What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Same thing with Afghanistan in the 70's 80's time. One Muslim fights, every Muslim fights.

So it means that they are not freedom fighters but just a bunch of terrorists right? :azn:

Dr. Shabir Choudry is was a founding member of JKLF and was born in Nakker Shamali (near Panjeri) in District Bhimbe in Pakistani Kashmir. He now speaks for KNP which is part of the umbrella alliance of parties under All Parties National Aliance advocating for an independant J&K mainly active in Pakistan and UK.

Kashmiri Struggle In 2008 By Dr Shabir Choudhry
New phase of the Kashmiri struggle or whatever we want to call it in view of communalism, proxy war and terrorism, has been going on since 1947; and yet we people of Jammu and Kashmir have not been able to put our priorities right. We have not been able to differentiate between freedom and occupation. We have also failed to understand designs of both countries on Kashmir, and formulate appropriate policies to promote and advance a Kashmiri interest.

In view of the above can we make a valid claim to get independence and be recognised as a free nation and play our due role in comity of nations, especially when what are known as Kashmiri leaders, at best have been acting as puppets of either one country or the other and promoting and defending interest of either India or Pakistan?

Despite lack of democracy and encroachment of civil liberties the State of Jammu and Kashmir was one political entity in 1947. People of the State irrespective of their religious and cultural affiliations regarded themselves as Kashmiris, distinctly different from India and Pakistan; and wanted to maintain that difference.

Today the unfortunate State is forcibly divided in many parts, and people of the State are divided on religious, cultural, regional and ethnic lines. These divisions have never been so deep and so frightening in the history of the State, and it looks that those powers who are behind these moves are paving the way for the division of the state on communal and regional lines.

Call it armed struggle, jihad, terrorism or a proxy war it destroyed fundamental character of the Kashmiri society, and Kashmiri struggle for right of self determination. This armed struggle which was initiated, supported and promoted by secret agencies of Pakistan resulted in human rights violations and deepened the divisions in the Kashmiri society.

In this struggle a Pakistani gun and agenda was implemented by using a Kashmiri shoulder. It was presented to us by Pakistan and Kashmiri leadership as a Kashmiri struggle for liberation; and with hindsight we see that we Kashmiris were used as a raw material in this proxy war, and it added to our misery and suffering.

A few days ago a 'friend' who is still part of controversial nationalist group of JKLF invited me to take part in a picket outside an Indian High Commission on 15th August. According to him it was to demonstrate that India got independence on this date and they have occupied our country - Jammu and Kashmir. I said to him that Pakistan got independence one day before India, and Pakistan has also occupied some parts of Jammu and Kashmir; wouldn't it be better to have a demonstration outside Pakistani High Commission first followed by one outside the Indian High Commission.

This friend said, how can we have a demonstration outside Pakistani High Commission, they are helping us against Indian occupation, can't you see how the Indian army has killed innocent people who were peacefully proceeding towards LOC. I said to him that I condemned this brutal killing. There was no need to kill and torture people like that, but the Pakistani army did the same thing in1992 and more than 8 innocent people lost their lives.

I explained to him that in 1992 the JKLF people tried to cross the LOC from the AJK side and they were also innocent and wanted to proceed to the LOC peacefully, they were killed by the Pakistani army. Prior to this tragedy, National Students Federation members who were trying to cross the LOC were also killed and tortured by the Pakistan army. When it comes to enforcing 'law and order' or enforcing 'writ of government' army is trained to kill and torture, as it is happening in Jammu and Kashmir and in Swat, Balochistan, North West Frontier and FATA; or as it happened when Red Mosque was invaded and destroyed in name of enforcing 'writ of government'.

I further said India virtually lost Kashmir Valley in 1990/1, however despite other heavy handedness India did not use helicopter gun ships or air force against Muslim militants; in Pakistan on the other hand helicopter gun ships and F 16 are regularly used to target alleged Muslim 'terrorists' in which innocent Pakistani Muslims are killed and their houses are destroyed. If you need any further evidence how Pakistani forces behave when asked to deal with 'rebels' or with those who demand rights then read history of East Pakistan or Bangladesh; or even ask members of Jammu and Kashmir Plebiscite Front how they were treated in 1970/1 during investigations regarding Ganga Hijacking.

