What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Forget Kashmir, lets just move on.

Let not one issue bind the relations down between two countries.

Just a question is there any member here who is currently there/actually in Kashmir in either the Pakistan side and the Indian side. What's your take on what's going.

I have been to Kashmir (Indian) and what really puzzled me to be honest is even then (this was 1 yrs ago) there was protesting stone throwing etc... But this was basically only in Srinagar and that too centred but more or less in the centre. Everywhere else was peaceful... there was a night curfew when I was there for 2 days and luckily nothing kicked off during the day when I was there. I went around Baramullah, Gulmarg etc.... and everything there seemed normal.

Hows the situation now is gone worse? Would appreciate a response from someone actually there and not hear say from others.

Last edited:
UNSC hasn't discussed Kashmir in 45 yrs

In 2005, the then UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, declared that the "plebiscite" issue could not be enforced or self-implemented. But it was after Annan's remarks, made in the context of the resumption of the India-Pakistan dialogue in 2005, that the UNSC dropped the reference to the dispute. In the past five years there has been no such mention.

This, sums up UN's stance on Kashmir.

Im planning to go backpacking to India next year and wish to visit Amarnath Temple in Kashmir i would like to speak to locals there to see how is life also.

It is high time that people realize the UN resolution for plebiscite is not feasible anymore ... If it could have been done it should have been done then and there. Both India and Pakistan should realize this and settle this issue on the table between themselves... dragging this or trying to internationalize the issue does not help the cause for the Kashmiris and for the betterment of people of both the countries.

I'm not from Kashmir but spent the time of 2002-03 tensions deployed against Indian forces in Kashmir. Does that count as something ?:what:

I'm not from Kashmir but spent the time of 2002-03 tensions deployed against Indian forces in Kashmir. Does that count as something ?:what:

Well just wanted to know how things are on the ground in Kashmir. Its a pretty volatile border isn't it with both sides opening fire occasionally on each other. Are you still in service?

Last edited:
All areas are peaceful,except when millitants activity increases.
It was at its peak when UNSC seat issue was going on.
It follows a pattern, when ever a major Head of state visits or that there is to be UN deliberations.
So it is a cyclic phenomenon, and GOI has taken big steps in barricading the LOC to minimise the infilteration.
The locals are fed up as well the businesses, there have been representations to carry out more forceful operations against the millitants. But what worries the GOI is the collateral damage.
If cross border terrorism is not stopped, then it might take a little longer for normalcy to come.

Well just wanted to know how things are on the ground in Kashmir. Its a pretty volatile border isn't it with both sides opening fire occupationally on each other. Are you still in service?

I'm not military, however the nature of my work keeps me with the military. So by that regard, yes I am still active.
As for the ground situation: It was pretty bad at the time, people's livelihoods were destroyed, many had to migrate, people lost homes and relatives since the Indians made little distinction between civilian and military targets. For them, every building on our side of the border belonged to the enemy but we had to be very careful to avoid civilian casualties to avoid losing respect with the Kashmiris. There were quite a few assassination attempts on officers, especially the commandant. Usually IEDs and Anti-tank mines. We also caught Indian spies who came to set up the IEDs and for recon. Most of them are with the ISI others we turned into double agents and they subsequently settled in Pakistan. If you had anything particular you would like to ask, you are more than welcome.........

All areas are peaceful,except when millitants activity increases.
It was at its peak when UNSC seat issue was going on.
It follows a pattern, when ever a major Head of state visits or that there is to be UN deliberations.
So it is a cyclic phenomenon, and GOI has taken big steps in barricading the LOC to minimise the infilteration.
The locals are fed up as well the businesses, there have been representations to carry out more forceful operations against the millitants. But what worries the GOI is the collateral damage.
If cross border terrorism is not stopped, then it might take a little longer for normalcy to come.

There is no such thing as cross border terrorism(apart from very few special cases), that's just a lie that you govt feeds you to make up for their failure in ensuring peace in the region.

There is no such thing as cross border terrorism(apart from very few special cases), that's just a lie that you govt feeds you to make up for their failure in ensuring peace in the region.

Something which the Kashmiri people know is not true

Last edited by a moderator:

You think it's really that tough to fake a video ? I saw a video of "Muslim Pakistani ISI Atankwadis" on India Tv last year while(they were) training, and it was such a poor attempt at a fake. They had the Pakistani flag painted on their barrack, there were some in their training ground and there were some painted on trees on the path supposedly taken by them for being infiltrated into Indian !
And they didn't even look Pakistani !

You think it's really that tough to fake a video ? I saw a video of "Muslim Pakistani ISI Atankwadis" on India Tv last year while(they were) training, and it was such a poor attempt at a fake. They had the Pakistani flag painted on their barrack, there were some in their training ground and there were some painted on trees on the path supposedly taken by them for being infiltrated into Indian !
And they didn't even look Pakistani !

That video is not fake! she is a Kashmiri lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom