What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Mirwaiz aide critically injured in militant attack: Rediff.com India News

Last updated on: December 04, 2009 19:15 IST

An executive member of the All party Hurriyat conference was shot and critically injured, near his house in Soura, in Srinagar [ Images ]. A senior police officer said that Fazal-Haq-Qureshi, who was the chairman of the People's Political Front was reportedly shoy in the head. Qureshi Has been shifted to Soura Medical Institute ina critical condition.

The moderate APHC faction, headed by Moulvi Mirwaiz Omar Farooq is supposedly engaged in secret parleys with the Indian government.

Mukhtar Ahmed in Srinagar

-------------------------------------------------------

^^^ Not a good sign. There are autonomy-related consultations going on and GoI should protect the lives of participants.

Hurriyat leader Qureshi shot at, condition critical

Senior Hurriyat leader Fazal Haq Qureshi was shot in the head by suspected terrorists at Soura on Friday evening.

Mr. Qureshi, considered as one of the moderate separatists, was shot by terrorists when he was coming out of the mosque in downtown of the city, police said.

He has been rushed to Soura Medical Institute where he was being operated upon, they said, adding his condition was stated by the doctors as “very very critical.”

Mr. Qureshi was behind the first ever peace talks between terrorist group Hizbul Mujahideen and the Central government in 2000. The militant group was led by Abdul Majid Dar.

According to senior police officials, the attempt on the life of Mr. Qureshi was to “stall” the dialogue process between the Centre and the Hurriyat.

They said the separatist leader had refused security from the State government.

The Hindu : News / National : Hurriyat leader Qureshi shot at, condition critical

********************************************************************************
I can understand these leaders not taking help from State Government for obvious reasons however what is stopping them from ensuring their security by say having private security..I am sure money should not be an issue for them...Anyways I hope he will come out sound and well ........

On contrary i think the silent diplomacy might be working which is making these bloody terrorists nervous

'Militants in Kashmir valley dying of diseases', says former militant - dnaindia.com

Friday, December 4, 2009 13:07 IST

Jammu: Militants in the Kashmir valley are increasingly finding it difficult to get medical aid and many of them are dying due to various diseases and bullet wounds, a surrendered ultra has claimed.

"Most of the militants, particularly lower cadres, are suffering from various diseases, infections and bullet injuries," 24-year-old Abdul Kayum Wani, a former militant, said. Wani, who was initially employed as a teacher in a Chenab school at Doda, joined Hizbul Mujahideen in May 2007.

"Most of the terrorists have a life span of 2-3 years as they are either shot dead by the security forces or die of bullet injuries, infections and related medical problems," Wani said.

Army officials say these militants should surrender so that they get proper treatment. "These militants should surrender and join the mainstream. They would get treatment and would recover from the diseases and can start a new life instead of slowly dying of the disease", a senior army officer told PTI.

Over 300 militants operate in Chenab valley area at present and most of them are from Hizbul outfit, he said. According to Wani, many senior militant leaders are also suffering from various ailments. He said a self-styled district commander of Hizbul Jamed Ahmed survived an encounter with army in Doda last year but is crippled due to a splinter injury in the back.

Another self-styled militant commander Abdul Qayum is suffering from diabetes and takes insulin injections regularly, Wani said, adding Qayum's left toe is also affected by frost bite.

Similarly, another militant Khursheed Ahmed has severe back problem and cannot walk long distances, Wani said. Giving details of other militants suffering from various problems, he said 22-years-old section commander Noor Mohammad Wani cannot use his left arm properly while LeT commander Ashiq Hussain has stones in his kidney.

When doctors advised him an operation, his seniors refused to give him money and abandoned him. He was later arrested by the police, he claimed. "These terrorists are left with only one option at this stage - do or die," Wani said.

More related news

Attack on Qureshi an attempt to derail peace process: Omar

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday condemned the attack on Hurriyat leader Fazal Haq Qureshi saying that it was an attempt to derail the peace process in the State.

“It is the most unfortunate incident and a clear attempt to derail the peace process. Qureshi was one of the separatist leaders who wanted to find a solution to Kashmir problem at the negotiating table,” Mr. Omar Abdullah said here.

Asked as to who could be behind the heinous crime, Mr. Omar Abdullah said, “things will unfold in due course of investigations but definitely it is the handiwork of those who do not want peace to return to the State.

“This is the work of enemies of peace,” the Chief Minister said, adding “this incident won’t be an impediment in the quiet diplomacy that is going on between the Centre and the separatists.”

The Chief Minister said Mr. Qureshi was offered security on various occasions but he turned it down.

Union Minister Farooq Abdullah also condemned the incident and said, “it is a great tragedy. Those who do not want peace have started targeting such people who are interested in peace.”