I said without being pro this or anti that one can see a nation whose leadership takes pride in 'selling' their (Pakistani) sons and daughters for sake of American dollars, just take example of Dr Afia Sadiqqi who was arrested in Karachi with her three young children and has ended up in America, and where - about of her three young children is still not known. Do you expect any mercy or better treatment from rulers and establishment of this country? If they treat their own people like butchers and regard them as an economic commodity don't expect that they will treat us Kashmiris differently.

Knowledge of this friend was limited and he was having difficulty in justifying his argument, so he surrendered by saying that he could not compete with me in knowledge and argument. He said he was a loyal member of the JKLF and wanted to follow the party decision and the JKLF leaders. I appreciated his 'loyalty' but added that loyalty of his leaders is not with the JKLF or its ideology. Their loyalty is with agencies of our neighbours who reward them handsomely.

I said decision to hold a picket outside an Indian High commission was taken else where but only endorsed in your meeting. Your leadership discussed it with relevant quarters, agreed certain terms and conditions and then brought this issue to your meeting to be approved. Normally committee of personal and party loyalists do not disagree with any decision which is presented to them as approved by the top leadership, especially there is always hundred per cent unanimity when any actions is related to India.

This friend agreed with almost everything I said, but added that 'you have always been critical of top JKLF leadership and Pakistan. And now that I have left the JKLF I should not criticise JKLF and its policies, as it hurts us and that we will also criticise you and make allegations against you'.

Whether he or some one else criticise me or not it is immaterial, what is important is the attitude of the Kashmiri people and especially that of 'nationalist' parties. It is unfortunate to note that despite this long struggle, sacrifices, and suffering on massive scale we as a nation have not been able to decide our priorities. We Kashmiris still have not been able to decide who is enemy of our independence and who is deceiving us in name of religion and brotherhood. It is unfortunate that many of us still view Kashmir dispute in the context of Muslims and non Muslims, and accept whatever is presented to us by media and organisations controlled by Islamabad.

My colleagues and I have always regarded Jammu and Kashmir as one political entity, and have promoted cause of united and independent Kashmir, and advanced non - communal politics as Kashmir dispute is not a religious one. But it is unfortunate to note that in 2008 we Kashmiris are more divided and more communalised then we were in 1947; and gulf between the regions and communities is widening.

Jammu and the Valley have different priorities and are playing into the hands of those who want to play a religious card in order to divide the people on communal lines and advance their politics. Ladakh apart from the 'Kargil war' has not been affected by the militancy; and has different agenda and has no interest with what is going on in other two regions. Azad Kashmir and Gilgit and Baltistan have no contact with each other and have different priorities and interests. People of Azad Kashmir, forgetting their own miseries and problems are seemed to be more concerned with what goes on across the LOC, and virtually accept everything what is presented to them by the Pakistani media.

By promoting religious politics are we not playing into the hands of extremists who want to justify Two Nations Theory that Muslims and non Muslims cannot live together, hence pave way for division of the State of Jammu and Kashmir on religious lines.

Forensic tests, witnesses indicate Shopian victims drowned: CBI | TwoCircles.net

By IANS,

New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which ruled out that the two women found dead in Kashmir's Shopian town were raped or murdered, said forensic tests and testimonies of those who found the bodies prove the victims drowned accidentally while crossing a water channel without using the bridge.

In its 66-page probe report submitted to the Jammu and Kashmir High Court Monday, the CBI said the two women - Neelofar Jan, 22, and her 17-year-old sister-in-law Asiya Jan - died due to accidental drowning in Rambiara Nallah (drain) near Zawoora Bridge May 29. Also, there was no evidence of suicidal drowning as no note or motive has emerged.

"Neelofar and Asiya Jan both left their Bongam house around 5.15 p.m. for their orchard in Nagbal May 29. They were seen by Dilshada around 7 p.m. descending from the road passing in front of her house, into a water spring located in the dry part of the Rambiara Nallah. Dilshada offered them tea but they refused, saying that they had already gotten late and were in a hurry."

"There are three routes commonly used between Bongam and Nagbal, located on the other side of the nallah. The time taken on shortest route, which involved crossing the nallah directly without using any bridge is 28 minutes. Since the time taken crossing the river directly takes the least amount of time, any person is likely to attempt to reach Bongam from Nagbal taking this route. The water discharge in the nallah was very high at that time," the report added.

The CBI said a woman called Zana Ahmad noticed mud in the nostrils of Neelofar when her body was recovered.

"Witnesses Javed Malik and Mohammed Ismail Sheikh noticed sand in the undergarments of both Neelofar and Asiya respectively. The presence of mud and sand in the bodies of the deceased and its matching with the control earth sample is indicative of the fact their death occurred due to drowning," the report said.

Post-mortem examinations and forensic tests conducted by the team of All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) and the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) concluded that Asiya Jan died due to asphyxia as a result of ante-mortem drowning.

"There was nothing suggestive of penetration of any penis-like object through the hymeneal opening as the hymen was found intact. Neelofar Jan's death was also caused due to asphyxia as a result of anti-mortem drowning. There were no external ante-mortem injuries on the body," the CBI report, a copy of which is with IANS, said.

The report named five advocates - Abdul Majid Mir, Mushtaq Ahmad Gatoo, Mohammad Yusuf Bhat, Sheikh Mubarak and Altaf Ahmad - for threatening Ghulam Mohiuddin and Abdul Rashid Pampori to give false statements before the Jan Commission as well as investigating agencies. The lawyers also offered some inducements to Mohiuddin and Rahid to lie before everyone.

According to the CBI, both Mohiuddin and Rashid gave false statements that they had seen a blue coloured Tata 407 police vehicle parked near Zawoora Bridge with some masked uniformed police personnel standing there and heard cries of women for help from the vehicle.

The investigating agency said all such police vehicles of Shopian were examined but no indication corroborating the statements of these two was obtained.

The CBI said they questioned personnel of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), deployed near the Zawoora Bridge, Special Operation Group and local policemen on duty, but no one noticed any untoward incident near the Rambiara Nallah May 29.

The people who regularly visit the area as well villagers of Deegam, Nagbal, Batpora, Geerwar and Arhama were also questioned but everyone denied seeing any untoward incident, the CBI said.

So it means that they are not freedom fighters but just a bunch of terrorists right? :azn:

Don't remember the Mujahideen from across the world fighting Soviet occupation ever being called 'terrorists' or the US a 'State Sponsor of terrorism' for funding, training and equipping those 'freedom fighters'.

Simple question Agno..how many of those so called freedom fighters who come from across the border knows about it?that Kashmir has only 2 option left either be with India or be with Pakistan?and also Independent Kashmir is only a myth ..

Independent Kashmir the only option: Pakistan: Rediff.com India News

look at the statement made by your Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit.. and also look at the statement made by Jammu and Kashmir Democratic Freedom Party chief Shabbir Ahmed

'I dream of an independent Kashmir'

They all are talking about Independent Kashmir ...and also surprise to see every one in Pakistani politics says only about Kashmir's freedom than Kashmir has to choose between India and Pakistan..
Are you expecting me to conduct polling amongst the freedom fighters? This is common knowledge is it not?

On Basit's comments - they more than likely indicate that the hitherto unofficial position of looking at an independent Kashmir as a compromise solution is now becoming an official compromise position.

India had a claim because it has a legal document signed by the ruling authority in the state, Pakistan has no claim until the plebiscite happens and the people choose it in the vote. Till then it is just meddling in foreign affairs.
UN resolution states that it is India that has to administer the plebiscite, recognizing its claim on the state, Pakistan is recognized as the aggressor and needs to get out before anything to proceed. That much is pretty clear from the texts and not your claims.

That is incorrect and we had this long debate in the UNSC resolutions thread already - pick it up there if you want to continue it. I'll only say here that you cannot pick and choose which UNSC resolution you want, based on how well it suits your POV.

