What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
You can imagine a simple map can upset Indian stomach . what would be the situation once we get rid of this mess in Pakistan and get a solid policy on Kashmir

You can imagine a simple map can upset Indian stomach . what would be the situation once we get rid of this mess in Pakistan and get a solid policy on Kashmir

I especially liked this part:

The Police have been called in as depicting certain parts of Kashmir as being in Pakistan is a criminal offense in India.

:rofl: thanks for this funny article...had a good laugh. Hahahha China and Super power? This is so childish..like a kid would scribble in your notes if you irritated him? I still cant stop laughing ... tell you what ..I agree.. you gotta love the Chinese...

Except that India is adamantly opposed to the very idea of plebiscite and has been delaying it for all these decades. It is yet another exercise in sophistry by you guys. Pakistan has always welcomed UN oversight of a full plebiscite. If India was serious about holding a plebiscite it would have withdrawn its forces and cooperated with Pakistan (and China) about organizing said plebiscite in Kashmir, all of it, no problem...
Strawman.

Your argument was that 'Azad' Kashmir belongs to Pakistan, merely because of lack of any 'comparable movement' - a criteria of your own making - and not because of any so called 'plebiscite'. The whys, whens, hows of what India does or doesn't in Kashmir, or regarding holding of plebiscite, are all irrelevant.

Your constant rabble rousing for 'plebiscite' in Kashmir is turned to joke by your ridiculous criteria.
In any case, like all Kashmir discussion, this one is not going anywhere. This will be my final post on this matter in this thread. I'll let you have the last word.
Wise decision.
Still smarting, eh? :rofl:
Ooooh. I didn't realize it would sting you that badly...
No worries.
'Animal Planet' on Discovery channel, is one of my favourite programs not because it 'stings'.

Last edited:
Hurriyat dove welcomes China, US
Srinagar, Nov. 21: Hurriyat dove Mirwaiz Umar Farooq yesterday favoured a Chinese role in Kashmir at a time India has opposed a recent China-US statement about working together to promote South Asian peace.

In remarks likely to ruffle feathers in New Delhi, the Mirwaiz said China was a global power with “a huge influence in the region”.

“China has a direct link to Kashmir because one part of it is under its direct control, which was given by Pakistan. We are talking of Aksai Chin and other areas,” the Mirwaiz said.

He added that China was not party to the Kashmir dispute “but it has stakes in peace in the South Asian region”.

The chief of the moderate faction of the Hurriyat Conference, who favours a dialogue with the Centre, welcomed the China-US statement: “It ushers good (news) for Kashmir.”

His remarks came on a day the Centre flashed confusing signals about the Mirwaiz’s foreign travel plans, which include visits to Pakistan and then China at some unspecified date.

Yesterday morning, foreign minister S.M. Krishna had said: “He is free to travel wherever he wants to.”

Shortly after the Mirwaiz’s afternoon remarks, foreign secretary Nirupama Rao too said “we haven’t stopped any Kashmiri leaders from travelling” but appeared to imply that such visits could not take place on stapled visas.

New Delhi opposes China’s new practice of issuing to travellers from Kashmir their visas on separate pieces of paper that are stapled to their passports.

“He (the Mirwaiz) is free to travel. If you are asking the question in the context of the visa issue, then our views on the visa issue is well known. We are against our citizens being discriminated based on their domicile and ethnicity,” Rao said, although it wasn’t clear if she was reacting to the Mirwaiz’s remarks.

The Mirwaiz said he had an invitation from an NGO in China. “Given an opportunity I will present the Hurriyat’s point of view in China,” he said.

He criticised New Delhi’s approach on the stapled visas. “Accept it or reject it, but Kashmir is an internally recognised dispute. Name any forum — the OIC (Organisation of the Islamic Conference), EU (European Union), the US — you will come to know that Kashmir is a dispute. So why is New Delhi not allowing Kashmiris to travel to China on stapled visas? You can’t close doors to reality,” he said.

He said he felt the international community had a responsibility to solve the Kashmir issue as it was “not a border dispute or a religious dispute”.

“It is a political issue and needs political settlement. For that we want that the international community should step in.”

His reference was to the joint statement issued during President Barack Obama’s visit to Beijing, which expressed readiness “to strengthen communication, dialogue and co-operation on issues related to South Asia and work together to promote peace, stability and development in that region”.

The statement mentioned the need to improve India-Pakistan relations and evoked instantaneous opposition from India, which is against third-party intervention in its issues with Pakistan.

The Mirwaiz said this was the first time the US and China had issued a statement for a joint effort for peace in South Asia.

“They will adopt a joint strategy and joint approach towards India and Pakistan vis-à-vis resolution of the Kashmir issue. The US has now realised that Kashmir is a core issue for bringing peace to South Asia. We welcome the approach of China and America regarding the Kashmir issue,” he said.

Delhi recently announced the start of “quiet diplomacy” on Kashmir — apparently after the renewed American and Chinese interest in the state — bringing the Hurriyat and the Mirwaiz back under the spotlight.

SRINAGAR, India, Nov 21 (Reuters) - China has a stake in peace in South Asia, and Kashmir in particular, as part of the disputed region is under Beijing's control, Kashmir's main separatist alliance said.

The mention of China's role in resolving the dispute and its control over a part of the Himalayan region -- the first by separatist leaders since a revolt against New Delhi broke out in 1989 -- could hurt chances of resuming peace talks with the government.

India rules 45 percent of Kashmir and the bulk of its more than 11 million population. Pakistan has about 35 percent of the territory and China controls the rest.

"It (China) has a direct link with Kashmir as certain parts of Kashmir, including Aksai Chin, are under its control," Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, chairman of the All Parties Hurriyat (Freedom) Conference, told thousands of Muslim worshippers late on Friday.

