What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Mirwaiz has already traveled outside of India before... So I'm thinking its not an issue.

Mirwaiz can travel to the ME and go from there

Hopefully not.

Our region of the world (Asia) is unstable enough already, without another war being fought between two large nuclear nations.

Pakistan has just the right demographics, economic situation and geopolitical ambition that will belie your hope.
Unless one of the above drastically changes for the better, it's only a matter of time before something serious breaks out, I'm afraid.

Last edited:
A good move, the Kashmiri Struggle needs to be internationalized by the Hurriyat. At the moment, the Hurriyat is too "local", a strong worded negative statement on Obama's remarks to Kashmir and protests in the US by Kashmiris abroad would have great effect, for example. Similarly, the Hurriyat needs to move away from the OIC and closer to the UN, an organization India aspires to become a permananent member of. Regular, strong worded speaches in the UN would draw some publicity.

Mobilizing the Kashmiri diaspora in Western Countries such as the US and UK would also be profitable, these are important players for India and protests against India by citizens of the UK would be a blow to relations between UK / India.

Rephrased

So basically is/are there some member who is/are actually in Pakistan Kashmir or Indian Kashmir now.... as we are getting into some completely other topic.

I'm from Pakistani Kashmir, Azad Jammu and Kashmir. I view the current unrest as an ongoing struggle and rightful representations of Kashmiris' feelings towards India. My grandad for example, lived through Dogra times and hails the Pakistani Army as his saviors, whereas, he literally loaths the Indian Army for their brutal occupation and war with Kashmir and the Kashmiris. Kashmir was a soverign nation, due to some events, its soveriegnty was breached, for better or for worse, India is still responsible for caring for Kashmiri citizens in a humane way.

Let me give you an example, AJK has a part of Mangla Dam I believe within it, a lot of villages were displaced in the building of the dam. Pakistani irregulars invaded Kashmir first too. However, their is hardly any resistance to Pakistan in comparison to the one in IOK. Why? Because Pakistan has treated Kashmiris humanly and with respect to their deserved rights. Ofcourse, the large majority want an indepedent state of Kashmir, but are very proud of Pakistan and its' achievements. Pakistani independence day is celebrated and Dr. A. Q Khan is a hero. The level of co-operation and brotherhood is so deep due to the common enemy of both peoples, India. Kashmiris see Pakistanis as a brother fighting for their freedom, and as that, a natural ally.

I'll say it a thousand times, Kashmir is India's biggest blunder. The issue could have been resolved, but the Indian Forces acted in an inhumane way against the Kashmiri population, equalling an occupation. - There's a reason I call Pakistani Kashmir, Pakistan Held Kashmir and Indian Kashmir as Indian Occupied Kashmir.

Looks like the world's speaking up on Kashmir, first Norway, now Canada.

Canadian diplomats call on Malik
UMER MAQBOOL DAR
Smaller Default Larger
undefined

Srinagar, Nov 21: The 2-member team of Canadian High Commission called on the chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front Muhammad Yasin Malik here on Sunday.
The team comprising July G. Bentley head of political affairs and Sumitra Dave, economic and political advisor of Canadian High Commission arrived at Malik’s Maisuma residence this afternoon.
“Past 63-years of conflict have consumed our four generations. It is the moral duty of the international community to get the Kashmir issue resolved once for all,” Malik told the 2-member team.
“Due to changing world scenario, we showed transition from violent to non-violent struggle and it should have been respected, but instead indiscriminate force was used to crush it,” Malik said.
The JKLF chief said, “Not a single policeman or a paramilitary CRPF trooper was killed during past five months. But we received 112 bodies which included the bodies of children in the age group of 9, 12 and 14.”
“Government has even snatched space for the peaceful protests and I appeal the international community to play its role so that Kashmiris are not compelled to resort to the violence again. We are not against India’s economic progress but when a country is heading towards becoming a big power, peace is imperative for it, so India should resolve Kashmir for its stability and peace,” he added.
Pertinently, the Canadian High Commission, over the past few years, has denied visas to a number of senior serving and retired officials of the armed forces and intelligence establishment, claiming that their organizations or they themselves served in areas like Jammu and Kashmir and engaged in violence and human rights violations.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Canadian diplomats call on Mirwaiz
Lastupdate at : Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:43:35 IST
Smaller Default Larger

Srinagar: The 2-member team of Canadian High Commission called on the chairman of Hurriyat Conference (M), Mirwaiz Umar Farooq here on Monday.
The team comprising July G. Bentley head of political affairs and Sumitra Dave, economic and political advisor of Canadian High Commission arrived at Mirwaiz’s Nageen residence this afternoon and discussed the present Kashmir situation, Mirwaiz’s close aide, Shahid-ul-Islam told Greater Kashmir.

The majority of Kashmiris want an indepedent state of Kashmir, an even larger majority want their right to self determination to be exercised as promised by India over 60 years ago. Pakistan supports the Kashmiri struggle morally and diplomatically.

