What's new

Kaveri Engine Project update

Infrastructure existed.How is that?Does India have some kind of experience with engines before kaveri.

And if you are right.Then i must really commend India.I mean 640 Million Dollars for an engine is nothing.I mean Ford spends more for the development of a new Model Car.

I mean it's so cheap.Seriously if we ignore the Timeline kaveri is a very good example for 3rd and in some cases even 1st world countries.Also it holds a lesson for Pakistan for Indigenous development.Although not really for engines but other component of Aircraft.

yes it existed , kaveri is R&D by Gas Turbine Research Establishment , Which was established in 1959....:D

yes it existed , kaveri is R&D by Gas Turbine Research Establishment , Which was established in 1959....:D

In my opinion year of inception is meaningless.My question does India has any sort of experience with engines before kaveri.

Infrastructure existed.How is that?Does India have some kind of experience with engines before kaveri.

And if you are right.Then i must really commend India.I mean 640 Million Dollars for an engine is nothing.I mean Ford spends more for the development of a new Model Car.

I mean it's so cheap.Seriously if we ignore the Timeline kaveri is a very good example for 3rd and in some cases even 1st world countries.Also it holds a lesson for Pakistan for Indigenous development.Although not really for engines but other component of Aircraft.

HAL HF-24 Marut
The HF-24 Marut represented the first Indian-produced jet fighter.

AVIA - HAL Marut

HAL HF-24 Marut - History, Specifications and Pictures - Military Aircraft

The Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd HF-24 Marut was the first Indian attempt at an indigenous aircraft design since separating from British rule. The Marut - or "Spirit of the Tempest" - was the first design that was produced for the Indian Air Staff in the 1950's, was expensive to develop and proved only a marginal success which saw limited production numbers.

With years removed since the end of World War Two and ultimately gaining their own independence from the British crown, the India and the Indian Air Staff set to work on a jet fighter project that would allow the nation a new form of independence - defense products designed and produced from within the country as opposed to having to rely on foreign orders or outside help as in years past. With little or no turbojet development experience on hand, the ministry hired fabled German designer Kurt Tank (of Focke-Wulf fame) to come aboard and begin the new age of jet fighter design for India's air force. Tank set about to create from all the knowledge he had gained during his years prior to, during and after the war, particularly on swept-wing design and turbojet technology. Along with his expertise, about a dozen more German engineers joined the fray, relocating to India to assist with the challenging project.

Design work proceeded in 1957 and would soon produce the first prototype which would fly in 1961. The all-weather, Mach 2 capable fighter featured a dual HAL/Rolls-Royce turbojet engines generating nearly 5,000lbs of thrust. The single-seat fighter featured a swept-wing low-monoplane design on a basic cylindrical fuselage. The rudder was mounted at rear, above the jet exhaust with the elevators mounted low on the fuselage near the exhaust. Armament consisted of 4 x 30mm cannons and the capability to mount ground attacks with air-to-surface rockets and bombs. Engine production was handled locally but build as licensed copies of the British Rolls-Royce Bristol Orpheus 703. After continued development and various flight models tests, the Marut aircraft would soon enter service by 1967.

By all accounts the system did not meet overall expectations considering what the Western nations were producing at the same time. 1975 saw full production totals of the Marut hit the century mark but they had already become woefully outdated by modern standards. The system did see local action against Pakistani forces in the Indo-Pakistan clashes that ensued. But beyond that combat action, the system was a basic aircraft at best. At the very least, the system did introduce a newly-independent nation to the world of military aviation design. The experience gained from the early trials and in the production of localized turbojets would develop the nations military power output for decades to come.

In my opinion year of inception is meaningless.My question does India has any sort of experience with engines before kaveri.

Design and development of India's "first centrifugal type 10kN thrust engine" between 1959-61.
Design and development of a "1700K reheat system" for the Orpheus 703 engine to boost its power. The redesigned system was certified in 1973.
Successful upgrade of the reheat system of the Orpheus 703 to 2000K.
Improvement of the Orpheus 703 engine by replacing "the front subsonic compressor stage" with a "transonic compressor stage" to increase the "basic dry thrust " of the engine.
Design and development of a "demonstrator" gas turbine engine—GTX 37-14U—for fighter aircraft. Performance trials commenced in 1977 and the "demonstrator phase" was completed in 1981. The GTX 37-14U was "configured" and "optimized" to build a "low by-pass ratio jet engine" for "multirole performance aircraft. This engine was dubbed GTX 37-14U B.

HAL HF-24 Marut
The HF-24 Marut represented the first Indian-produced jet fighter.

AVIA - HAL Marut

HAL HF-24 Marut - History, Specifications and Pictures - Military Aircraft

The Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd HF-24 Marut was the first Indian attempt at an indigenous aircraft design since separating from British rule. The Marut - or "Spirit of the Tempest" - was the first design that was produced for the Indian Air Staff in the 1950's, was expensive to develop and proved only a marginal success which saw limited production numbers.

