashmir means PA has to give up that claim.

Resolution of Kashmir means PA losing the most imortant reason for the enmity towards India. Decreased influence. Hard time trying to justify the inflated Defence share in the meagre Pakistan GDP.

PA literally owns Pakistan and a solution of Kashmir means PA has to give up that claim.

All countries have militarys. PA is the only military in the world which has its own country.

Kayani should be given a green light and taken our immediately......We need sane and clear headed individuals to lead pakistan not idiots..

as sane as accross the border? talking of two front wars?
Kiyani is not a hard liner, he understands the geographical importance of Kashmir, Our current political leadership is soft.

What does the deal entail? I have my doubts over the source of the information!

Fair play to Kayani for having a backbone and not listening to demands that will in no doubt be favourable to India, just hope he never took that stance so save his own neck from a public or army backlash.

Kashmir will always be an integral part of Pakistan and inshallah that won't change anytime in the future, Pakistan doesn't need peace or friendly relations with India at the cost on losing our own brethren in Kashmir.

Zardar needs to be removed asap can't stand this mosquito as the President of our country.

Borders being made irrlevant. More free movement of people from both sides of the LoC etc.

I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't look like a solution to me. It will aggravate the problem if anything.. It will effectively become an open border between India and Pakistan. And with the sort of security situation in Pakistan at the moment. now who would want that to happen. I hope "this" particular Kashmir solution never materializes.

Well kayani's hardline stand will play into the hands of Indian hawks..who don't want any deal with Pakistan on Kashmir and believe in maintaining status quo..because every year India becomes stronger both diplomatically as well economically viz-a-vis pakistan.Pakistan's ability to do anything about the issue diminishes.

If in next election BJP comes to power..this deal is not signed by then..it will definitely not likely to be signed thereafter.. Kayani is going to be as COAS till 2013..same with congress.

Back
Top Bottom