What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
In hindsight, there may have been better ways, but we cannot call it the worst thing in general, as it saved a lot of lives.

For a source:

July 13:The people of Kashmir had been raising their voice against the Dogra usurpation of their land and as a result they faced brutal consequences.

thanks for the insight brother
I pray for an independent & free Kashmir according to the wishes and demand of the Kashmiri people

Tuesday, 26 October 2010
Ziqa’ad 16, 1431

Pulling Fingernails Won’t Turn Kashmiris Into Indians, Pleads Arundhati Roy​
- ‘Pity that nation that jails those who ask for justice’
- ‘No one should be killed, raped, imprisoned or have their finger-nails pulled out in order to force them to say they are Indians’

--> India’s Nobel laureate meets with the husband and brother of two Kashmiri women raped and killed by India Army soldiers. All major Indian newspapers warn Roy of imminent arrest on sedition charges.

SRINAGAR, Indian-Occupied Kashmir—I write this from Srinagar, Kashmir. This morning’s papers say that I may be arrested on charges of sedition for what I have said at recent public meetings on Kashmir.

I said what millions of people here say every day. I said what I, as well as other commentators have written and said for years.

Anybody who cares to read the transcripts of my speeches will see that they were fundamentally a call for justice.

I spoke about justice for the people of Kashmir who live under one of the most brutal military occupations in the world; for Kashmiri Pandits who live out the tragedy of having been driven out of their homeland; for Dalit soldiers killed in Kashmir whose graves I visited on garbage heaps in their villages in Cuddalore; for the Indian poor who pay the price of this occupation in material ways and who are now learning to live in the terror of what is becoming a police state.

Yesterday I traveled to Shopian, the apple-town in South Kashmir which had remained closed for 47 days last year in protest against the brutal **** and murder of Asiya and Nilofer, the young women whose bodies were found in a shallow stream near their homes and whose murderers have still not been brought to justice.

I met Shakeel, who is Nilofer’s husband and Asiya’s brother. We sat in a circle of people crazed with grief and anger who had lost hope that they would ever get ‘insaaf’ – justice - from India, and now believed that Azadi – freedom - was their only hope.

I met young stone-pelters who had been shot through their eyes. I traveled with a young man who told me how three of his friends, teenagers in Anantnag district, had been taken into custody and had their finger-nails pulled out as punishment for throwing stones.

In the papers some have accused me of giving ‘hate-speeches’, of wanting India to break up.

On the contrary, what I say comes from love and pride.

It comes from not wanting people to be killed, raped, imprisoned or have their finger-nails pulled out in order to force them to say they are Indians. It comes from wanting to live in a society that is striving to be a just one.

Pity the nation that has to silence its writers for speaking their minds. Pity the nation that needs to jail those who ask for justice, while communal killers, mass murderers, corporate scamsters, looters, rapists, and those who prey on the poorest of the poor, roam free.”

Arundhati Roy is an Indian Nobel laureate opposed to her country’s occupation of Kashmir. This comment was published by SOS Kashmir

S.O.S. Kashmir

--> India’s Nobel laureate meets with the husband and brother of two Kashmiri women raped and killed by India Army soldiers. All major Indian newspapers warn Roy of imminent arrest on sedition charges.

S.O.S. Kashmir

For all thats worth, this piece of garbage gets passed as news!!

Arundhati Roy and Nobel prize? Pray, when did she win that Nobel prize and for what?

When the source cannot get their information right, their credibility is questionable to say the least.

Second point, where in Indian media are their opinions or editorials warning that ****** AR about "imminent arrest"? The fact that GoI has ignored that attention wh0re and refuses to arrest her says a lot how much credibility she has in India.

In hindsight, there may have been better ways, but we cannot call it the worst thing in general, as it saved a lot of lives.

For a source:

July 13:The people of Kashmir had been raising their voice against the Dogra usurpation of their land and as a result they faced brutal consequences. On July 13, 1931, a large number of Kashmiris gathered in front of the Srinagar central jail, at a time when the trial of a youth Abdul Qadeer accused of involvement in a case of agitation, was in progress inside the jail. The objective was to demonstrate solidarity with the young man. As the time for obligatory prayer approached a young Kashmiri stood for Azan (Call for the prayer) and the Dogra police opened fire on him, and he got martyred. Thereby, another youth took the place of the martyred young man and started the Azan. He too was shot dead. In this way 22 Kashmiris embraced martyrdom in their efforts to complete the Azan.