"I believe that China is not a party to the Kashmir conflict but it has stakes as far as peace in the region is concerned."

Farooq, also the chief priest of Kashmir, said he is planning to visit China soon.

"Hurriyat welcomes the approach adopted by China and America jointly in terms of addressing the issue of Kashmir in South Asia," he said.

He was referring to a joint statement issued by the United States and China after President Barack Obama met his Chinese counterpart Hu Jintao, which included a line of support for the improvement of India-Pakistan relations.

New Delhi said in response it does not need any external help to improve ties with neighbour Pakistan.

HURT PEACE TALKS?

With violence down in Kashmir in recent years, India is pulling out troops from the region and has initiated secret talks with separatist groups to come up with a solution, which could also be greater autonomy.

Experts said the latest Hurriyat comment will have an impact on the future of official peace talks, which broke down in 2006. Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh offered to resume talks last month during a visit to Kashmir.

"This is something that was not desirable and Mirwaiz's suggestion that China could play a role along with Pakistan on the Kashmir issue will never go down well with the government," Uday Bhaskar, a New Delhi-based strategic affairs expert, said.

"I am sure the Hurriyat's latest statement will irritate New Delhi further," said Noor Ahmed Baba, dean of the faculty of social science at the Kashmir University.

A clear government reaction was not immediately available.

"It is unfortunate for them (separatists) to say so. We are watching the situation closely," said one home ministry official, who was not authorised to speak to the media.

India and Pakistan, who claim the whole region, have fought two of their three wars over Kashmir, where tens of thousands of people have died in two decades of violence.

Ties between the two neighbours nosedived after last November's Mumbai attacks, in which 166 people were killed and New Delhi blamed Pakistan-based militants for the attacks. (Additional reporting by Bappa Majumdar in New Delhi; Editing by Sonya Hepinstall)

Kashmir separatists: China has stake in S.Asia peace | Reuters

China is beginning to act more like a global superpower by playing an increasingly important role in its South Asian neighborhood, with growing interest in Afghanistan and Kashmir.

The United States, as the reigning superpower deeply involved in South Asia, essentially acknowledged China's stature in the region when the following paragraph found its way into the joint communique issued by President Barak Obama and President Hu Jintao at the end their recent summit in Beijing:

"The two sides welcomed all efforts conducive to peace, stability and development in South Asia. They support the efforts of Afghanistan and Pakistan to fight terrorism, maintain domestic stability and achieve sustainable economic and social development, and support the improvement and growth of relations between India and Pakistan. The two sides are ready to strengthen communication, dialogue and cooperation on issues related to South Asia and work together to promote peace, stability and development in that region."

Coming a week before Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit to Washinton, these developments have already caused consternation in New Delhi, prompting Times of India to complain in the following words:

"China , Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Afghanistan, Pakistan... US president Barack Obama ran through the gamut of nations as he articulated another elegant Asia policy speech in Tokyo this week. Conspicuous by its absence was India. Was India not on his radar? Or was it such a close ally that he skipped naming it at a public function? It left New Delhi wondering. Just two days later, bam! He did something even more astonishing by acquiescing in a Chinese demand to let Beijing assume the role of a monitor in South Asia, an area where China is seen by India as part of the problem, not the solution."

Haq's Musings: China's Growing Role in Afghanistan, Kashmir

China is a part of the problem and no where near the solution.

I think it a good sign that South Asians wish for China involvement to bring peace to the region.

Well Mirwaiz is right in a way. China should return parts of ladakh and shaksam valley that it occupies so that the dispute can be resolved!

I think it a good sign that South Asians wish for China involvement to bring peace to the region.

China cannot be a partner in bringing peace to S Asia so long as it hold parts of the area in dispute - Aksai Chin & the region ceded to it by Pk.

In any case, India does not accept arbitration on an issue that the aggrieved parties have decided to resolve mutually only.

Last edited:
The Mirwaiz has learnt how to stoke a fire. This statement coming at a time when there is considerable angst in GoI about Obama's China joint statement seeks to put the GoI on the back foot and at the same time put additional international pressure on the govt. Good opportunism, but as Uday Bhaskar says, it may hamper the peace talks.

China cannot be a partner in bringing peace to S Asia so long as it hold parts of the area in dispute - Aksai Chin & the region ceded to it by Pk.

In any case, India does not accept arbitration on an issue that the aggrieved parties have decided to resolve mutually only.

I think peace will require some give and take. China would probably give India Aksai Chin in return for Arunachal Pradesh and I think all three countries would not find it difficult to make Kashmir an autonomous zone where in 10 years a referendum can be held finally determining what happens to the area. Its all in the mindset and India seems the only one interested in conflict.

I think peace will require some give and take. China would probably give India Aksai Chin in return for Arunachal Pradesh and I think all three countries would not find it difficult to make Kashmir an autonomous zone where in 10 years a referendum can be held finally determining what happens to the area. Its all in the mindset and India seems the only one interested in conflict.

I dont think India has to provide anything to China (other than "Thanks, what took you so long?") for getting back Aksai Chin. It wasn't India that 'handed' Aksai Chin to China, it was Pakistan. What Pakistan might have to give to China, I'll let the two friends decide on that, amicably of course.

And as I see, India is not interested in conflict in Kashmir. No country wants terrorist attacks on its soil nor does it want to lose its soldiers in IED explosions. As to the solution to Kashmir, well there's another forum for that.

if you still insist that all disputed land are yours, and not allow any land swap, i think the disputes will never end until a decisive dramatic change, which may be harmful and forceful .

Back
Top Bottom