What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Charge Nehru with sedition, Arundhati tells Delhi

By Jawed Naqvi

Sunday, 28 Nov, 2010

NEW DELHI, Nov 27: A Delhi court ordered police on Saturday to file charges against a Kashmiri resistance leader and his Indian supporters who have been accused by the national media of sedition.

However, writer activist Arundhati Roy, one of the alleged participants in a recent ‘anti-national’ seminar, said police should first file sedition charges against Jawaharlal Nehru because the country’s first prime minister believed the Kashmir dispute could only be settled by the people of Kashmir.

Delhi’s Metropolitan Magistrate Navita Kumari Bagga directed the police to lodge an FIR against hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Ms Roy and five others on the charge of sedition for their alleged anti-India speeches.

Ms Bagga, under pressure from rightwing Hindu petitioners, slammed the police for their prolonged inaction and ‘weird’ reply that no offence was made out against Mr Geelani and Ms Roy, whose speeches had triggered a nationwide controversy.

Ms Roy said it was a frivolous case which had sought to shift the focus away from the raging financial scandals that have rocked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government. Leading media personalities, some of them questioning her patriotism, were caught in the net of a damaging probe.

In a press statement, Ms Roy listed a number of occasions when India’s first prime minister had described the Kashmir dispute in a manner which would offend most Indians today. She urged the police to file an FIR against Mr Nehru posthumously.

According to Ms Roy, in his statement in the Indian Constituent Assembly on 25th November, 1947, Mr Nehru said:

“In order to establish our bona fide, we have suggested that when the people are given the chance to decide their future, this should be done under the supervision of an impartial tribunal such as the United Nations Organisation. The issue in Kashmir is whether violence and naked force should decide the future or the will of the people”.

In his statement in the Indian Parliament on 7th August, 1952, according to Ms Roy, Mr Nehru said:

“Kashmir is very close to our minds and hearts and if by some decree or adverse fortune, ceases to be a part of India, it will be a wrench and a pain and torment for us. If, however, the people of Kashmir do not wish to remain with us, let them go by all means. We will not keep them against their will, however painful it may be to us. I want to stress that it is only the people of Kashmir who can decide the future of Kashmir…

However sad we may feel about leaving we are not going to stay against the wishes of the people. We are not going to impose ourselves on them on the point of the bayonet”.

Ms Roy said the Indian government was clearly violating Mr Nehru’s pledge by seeking to bludgeon the people of Kashmir into submission.

DAWN.COM | Front Page | Charge Nehru with sedition, Arundhati tells Delhi

Attempt to disrupt Mirwaiz's seminar in Kolkata

SUNDAY, 28 NOVEMBER 2010 14:29 KDNN
New Delhi: Scores of Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) workers on Sunday tried to disrupt a meeting to protest against the presence of Hurriyat Conference chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq at a seminar in Kolkata.

BJP workers carrying party flags and raising anti Hurriyat and Pakistan slogans tried to enter the venue. A huge contingent of police was deployed to thwart any attempt to disrupt the meeting. Police arrested around 20 BJP workers from outside the venue in Kolkata.

On November 25, Mirwaiz was heckled and manhandled by a group of Kashmiri Pandits backed by radical right wing groups at a seminar in Chandigarh.

You can support your religious nutjobs as much as you want, they have done something illegal by barging into a private seminar.

Asim If you are referring to these lines -

Then I should remind you they were in reference to the Chandigarh incident.

In our cricketing parlance - You are really out of form these days :D
I know that they weren't successful, the Kashmir dispatch pointed out that they only tried to disrupt the meeting, and the Indian media used the word ATTACKED, not me. That is another thing, BJP faced the bisti and had to walk off.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Thats why they are arrested and removed.
But they did disrupt and showed their loser-panna :D

[/COLOR]
The word "attacked" was used by Indian media as I pointed out and it doesn't make it any better if they only managed to disrupt his seminar and weren't successful at attacking him.

I know that they weren't successful, the Kashmir dispatch pointed out that they only tried to disrupt the meeting, and the Indian media used the word ATTACKED, not me. That is another thing, BJP faced the bisti and had to walk off.

Cmon man -- you just cant add your own mirch masala to make it sound like an attack.

Any Indian has the constitutionally granted right to protest against what he deems fit and Mirwaiz is not some sacred cow and his words are not gospel that no-one should protest against him.

The Kolkata civil society responded admirably well and showed him his true place without even lifting their hand.Infact he should consider himself extremely lucky to have such a civilised audience.

No one is attacked here. They have been asked question which they couldn't answer.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

But they did disrupt and showed their loser-panna :D

They protested outside, and inside the separatist leader was left speechless by pointed questions. The faker was totally exposed and had no answer to the questions asked. I would love them to go to Chennai next... :rofl:

We should get Rajnikant to attend in Chennai

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...-real-civil-society-put-splittists-place.html

@ Asim

Protests happen in a country like India , which is not something new or big as u are highlighting.

We saw protests when even Obama visited.

We see protests by traders when a new scheme which can harm them is introduced.Like that so many instances are there. We see protests everyday and everywhere.

There is nothing big in highlighting ,

With the lapse of security in Chandigarh, police has rightfully managed to arrest the few of the protesters (afterall they didnt protest throwing stones) and hopefully the states which have welcomed him for seminars will go on.

He has been welcomed to do a seminar in the state.. if all are against it he wouldn't had the permission to do in places across the nation.

This means a citizen has the right of speech even on sensitive matters and few protestors doesnt mean the whole nation.

Walls are closing in on Ms Roy. She should have stuck with Maoists since they have a section of sympathisers, but with J&K, she has bitten off more than she can chew..

Mirwaiz is protesting human rights violations, and Indians are protesting what he is protesting...

In essence Indians are saying they should be allowed to carry on with their Human Rights violations. Wah bahi. There is no tuk, no mantak to this protest other than disrupting the truth from coming out.

And I strongly protest the wordings of the title which are nothing but deceit and propaganda. :sick:

Now I strongly feel since anyway every visit 'will' be labelled as an attack --- the attack should atleast take place for real.

They protested outside, and inside the separatist leader was left speechless by pointed questions. The faker was totally exposed and had no answer to the questions asked. I would love them to go to Chennai next... :rofl:

We should get Rajnikant to attend in Chennai

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...-real-civil-society-put-splittists-place.html
Hasb-e-rawayat, Indian civil societies question even there were offtopic and they were essentially trolling.

he is there to discuss IA human rights violations everything else is a diversion.

Back
Top Bottom