Why don't you guys remove your occupying forces from Kashmir and let us live in peace?
This "majority" is according to you. Not according to what is here in the state. And separatists are lesser than the number of kashmiri pandits, buddhists and sikhs; forget the total population.

There was never a Kashmiri struggle until you sent your meddlers in in late 80s. Sorry Norway, or any other country having an opinion has the right to keep talking about it; we don't really care. And FYI, I have relations in that state so no need to tell me about how authentic I am.

This "majority" is according to you. Not according to what is here in the state. And separatists are lesser than the number of kashmiri pandits, buddhists and sikhs; forget the total population.

There was never a Kashmiri struggle until you sent your meddlers in in late 80s. Sorry Norway, or any other country having an opinion has the right to keep talking about it; we don't really care. And FYI, I have relations in that state so no need to tell me about how authentic I am.

The Kashmiri Pandits, Sikhs and Buddhists are actually a minority, I believe. As for the majority, look up various Kashmir Survey's. :agree:

why does it stop for you?
is it because the Foreign minister said something you dont like?
its a known fact that Kashmiri freedom stuggle is indigenous and as old as the founding of 2 indipendent states of India & Pakistan. whether anyone says it openley or not wont change the reality

Please dont twist the story to your liking....

The report clearly mentions that the current wave of violence was incited by local youth pelting stones....

This is in no way giving Pakistan a free pass in the terrorism that it has supported in the name of freedom and religion in Kashmir for the past 2 decades....
In fact, taking a snipette of the story to build a cause does not change why Kashmir is highly militarized and in a mess in the first place...

Could not find a single non-Pakistani source which reports Norway's comments on Kashmir.

If Norway had indeed made those remarks, then it would have created a lot of buzz in international media. Sorry, but cannot take these news reports seriously unless it is published by a neutral source.

The Kashmiri Pandits, Sikhs and Buddhists are actually a minority, I believe. As for the majority, look up various Kashmir Survey's. :agree:
The separatist population are even smaller in amount than these 'minorities'. Looking at a few pictures can have a different psychological image. By the way they weren't below the standard 10% until overly made. Choose not to believe me but that is your choice.

And for some reason you say "majority of Kashmiris". :lol:

And which survey did you exactly see? I don't think you have access to GOI's personal documents especially regarding J&K because not even prime Indian researchers have access to them. Don't speak for the heck of argument. :tdown:

Respect human rights in Kashmir: Norwegian FM to India

Oslo: Norway has expressed its concern on the fresh violence in Kashmir and urged India to respect human rights. "I fully share the concern for the situation in Kashmir. Human rights standards should be followed by all countries, of course, also by India. Young people who throw stones should not be met by sharp shots," Jonas Gahr Store, Norwegian,Foreign Minister told the Norwegian parliament during a maiden debate on Kashmir conflict earlier this week.

He impressed upon both India and Pakistan to solve the 63-year old dispute giving due consideration to the aspiration of Kashmiris to arrive at a final settlement.

The separatist population are even smaller in amount than these 'minorities'. Looking at a few pictures can have a different psychological image. By the way they weren't below the standard 10% until overly made. Choose not to believe me but that is your choice.

And for some reason you say "majority of Kashmiris". :lol:

And which survey did you exactly see? I don't think you have access to GOI's personal documents especially regarding J&K because not even prime Indian researchers have access to them. Don't speak for the heck of argument. :tdown:

If you truly believe you have a majority, :rofl: lets have a plebiscite, and put your money, where your mouth is :cheers:

@Topic

wow!!! Excellent news... we need support on Kashmir movement from as many countries as possible to find the peaceful resolution of Kashmir dispute... particularly the European and Scandinavian part.

Otherwise both countries can't do nothing, all alone

Norway is a small scandinavian country right?

no i guess it is in south america.. near to chile and peru... :)

Oh.what a Major set back for india. To counter the omnipotent norway , we have support of papua new gini. .
Stop your B.S.

Today, Norway ranks as the second wealthiest country in the world in monetary value,[9][10][11] with the largest capital reserve per capita of any nation. Norway is the world’s fifth largest oil exporter,[12] and the petroleum industry accounts for around a quarter of its Gross domestic product.[13] Following the ongoing financial crisis of 2007–2010, bankers have deemed the Norwegian krone to be one of the most solid currencies in the world.[14]

Norway has rich resources of oil, natural gas, hydroelectric power, forests, and minerals, and was the second largest exporter of seafood (in value, after the People's Republic of China) in 2006.[15] Other major industries include shipping, food processing, shipbuilding, the metal industry, chemicals, mining, fishing, and the pulp and paper products from forests. Norway maintains a Scandinavian welfare model with universal health-care, subsidized higher education, and a comprehensive social security system. Norway was ranked highest of all countries in human development from 2001 to 2007,[3] and then again in 2009 and 2010.[16] In 2010, the World Economic Forum deemed Norway as the 14th most competitive country in the world, however placing at the near bottom of Western Europe. In 2010, Norway was also rated the fifth most peaceful country in the world in a 2010 survey by Global Peace Index.[17]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom