What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Arundhati is a good writer and I think if she wants to take on a role as a political or social commentator she is something of a misfit. Her views will never be accepted or even considered by the majority of Indians. I think she should stand for an election and get feedback from the masses before making statement in such sensitive areas. However, she also has quite a large international audience - their opinion of her is quite different. There is a saying "fools rush in where angels fear to tread." to say what she said in India, was definitely foolish. She should have said it in the south of France - and then stayed there permanently.

Poor woman. She says the truth and stands up for what she believes in but in return she has to face life threatening situations.

Hello ?? Reality check urgently needed! You are a fine one to talk considering that a broken flower pot would be considered life threatening in your country only if it was packed with C4.

Giving Arundhati the freedom would show how secular and tolerant Indian people are. But such incidents highlight the fact that the current India is far from that.
What is sauce for goose, is sauce for gander as well. Just as Ms Roy has freedom of speech to speak her mind, her opponents also have the same freedom of speech to oppose her. If you can't take it, don't speak it. If you speak it, be ready to to take it as well.

PS: What has secularism got to do with this current incident?

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/78284-algebra-infinite-fundamentalism.html

^Quoting from the above article.

And the final characteristic of the fundamentalist is that he/she will have two standards—one for the self and one for everyone else.

While the Sangh Parivar does not seem to have come to a final decision over whether or not it is anti-national and suicidal to question the police, Arnab Goswami, anchorperson of Times Now television, has stepped up to the plate. He has taken to naming, demonizing, and openly heckling people who have dared to question the integrity of the police and armed forces.

My name and the name of the well-known lawyer Prashant Bhushan have come up several times. At one point, while interviewing a former police officer, Arnab Goswami turned to the camera: “Arundhati Roy and Prashant Bhushan,” he said. “I hope you are watching this. We think you are disgusting.”

For a TV anchor to do this in an atmosphere as charged and as frenzied as the one that prevails today amounts to incitement, as well as threat, and would probably in different circumstances have cost a journalist his or her job.
[link]

So let’s get this straight Ms. Roy. According to you, calling you “disgusting” is sufficient reason for a journalist to lose his job. What’s Goswami’s crime here? Finding you disgusting? Expressing his opinion?

Well Ms. Roy, you regularly call the Indian government several uncomplimentary things, to put it politely. You say that Kashmir should be given independence. So if we go by your line of reasoning about Mr. Goswami, what if some Indians start saying that your advocacy of the cessation of an integral part of India should be considered a “threat”, an incitement for the more violent “freedom-fighters”, reason enough to cost you your freedom ?

If people actually did that, then you would be on TV shouting how India is characterized by a tendency to “criminalize liberal space”. Which in any case you do, even though noone in India would deny you your right to speak for Kashmiri independence. After all we are not the country of the “oppressed”—Pakistan or China for example.

But even a champion of free speech and dissent like you draws a line when free speech becomes too much. When it is directed at you.

As to openly heckling people who disagree with your point of view, let me quote from one of Ms. Roy’s own interviews if only to show things are done the “Arundhati” way.

He (Ramachandra Guha)’s become like a stalker who shows up at my doorstep every other Sunday. Some days he comes alone. Some days he brings his friends and family, they all chant and stamp… It’s an angry little cottage industry that seems to have sprung up around me. Like a bunch of keening god-squadders, they link hands to keep their courage up and egg each other on. [link]

Again, Ms. Roy is free to be vitriolic about Ramachandra Guha and his “smug friends”. But they, and anyone who is not impressed with Ms. Roy, should also be free to express their opinions and Ms. Roy should be man enough to take it without crying “Look look they are threatening me” as if calling someone “disgusting” is a threat.

---- *** ----

Sorry Mrs Ray, freedom of speech is a two way street and you, of all, should not complain being at the receiving end of it.

^^ In a recent interview on NDTV, Barkha Dutt asked Ramchandra Guha what he thought of Ms Roy, '' Intellectual or scholar ?''. Guha replied, "Neither"

PS: It was addressed to Abir's post.

Occupied state of Jammu and Kashmir I guess :undecided:
I find it a little amusing. I understand that they want to imply that Indian administered Kashmir is 'occupied', but strangely enough they choose to mention the entire State of Jammu and Kashmir, which according to UN maps, is the name of the region that includes Gilgit-Baltistan and Hunza provinces, as occupied. Given that a large part of this state of Jammu and Kashmir is actually under Pakistan's control, not to mention the Chinese as well, this is tantamount to admitting, albeit unwittingly, that even their country is 'occupying' the state.

Freudian slip?

The "K" word comes out and people start foaming at the mouth over who owns it

I always thought, though i am obviously in the minority that Kashmir doesnt belong to either India or Pakistan but belongs to the Kashmiri's

Let me correct the above statement for you,

Valley Muslims may/may not belong to India,but the Valley belongs to the Union of India.

Reactions: WHF
'Our' if you meant independence from British.

List of freedom fighters -
Indian independence activists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dont like Nehru, Gandhi.

Hehe azzhole is nothing abuse, In my state Gandhi = D1ck, both bald on top. Masturbation = Beating Gandhi, We ask in Punjabi 'Tu Gandhi kutna chhad ta?' English - (Have you stopped beating your Gandhi?) Hindi/Urdu - 'Muth Marni Chod di kya?'

yess...the lack of hair on his head..was the exact reason we have him on our currency notes...
we can even have a d!ck on them notes can't we?
father of the nation....the d!ck...eh?

'Our' if you meant independence from British.

List of freedom fighters -
Indian independence activists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dont like Nehru, Gandhi.

Hehe azzhole is nothing abuse, In my state Gandhi = D1ck, both bald on top. Masturbation = Beating Gandhi, We ask in Punjabi 'Tu Gandhi kutna chhad ta?' English - (Have you stopped beating your Gandhi?) Hindi/Urdu - 'Muth Marni Chod di kya?'

My oh my. Now that's too much for a national hero. Wonder how it can be consider as a criticism.
:rolleyes:

My oh my. Now that's too much for a national hero. Wonder how it can be consider as a criticism.

National hero for some, while villain for many. There decisions are open to criticism. I believe it is better to criticize than to blindly believe what others say. But I agree such language should not be used to address people who fought for our independence.

National hero for some, while villain for many. There decisions are open to criticism. I believe it is better to criticize than to blindly believe what others say. But I agree such language should not be used to address people who fought for our independence.

The words I quoted don't fall under the category of criticism.

Nehru for all his virtues and visions was not suited as the PM of a country which had just gained independence with her economy and military in shambles ,
As a man ....kind and compassionate , trusting as he was , he could have been loved and idolized by millions but the country needed a strong leader at that point, more than someone who lived in his own ideal world as the article says

"Nehru kept talking about United Nations , Russsia etc "

Overall he failed miserably in both effective governance and foreign policy , Sarder Patel on the other hand was a practical ,blunt personality who minced no words in safeguarding India's interests ......I wonder what would have happened had Subhash Chandra Bose curbed his revolutionary instincts to remain in the Congress, reach an understanding with Gandhi but then he was too individual for it .......

Bose with his ideas of aggressive industrialization and foreign policy would have governed India considerably better than the congress rule under Nehru for the first two decades....

Then I guess our citizen are open to more public scrutiny than your standards.

In India, we have freedom of speech and a culture of tolerance towards diverse views. If we can allow Mr. Geelani to abuse the state in it's capital, then airing views on an online forum on deceased personnel is nothing.

actually you have no idea, there are 100s of non veg jokes about gandhi nehru and indira and lots of politicians :D

Back
Top Bottom