With years removed since the end of World War Two and ultimately gaining their own independence from the British crown, the India and the Indian Air Staff set to work on a jet fighter project that would allow the nation a new form of independence - defense products designed and produced from within the country as opposed to having to rely on foreign orders or outside help as in years past. With little or no turbojet development experience on hand, the ministry hired fabled German designer Kurt Tank (of Focke-Wulf fame) to come aboard and begin the new age of jet fighter design for India's air force. Tank set about to create from all the knowledge he had gained during his years prior to, during and after the war, particularly on swept-wing design and turbojet technology. Along with his expertise, about a dozen more German engineers joined the fray, relocating to India to assist with the challenging project.

Design work proceeded in 1957 and would soon produce the first prototype which would fly in 1961. The all-weather, Mach 2 capable fighter featured a dual HAL/Rolls-Royce turbojet engines generating nearly 5,000lbs of thrust. The single-seat fighter featured a swept-wing low-monoplane design on a basic cylindrical fuselage. The rudder was mounted at rear, above the jet exhaust with the elevators mounted low on the fuselage near the exhaust. Armament consisted of 4 x 30mm cannons and the capability to mount ground attacks with air-to-surface rockets and bombs. Engine production was handled locally but build as licensed copies of the British Rolls-Royce Bristol Orpheus 703. After continued development and various flight models tests, the Marut aircraft would soon enter service by 1967.

By all accounts the system did not meet overall expectations considering what the Western nations were producing at the same time. 1975 saw full production totals of the Marut hit the century mark but they had already become woefully outdated by modern standards. The system did see local action against Pakistani forces in the Indo-Pakistan clashes that ensued. But beyond that combat action, the system was a basic aircraft at best. At the very least, the system did introduce a newly-independent nation to the world of military aviation design. The experience gained from the early trials and in the production of localized turbojets would develop the nations military power output for decades to come.

I was asking about jet engine not aircraft.

Design and development of India's "first centrifugal type 10kN thrust engine" between 1959-61.
Design and development of a "1700K reheat system" for the Orpheus 703 engine to boost its power. The redesigned system was certified in 1973.
Successful upgrade of the reheat system of the Orpheus 703 to 2000K.
Improvement of the Orpheus 703 engine by replacing "the front subsonic compressor stage" with a "transonic compressor stage" to increase the "basic dry thrust " of the engine.
Design and development of a "demonstrator" gas turbine engine—GTX 37-14U—for fighter aircraft. Performance trials commenced in 1977 and the "demonstrator phase" was completed in 1981. The GTX 37-14U was "configured" and "optimized" to build a "low by-pass ratio jet engine" for "multirole performance aircraft. This engine was dubbed GTX 37-14U B.

Hmmm.So it seems that you guys did had the experience.anyways good luck.

I hope that Pakistan also starts to do some work on avionics which will most probably the most important Combat component of future aircraft.

Hmmm.So it seems that you guys did had the experience.anyways good luck.

I hope that Pakistan also starts to do some work on avionics which will most probably the most important Combat component of future aircraft.

Yup we had, a little bit here and there , not a very good knowledge though, but always good, when you start one....

The term u are looking for is liscence production
India has producing aircraft and its engines since 1970 , with the liscence production of mig 21
Currently india is producing engines for su30mki and the mig29smt
under liscence from russia
:cheers::mps::victory:

The term u are looking for is liscence production
India has producing aircraft and its engines since 1970 , with the liscence production of mig 21
Currently india is producing engines for su30mki and the mig29smt
under liscence from russia
:cheers::mps::victory:

Buddy, we used to make engines since 1959, from the date Gas Turbine Research Establishment was established ....

we first developed a centrifugal type 10kN thrust engine between 1959-61.

Any recent news regarding KAVERI?

i read some where that KAVERI has cleared hi altitude test in Russia. and in my opinion we can use it in our future MCA project in current Power output....

Can't we???

Any recent news regarding KAVERI?

i read some where that KAVERI has cleared hi altitude test in Russia. and in my opinion we can use it in our future MCA project in current Power output....

Can't we???

How much of Thrust does it produce before and After full after burners?? Its should be 65 and 92 According to IAF before and After full afterburners... has Kaveri Achieved that Status, If Yes then we must be very happy

Last edited:
Kaveri Engine, being tested

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I don't know what the IAF is complaining about:

Kaveri:

Military thrust (throttled):11,687 lbf (52.0 kN)
Full afterburner:18,210 lbf (81.0 kN)

Klimov 93 (powers JF-17)

Maximum thrust: 50.0 kN (11,230 lbf) Dry,
Afterburner: 81.3 kN (18,285 lbf)

Am I missing something?

I don't know what the IAF is complaining about:

Kaveri:

Military thrust (throttled):11,687 lbf (52.0 kN)
Full afterburner:18,210 lbf (81.0 kN)

Klimov 93 (powers JF-17)

Maximum thrust: 50.0 kN (11,230 lbf) Dry,
Afterburner: 81.3 kN (18,285 lbf)

Am I missing something?

You are not missing anything buddy, Only Kaveri is.... Missing Enough thrust, In todays world 80kn is nothing... we need an Engine with more than 95kn of thrust

kaveri failed at high attitude test conducted by Russian . The only problem kaveri is facing right now

Back
Top Bottom