What's new

Kashmir The Freedom of Struggle

Kashmir Muslims protest over demolition of a mosque

Police in Indian-administered Kashmir have fired teargas shells to break up a demonstration in the capital, Srinagar.
Hundreds of demonstrators marched to protest against the alleged demolition of a mosque inside a 16th century fort.

The demonstrators say that a Sikh as well as a Hindu temple in the fort remain intact - and that only the mosque has been demolished.

Muslims are also angry because the fort has been occupied by Indian paramilitary forces for 17 years.

A large number of people marched in protest at Hyderpora in the city's outskirts after Friday prayers.

Police broke up the protest and took eight people into custody.

Meanwhile, several separatist leaders were put under house arrest on Friday morning to prevent them from organising more public demonstrations over the mosque issue.

These include the chairman of the hardline faction of the separatist All Party Hurriyat Conference, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, and six other leaders.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6600599.stm

Safe passage’ for Kashmir militants being considered: Sardar Qayyum

By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: Sardar Abdul Qayyum Khan, former prime minister of Azad Jammu and Kashmir, has claimed here that the governments of India and Pakistan are considering granting “safe passage” to foreign militants active in Indian-held Kashmir.

“The proposal has been discussed for sometime now and I hope an agreement comes through as soon as possible,” he said while delivering a lecture at the Observer Research Foundation (ORF), a think-tank.

Earlier, speaking to the media, Khan appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to grant “general amnesty” to all militants and withdraw all cases against them. Khan said youths from several countries were lured by militant groups to join their ranks and were now holed up in Pakistan, AJK, or IHK. They want to return to their own countries, he said.

Defending Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), Khan said it had no political motives. “They are generally misunderstood and have also stopped their activities in Pakistan,” he said, adding that their cadres on the Indian side of Kashmir should be given “safe passage” to return to their homes. He said, “President Pervez Musharraf has dismantled all camps in Pakistan as well as in AJK.” He offered to take a team of Indian intellectuals and journalists to AJK to see the situation there for themselves.

Khan rejected the view that AJK lacked constitutional powers and was way behind IHK in terms of development and progress.

Guys,
Just wanted to point out a small thing.
The topic of "Kashmir The Freedom of Struggle".. what is Freedom of Struggle?

Is it Freedom Struggle or Struggle for Freedom?

Kashmiri Muslims losing out on top govt jobs

By Iftikhar Gilani

NEW DELHI: Kashmiri Muslims are rapidly losing out on power posts in Jammu and Kashmir. Even with a majority, they are not only losing top administrative jobs, but also secondary official posts, to other communities.

While 62 Muslims out of total of 132 selected candidates could pass Kashmir Administrative Services (KAS) exams in 2007, no Muslim has succeeded in clearing the Indian Administrative Services (IAS) exam for the past several years. Currently, only two Muslim officers are in the top bureaucratic lineup, which includes secretaries, financial commissioners and principal secretaries. They are Iqbal Ahmed Khandey and Khursheed Ahmed Ganai. The prominent posts of governor, chief secretary and director general of police have been held by non-Muslims for years and since 1947, only eight out of 24 Muslims have reached the post of chief secretary.

In the police, only six Muslims are among 15 DIGs and only 26 are among 87 SSPs. Out of 111 police officials, only 33 are Muslims. Muslims were getting a reasonable representation in the local KAS setup till a few years ago out of 343 KAS officers, 217 are presently Muslims. However, keeping in view the last two KAS results, the number of Muslim recruits is rapidly decreasing. In 2001, only 80 Muslims out of the 208 could make it to the KAS. Similarly in 2004, out of 137 successful candidates only 62 were Muslims.

It is not only local Hindus that have dominated the KAS lists; a cursory look at the civil secretariat in Srinagar reveals that a number of non-locals from other Indian states are also holding power positions. Ajit Kumar, SB Mathur, BR Singh Satinder Singh, Manu Des Lupin, Sham Singh Kupur, AS Sidhu, Samuel Vergese, Madav Lal, Babu Lal Navesh, Pankaj jain, Dr Arun Kumar, Sonali Kumar and PG Dharchakerverty are all non-state subjects holding posts of either secretaries or commissioners.

The low percentage of Kashmiri Muslims in top positions is surprising, because the valley churns out 16,000 graduates and 3,000 postgraduates every year. According to education department statistics, of the 57,000 students enrolled in colleges, more than 25,000 are girls. In contrast, only 2,691 students 950 of them girls are attending Islamic madrassas.

While 62 Muslims out of total of 132 selected candidates could pass Kashmir Administrative Services (KAS) exams in 2007, no Muslim has succeeded in clearing the Indian Administrative Services (IAS) exam for the past several years.
Well, study harder. Madrassa or Quranic education won't help you pass exams. Neither do hindu's pass these exams if they only study the Bhagawat Gita or other scriptures.

Well, study harder. Madrassa or Quranic education won't help you pass exams. Neither do hindu's pass these exams if they only study the Bhagawat Gita or other scriptures.

The low percentage of Kashmiri Muslims in top positions is surprising, because the valley churns out 16,000 graduates and 3,000 postgraduates every year. According to education department statistics, of the 57,000 students enrolled in colleges, more than 25,000 are girls. In contrast, only 2,691 students 950 of them girls are attending Islamic madrassas.

Yes so the graduates must all be graduates from Madrassa's huh? That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a while.
A interesting thing for the students to do would be to try two applications. one under their own names and one under a obviously Hindu name and see what happens.

Something like that was tried a few years ago in Britain and funnily enough the applicants got more offers under the fake name.

I wonder how indians can get away with comments like this on this forum while if a Pakistani said something like this, I am not so sure if he could get away with it. Mods should take note of this comment.

I wonder how indians can get away with comments like this on this forum while if a Pakistani said something like this, I am not so sure if he could get away with it. Mods should take note of this comment.

Ashan both Dabong and I have answered the question within the thread. And personally I think we have answered it well.

Personally I like winning arguments rather than simply deleting them.

If you wish to report the post then please do and the other mods may see it differently.

Ashan both Dabong and I have answered the question within the thread. And personally I think we have answered it well.

Personally I like winning arguments rather than simply deleting them.

If you wish to report the post then please do and the other mods may see it differently.

There is a difference between posts that you can argue with and ones that you call "trolling". This one goes under the category of trolling.

There is a difference between posts that you can argue with and ones that you call "trolling". This one goes under the category of trolling.

Abi yar don't worry about the Indians' their are always counter arguments that can be made like key's says..All you have to say is:

At least in Madrassa they don't throw cow urine at un-privileged children and in Madrassa they get equal treatment, see not all their teachers are so called "educated".

Above is just an example, other than that just ignore them, sometimes they do tend to talk a lot (even I feel like going berserk but I step away with a box of cigarette). :cheers:

I guess your only job is to crib.

Its the forum rule that you cant tell the mods what is to be done. If you have complaint use the 'report feature'.

Back
Top Bottom