UNSC resolutions supersede earlier resolutions, if different, and the latter resolutions quite clearly did away with any unilateral withdrawal on the part of Pakistan or trusting India with holding a plebiscite in the territory.

But as I said, this discussion has been had before, and can be continued on the appropriate threads. Stay on topic here.

I do not have the details of the stream and how deep it was, but here is why I think CBI will not cover up.
1) CBI was reluctant to take the case but was forced by CM of j&k. They knew that people want someone to be named.
2) GOI does not have any reason to cover up. No one has any personal interest if any policemen get caught. Why will they try it when they know it is going to go well with people. GOI per my knowledge does not leave any effort to please people of j&k.
3) The officers on whom the suspesion is raised are from state itself, why blame GOI.
4) It is not uncommon that agency could not find any evidence or proof, if Pakistan cannot solve BB's case so we also have our share.

I also heard rumors that they called people on Phone etc. It was later found no one had mobile. Also why the doctor claimed rape when one of them was virgin.

Don't remember the Mujahideen from across the world fighting Soviet occupation ever being called 'terrorists' or the US a 'State Sponsor of terrorism' for funding, training and equipping those 'freedom fighters'.

This is what i meant.

My question to you is that if the doc can change the statement (as mentioned) under pressure once what are the chances that now is not the case.

This could be possible but there is absolutly no gain for GOI in doing so. At the same history of Kashmir say these guys take to street on petty issues and hence they being under pressure against GOI is not digestible. A similar incidence at same was conclusivly proved fake.

Azad Kashmir is autonomous territory till a resolution of the dispute. If the J&K dispute is resolved in favor of Pakistan in accordance with the UNSC resolutions, then J&K would be a province in Pakistan, and we would negotiate the degree of autonomy/central control with the Kashmiri population.

If Kashmir is resolved in any other fashion, Azad Kashmir stands dissolved and the conditions of whatever solution has been arrived at apply.

I fail to see how this is in any way 'fooling the Kashmiris or the world' - the fact is that Pakistan stands for implementing the UNSC resolutions giving them the right to self-determination and uniting divided Kashmir whereas India stands against all of that.

Really? then explain the following..

why hasn't Pakistan pulled its troops out from AK?

Why did Pakistan cross the LoC in 1965?

Why did Pakistan cross the LoC in 1999?

What part of the UNSC resolutions has Pakistan implemented over the last 60 years?

How can you be so sure about Pakistan's intentions of 'uniting divided Kashmir' if Pakistan has repeatedly failed to do what it asks of India?

Direct me to the right thread if this isn't the place, and do address the above questions. Regardless of whether a unilateral withdrawal is required or not, Pakistan violated the resolutions twice, in 65 and 99.

I read your post, there is little difference in suggesting the separatist sentiment is artificially created or does not exist in the context of your arguments. You are merely obfuscating and distorting the issue.
I will gladly listen to your explanation as to why 'artificially generated separatist sentiments' is same as 'lack of popular support for separatist sentiments', and in what context these become different.

Providing funding and support to a popular political movement does not prove that the movement is not popular, or for that matter prove that the movement is popular - your argument is illogical.
Strawman. I never questioned the popularity, which you keep on implying. I understand that you have to stick with this line of argument, because otherwise your argument falls apart.

Accepted and endorsed by the UNSC and India through its acceptance of the UNSC resolutions.
Not really. UNSC and India have never accepted that Pakistan has a claim. What has been accepted is that Kashimiris will be given an option to decide, to which country they would want to accede their land, once certain conditions are fulfilled. It doesn't give Pakistan any claim. It gives Kashmiris a claim.

More nonsensical verbosity and quibbling over semantics. Any 'issue' being supported is championed by leadership and entities wedded to the cause of that issue - issues themselves don't develop bodies, arms and legs and go propagate and promote themselves.