Senior CPI(M) leader Mohammed Yusuf Tarigami said this was carried out by frustrated people who did not want Kashmiris to live in peace

The Hindu : News / National : Attack on Qureshi an attempt to derail peace process: Omar

More related news

Attack on Qureshi an attempt to derail peace process: Omar

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Friday condemned the attack on Hurriyat leader Fazal Haq Qureshi saying that it was an attempt to derail the peace process in the State.

“It is the most unfortunate incident and a clear attempt to derail the peace process. Qureshi was one of the separatist leaders who wanted to find a solution to Kashmir problem at the negotiating table,” Mr. Omar Abdullah said here.

Asked as to who could be behind the heinous crime, Mr. Omar Abdullah said, “things will unfold in due course of investigations but definitely it is the handiwork of those who do not want peace to return to the State.

“This is the work of enemies of peace,” the Chief Minister said, adding “this incident won’t be an impediment in the quiet diplomacy that is going on between the Centre and the separatists.”

The Chief Minister said Mr. Qureshi was offered security on various occasions but he turned it down.

Union Minister Farooq Abdullah also condemned the incident and said, “it is a great tragedy. Those who do not want peace have started targeting such people who are interested in peace.”

Senior CPI(M) leader Mohammed Yusuf Tarigami said this was carried out by frustrated people who did not want Kashmiris to live in peace

The Hindu : News / National : Attack on Qureshi an attempt to derail peace process: Omar

Yes its a very sad attempt to stall the peace talk between government and separatist...Somebody dont want peace in Kashmir :angry:

The Hindu : News / National : Troops withdrawal in J&K planned

The Centre announced on Wednesday its intention to draw down a “significant number of battalions” from Jammu & Kashmir and reiterated its commitment to hold “quiet talks with all Kashmiri groups” far away from the media.

Speaking on two occasions in the Rajya Sabha, once while replying to a short duration discussion on internal security and earlier during Question Hour, Union Home Minister P. Chidamabaram said he would not specify the number of battalions that would be pulled out from the State.

Increasingly, the Central police forces were transferring the task of maintaining law and order to the J&K police, which reflected the changing atmosphere in the State. Noting the success in neutralising infiltrating cadres and its commanders in J&K, the Home Minister said that the incidence of violence, both against civilians and security forces, was the lowest in 2009. However, as infiltration continued, vigil could not be lowered.

On Jammu & Kashmir, Mr. Chidambaram declined to go into the specifics of his proposal to hold talks with every shade of political opinion. “When I had an opportunity to explain the scope of the talks, I said that these will be quiet talks, quiet diplomacy, far away from the glare of the media. We stand by that statement and I can only tell this House that there are encouraging responses,” he observed.

Asked why he was holding talks with separatists and not with the Maoists, Mr. Chidambaram said a new generation of leaders had taken over many of the Kashmiri groups and he did not think the government should shy away from talking to them just because they had phrased a demand in a particular manner. On recent observations by J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, Mr. Chidambaram did not think “we should take one sentence of a speech or one statement made here and there and say that is a policy declaration. I have met with Mr. Abdullah several times. I can assure the House and the Leader of the Opposition that we are on the same page.”

Rant begins- This is a conspiracy by RAW to destablize kashmir and buy some more time for Indian Army to stay in Kashmir..... Rant Ends.

I hope he makes a quick recovery. Very unfortunate. So many Kashmiri leaders have been killed by these terrorists in cold blood.

More importantly is that the culprits should be caught as well as there are clearly trouble makers on the loose.

More importantly is that the culprits should be caught as well as there are clearly trouble makers on the loose.

Well Kashmir is a dangerous place so i can understand the trouble makers on loose part..However what bother me is the statement below

These guys should be more careful about their security especially when there are peace talks going on with Center...We all know these terrorists don't want peace and will do anything to derail it...However such incidents also bring out their true face...Hope our people(Kashmiri's) are watching this...

Though i want to make a little controvertial statement...Whenever some innocent civilian is killed by Army(or for that matter Army hand is suspected) Kashmir just boils down...but when such incidents happen life just goes on as normal...

This incident happened when the silent peace talks are about to yield good results :angry:

What if the Indians shot him? Historically speaking, the Hurriyat leaders have been the most outspoken anti-Indian group of them all. Kashmiri leaders are mostly all moderates. They fight to free themselves, out necessity, and in self-defence. Not for any extremist ideology.

I think the concept of moderate and extremist is lost on the Indian media. One can be a strong opponent, can fight, while still a moderate. When we categorize in terms of moderate and extremist, we do so on the basis of ideology.

So far we only have hordes of the Indian officials pinning this on the separatists (which makes no sense if you don't buy in to the Indian official propaganda), nothing yet from APHC.

Remember Qureshi is close to Mirwaiz, and we all know how Mirwaiz feels about India. Also the biggest militant group, the Hizb ul Mujahideen has held a ceasefire with the Indians for the most part since the peace process began, simply on the instructions Qureshi. I think its a pretty big leap from ordering the biggest militant group, to being shot at by them.

Simply put, its a pretty big yarn to spin that the militants were so irked by talks with the Indians (which they have been demanding btw) that they figured, lets kill one of the guys talking to them (as if there won't be another in the APHC to talk with India then).

Rant begins- This is a conspiracy by RAW to destablize kashmir and buy some more time for Indian Army to stay in Kashmir..... Rant Ends.

the funniest thing is, ISI shot this guy, lol :rofl::rofl:

and why u call it rant when somebody says indians tried to kill him, huriyat is a problem for indians, arent they??

@U-571

and why u call it rant when somebody says indians tried to kill him, huriyat is a problem for indians, arent they??

No sir...Hurriyat is not a problem for india...Our problem is Terrorists...Hurriyat is a faction which is for resolving issues peacefully....In fact Hurriayt is precious for GOI and a role model for Kashmiri youth(who are/were anti-india) not to take up arms but resolve the issue peacefully...It is counter-productive to kill Hurriyat leaders for GOI..However killing hurriyat leaders by terrorists who don't want any peace process to move forward between GOI and Hurriyat makes sense in this context...Don't you think so?? Secondly tell me does it make sense to kill people with whom you have initiated peace talks at such a large scale(refering to quite diplomacy)...Don't you see India's plan to pull off Army on such a large scale is direct outcome of these peace initiative(one of the demads of Hurriyat)....

I hope you can consider my points without the usual bias of India-Pak equation that we all suffer from...

@Asim

Remember Qureshi is close to Mirwaiz, and we all know how Mirwaiz feels about India. Also the biggest militant group, the Hizb ul Mujahideen has held a ceasefire with the Indians for the most part since the peace process began, simply on the instructions Qureshi. I think its a pretty big leap from ordering the biggest militant group, to being shot at by them.

Simply put, its a pretty big yarn to spin that the militants were so irked by talks with the Indians (which they have been demanding btw) that they figured, lets kill one of the guys talking to them (as if there won't be another in the APHC to talk with India then).
Sir don't you think you kind of contradict yourself with these two statements??...Atleast i find it that way...In the first you have emphasized on how important Qureshi is...in the second you seems to suggest that even his death should not have any impact on Talks thus it don't make sense for militants to kill him...

I have shared some of my thoughts above as to why i feel its the job of militants...but would like to spin your question towards you...If killing Qureshi is of no use then why would GOI kill him???

Regards

Last edited:
@U-571

No sir...Hurriyat is not a problem for india...Our problem is Terrorists...Hurriyat is a faction which is for resolving issues peacefully....In fact Hurriayt is precious for GOI and a role model for Kashmiri youth(who are/were anti-india) not to take up arms but resolve the issue peacefully...It is counter-productive to kill Hurriyat leaders for GOI..However killing hurriyat leaders by terrorists who don't want any peace process to move forward between GOI and Hurriyat makes sense in this context...Don't you think so?? Secondly tell me does it make sense to kill people with whom you have initiated peace talks at such a large scale(refering to quite diplomacy)...Don't you see India's plan to pull off Army on such a large scale is direct outcome of these peace initiative(one of the demads of Hurriyat)....

I hope you can consider my points without the usual bias of India-Pak equation that we all suffer from...

@Asim

Sir don't you think you kind of contradict yourself with these two statements??...Atleast i find it that way...In the first you have emphasized on how important Qureshi is...in the second you seems to suggest that even his death should not have any impact on Talks thus it don't make sense for militants to kill him...

I have shared some of my thoughts above as to why i feel its the job of militants...but would like to spin your question towards you...If killing Qureshi is of no use then why would GOI kill him???

Regards
Actually it depends if you're Indian or Kashmiri...

APHC (M), which is close to Pakistan would want Kashmiris to be included in the talks. Remember our position for long has been that a Kashmir solution has to be trilateral and not bilateral. The third party being the Kashmiris.

The other thing is Indian government has acknowledged that it is withdrawing two battalions from Kashmir as a sign of goodwill at these talks. So they seem to be benefiting the separatists (non-violent separatists, hopefully).

Someone from India might have wanted to chance it out that the talks would derail since the Indian government rolled the ball on troop pullout. I'm pretty sure there are varying point of views in India on this.

A very odd and new name claims responsibility. Al Nasireen. The Supporters. Very Arab and very different from the Urdu names like Lashkar-e-Tayyaba. I'm saying it sounds made up.

Now a terrorist killing to disrupt peace talks won't call up and admit to it, won't he let the talks "disrupt" and let India take the blame for it?

Back
Top Bottom