Source - Kashmir Media Service; apart from accounts of my family members, I will get you some more sources when I get the time.

On the contrary ..it ended up spilling lot of blood.. if you take into account the human losses in 3 wars which were fought between Indian-Pakistan.. plus human losses in countering Pakistan sponsored insurgency after 89...net aggregate will be thousand times more than supposed genocide before partition.

As far as link you gave ..which is suppose to give a comprehensive chronological account of mass massacres in Kashmir..gives first incident in 1931 (in which 22 ppl were killed) and next incident in 1947 ..so i don't know about you but it does not look like a genocide to me.

PS : will be waiting on other incidents.

Since when did Ms Roy became a Nobel laureate?

Since when did Ms Roy became a Nobel laureate?

Actually that should be "wannabe Nobel Laureate".
She is aiming for the Nobel Peace Prize. The she will enter the 'hall of fame; with the likes of Henry Kissinger and Menachem Begin. LOLL.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually that should be "wannabe Nobel Laureate".
She is aiming for the Nobel Peace Prize. The she will enter the 'hall of fame; with the likes of Henry Kissinger and Menachem Begin. LOLL.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Is it just me or we forgot Barack Obama?

with all respect to replies of all members, you are ignoring the important fact that whatever the world/uno says, it will be the indian parliament which will decide the future of negotiations on kashmir and no matter what happens indian PM cannot go against the wishes of the parliaments. so think only those solutions which our parliament can accept otherwise go on fighting and nothing will be acheived.

Von Hölle;1227151 said:
On the contrary ..it ended up spilling lot of blood.. if you take into account the human losses in 3 wars which were fought between Indian-Pakistan.. plus human losses in countering Pakistan sponsored insurgency after 89...net aggregate will be thousand times more than supposed genocide before partition.

As far as link you gave ..which is suppose to give a comprehensive chronological account of mass massacres in Kashmir..gives first incident in 1931 (in which 22 ppl were killed) and next incident in 1947 ..so i don't know about you but it does not look like a genocide to me.

PS : will be waiting on other incidents.

The genocide would have continued after the partition, and more civilians would have been killed. Short term, it was a good move but long term it wasn't.

The genocide would have continued after the partition, and more civilians would have been killed. Short term, it was a good move but long term it wasn't.

Well now that you have power to predict alternate reality..perhaps you can also guide me to what would have happened had Elvis not died..:disagree:

..but wait a minute, where is the genocide ..all I can see is two unrelated incidents 16yrs apart.

The invasion of Kashmir was a herroic act by Pakistani irregulars, a heroic act the world has chosen to ignore.
I'm baffled by these emotional statements. What happened to your heroism after that? If you've continued the heriosm, you should've got full Kashmir by now?

Its a crappy knee jerk reaction done by Pakistan, that moved the topic from a possible discussion table to the battle.

Von Hölle;1227035 said:
In the the hindsight ..from Pakistan's point of view.. invasion was the worst thing you could have done..had you not panicked, and talked to the King(perhaps offered him more autonomy- as he wanted to remain in power)...you could have got the whole Kashmir...but you cavalier attitude of might is right made sure that Nehru got Kashmir on his own terms...

Thats exactly the point I am trying to make. Pakistan got suckered into invading Kashmir and losing it. I remember reading it in one of the books of Khushwant Singh, that GoI sent mixed signals to Pakistan forcing Pakistani establishment to think that an invasion(fictitious) from India was imminant and that forced Pakistan's hand. In my view it was the worst decision of Pakistani foreign policy. Probably worse than even the handling of East Pakistan.

I spoke about justice for the people of Kashmir who live under one of the most brutal military occupations in the world; for Kashmiri Pandits who live out the tragedy of having been driven out of their homeland; for Dalit soldiers killed in Kashmir whose graves I visited on garbage heaps in their villages in Cuddalore; for the Indian poor who pay the price of this occupation in material ways and who are now learning to live in the terror of what is becoming a police state.

and did she bother to speak out against those who drove them out in the first place or was she too scared to do so . More scared than of the "unjust and repressive" GOI ???? Hypocrisy personified

Back
Top Bottom