So when an issue is supported the leadership and entities championing that issue and cause are the ones supported - one doesn't drop money f.rom an airplane over Kashmir and just hope 'the issue is supported', nor are you going to see a political poster sprout legs and arms and go chanting and waving in support of 'the issue'.
Nonsense.

What you are deliberately refusing to address is, whether funding of a movement, whatever that movement be, by an interested party makes the movement tainted or not? For example, if a pro-tobacco movement be credible if it is sponsored by tobacco companies. Or if an argument for liberal corporate tax law be credible if the political party pushing it is sponsored by the corporates who benefit from such law. It shouldn't be too difficult to wrap your head around that.

So give your nonsensical argument a rest.
Hope you intend to practice what you preach.

Dialog and progress on Kashmir by India, since Nehru backtracked on his commitment to the UNSC resolutions and the plebiscite, unless to perpetuate its occupation, has always been out of the question. So this position you articulate is not exactly something new.
It was Pakistani leadership that backtracked on implementing UNSC resolution, that called for unilateral withdrawal of 'tribesmen and Pakistani citizen'. Our commitment was conditional to that, and other factors. None got fulfilled and hence no plebiscite.

Regardless of whether a unilateral withdrawal is required or not, Pakistan violated the resolutions twice, in 65 and 99.
Additionally, by fomenting armed rebellion, Paksitan has violated the Cease Fire agreement which states:

The High Commands of Indian and Pakistan forces agreed to refrain from taking any measures that might augment the military potential of the forces under their control in the State of Jammu and Kashmir. (For the purpose of these proposals "forces under their control shall be considered to include all forces, organized and unorganized, fighting or participating in hostilities on their respective sides).

Really? then explain the following..

why hasn't Pakistan pulled its troops out from AK?

Why did Pakistan cross the LoC in 1965?

Why did Pakistan cross the LoC in 1999?

What part of the UNSC resolutions has Pakistan implemented over the last 60 years?

How can you be so sure about Pakistan's intentions of 'uniting divided Kashmir' if Pakistan has repeatedly failed to do what it asks of India?

Direct me to the right thread if this isn't the place, and do address the above questions. Regardless of whether a unilateral withdrawal is required or not, Pakistan violated the resolutions twice, in 65 and 99.

Spitfire,

Not to be forgotten is the Shimla agreement, another UN agreement between India and Pakistan that has been violated time and again by the Pakistani establishment...This being just one of the many instances....please read some of the salient points of this document:

"(ii) That the two countries are resolved to settle their differences by peaceful means through bilateral negotiations or by any other peaceful means mutually agreed upon between them. Pending the final settlement of any of the problems between the two countries, neither side shall unilaterally alter the situation and both shall prevent the organisation, assistance or encouragement of any acts detrimental to the maintenance of peace and harmonious relations."

"(iii) That the prerequisite for reconciliation, good neighbourliness and durable peace between them is a commitment by both the countries to peaceful coexistence respect for each other's territorial integrity and sovereignty and noninterference in each other's internal affairs, on the basis of equality and mutual benefit."

"(vi) That in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations, they will refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of each other."

Pakistan has been aiding and abbeting rebellion in Kashmir by providing funds, arms and training to seperatist groups. This includes not just the Kashmiri's, but Khalistani groups as well.....
Kargil incidence is another such example of the above
India has honored the treaty and since the war of '71 (After the act of supporting the freedom fighters of Mukti Bahini), India has not played Proxy games against Pakistan (True until proven otherwise)
Pakistanis should not be lecturing Indians about "honoring UN resolutions" when a treaty with India has been broken at the cost of innocent blood!!

This could be possible but there is absolutly no gain for GOI in doing so. At the same history of Kashmir say these guys take to street on petty issues and hence they being under pressure against GOI is not digestible. A similar incidence at same was conclusivly proved fake.

Well lets just wait and see what comes out, because one thing is for sure that our gov's are corrupt. And they will do any thing to hide the incompetence that comes out during their rule. So lets wait and see, and may justice prevail. We shouldn't look at these cases on patriotic lines if the crime was committed then no matter who it was either the COAS or a petty soldier they deserved to be punished.

Back
Top Bottom