What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
India is a continent in itself unlike Pakistan and obviously the problems faced by India are at a much bigger scale as compared to Pakistan.Just because some American professors said that Pakistan is cleaner and has better roads ,it does not mean that Pakistan is ahead of India or something.I have read comments posted by many foreigners in other forums where they praise India.

Who cares if India is opposite to all those ills factually present in India.

Kashmiris protesting against Indian State terrorism in their country which is occupied by India is the reality which is now bewildering Indians

TBH, this topic has been discussed several times so there's no point going over it again. I think it should be locked. Both countries have problems and need working. IMO, India is slightly ahead ATM, but I see way too many indians counting their chickens before the eggs have hatched. There's too many things that can happen from now till 2 or 3 decades later when India hopes to become a global power.

It looks like you need to take a break and go do some reading.

Mumbai Pune Expressway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mumbai Pune is 93km which is shorter than highway loops we have *inside* the city of Lahore. Yawn.

Wow, lets start discussing malls and cars now !

Please read my post below

My point was to counter the 'Pakistan has been doing better than India in every field for the past 60 years' misconception

Reality is before 1991 India and Pakistan we're more or less similar in atleast economic indicators, however post 1991 its a different story

Any counter arguments?

We are building a new airport at Islamabad which will be a sight to see. Airports at Lahore and Karachi have been better than Indian airports for 10-15+ years. You are now catching up with things we did 2 decades ago, but we are not passive. For all the nonsense you hear about Pakistan, there are gargantuan construction projects in process.

So, no, you have not caught up with the infrastructure in Pakistan.

Are you saying that Pakistan had a 5.24 million sq.ft passenger terminal 20 years ago?

Interestingly this thread turned from a Kashmir thread to an economic one..:)

Lets see if it reaches LCA and JF 17..:azn:

Are you saying that Pakistan had a 5.24 million sq.ft passenger terminal 20 years ago?

The point is about quality airports and infrastructure, not necessarily having something equivalent. We didn't need something like that.

He said 50 out of 60 years if you didn't catch that, and he's correct.

Well I posted a statistic about GDP growth percentage:

gdp.png

Seems India had a higher growth rate for the past 20 years (extending data till 2010). Before that its pretty much neck to neck.

So, your disgruntled view is only against this Author ? Or anyone else who does not align with your views on why Kashmir should not be United with India ? Because, what i read from the West, are all news going gung-ho about India's current role in the global world, and likewise panning Pakistan on all fronts as to how a nuisance it has become in its role as a forerunner of Terrorism.

My disgruntled view? A more appropriate characterization would be my disgust at the ill-informed, biased nonsense of a two-bit hack of a journo.

What you read "from the west" puts China at #1 and if that's the case, you have no cause much to celebrate. You can try to befriend China, but they are not idiots. As you have seen recently with them directing numerous insults at you, they are more than willing to take you on, whether by laying claims to territory, projecting power in the Indian ocean, putting you down diplomatically by refusing to stamp Indian passports for Kashmir residents or rejecting your top Kashmir-based general's visa application. They know that a fundamental truism in history has been that two global powers cannot share borders. And they have no intention of letting you be more than a regional power...

As for terrorism, look, money talks and bull$hit walks. For all the bull$hit, the entire western world is collaborating with Pakistan. You can keep harping on terror factory and other out-of-date bollywood tunes, but they mean $hit when the entire world is ACTING in a way that confirms Pakistan as friend, helper and ally. Once again, forget how lips move and watch how hips move. The wests hips are moving in pleasing ways viz Pakistan.

And yes, India's economic indicators have improved only in the last 8 years over Pakistan ; But its social indicators have been fairly better than Pakistan over the last 60 years whether be Adult Literacy, Enrollment ratio or even Access to Health is concerned.

You forget that Pakistan has outdone India in numerous development indicators despite the fact that India robbed Pakistan of its fair share of resources at the time of partition (extensive documentation by British officers and I have shared references on this very forum in the past; you can search and satisfy your curiosity. This is an undisputed fact).

As for access to health and literacy, much of the infrastructure including almost all the universities were in India at the time of partition. So there's no surprise that in the early years India fared better in these areas. The rate at which the literacy gap has been closing though is quite remarkable. To give you an example, female literacy numbers in India and Pakistan are both at roughly 64% today. If you read your press and its characterizations of Pakistan, you would think that women in our country are not getting an opportunity to study or learn. As with much else that is written about Pakistan in the Indian press, this too would be nonsense and crap.

Whatever makes you sleep better... self-praise, I suppose, is a drug...

You have the potential to be a regional power several decades hence. If you listen your countrymen spew their grandiose delusions, it would appear India was a first world country. One shouldn't count one's chickens before they've hatched.

I'm not praising ..Look at the facts. Some decades ago we were literally a begging bowl. Today we're donating, even to your country. The future is always uncertain. India is no first world country, it's well known. Irrespective of what you think, India is a powerful nation despite its many problems.. and we, the people of India, are making efforts to solve these problems.

What a ridiculous comment!! When it comes to beggars you guys go with a per-capita argument even though that argument is nonsensical. And when it comes to passenger terminals, suddenly you are comparing square footage! Square footage is irrelevant. The quality, functionality, passenger comfort and safety of the airport is what is being talked about. There was no airport in India 20 years ago that was even close to the fit and finish or the Karachi airport. Not even CLOSE.

and of all the talk of Infrastructure, I would like to make a quick point. Infra is not just fancy clean roads in selected cities that the foreigners get impressed with. Its a cummulation of a variety of factors like Rails, Air corridors, electricity etc. If you refer the world economic forum report on Global competitiveness, you will see some of these parameters defined and both India and Pakistan rated on the same. While Infra in India is not that great, it is still rated 13 ranks above Pakistan's and there was a similar story in 2009 report too

It's completely naive to use what is written in western media and what is said in the west as an indicator of ground reality. The media has its own interests and it depicts things based on those interests.

Anyone that thinks that the situation in Pakistan is worse than India is smoking pot. Recently, one can't help but notice that there is this ludicrous sense of supremacy emanating from Indian quarters; typically the ill informed holier-than-thou types who have been raised on "shining india" posters and think that their garbage doesn't stink. These views, based on stupidity and bias, say far more about the people holding them than they do about Pakistan. This article is clearly written by one of these jackasses.

I am currently in Lahore with two American professors from one of the top 10 CS schools; they are loving every minute of it! Yes, they have been to India. And yes, they say what *every single* American guest of mine has said (and I entertain numerous business acquaintances from the US annually). 1. "What the hell is all the commotion about, there's nothing wrong here..." 2. "This is SO much cleaner than India" 3. "The roads are SO much better than India" 4. "There are SO many less beggars than we saw in India" and so on... I believe William Dalrymple, who has spent a lot of time in both India and Pakistan was quite clear on this subject in a recent talk.

So get off the high horse, or cow or camel or whatever the hell it is, and embrace reality. Pakistan has had better social and economic development indicators than India for almost 50 of the last 60 years. Only in the last 5 years has there been any difference worth pointing to. An whoever thinks that Pakistan's growth rate is permanently at 3-4% is hopelessly deluded. It will go back to 7-9% as per numerous statements by IMF experts and others. Just a few years of good performance has made some people so heady... we didn't get this high on 50 years of superior indicators. Just says a lot about the chichorapana of the lot that thinks they are something special for 5 or 8 years of better numbers in the last 60+. Classless and chichora.

Yeah right, Pakistan is better than India. My a$$. And please stop giving us stupid personal anecdotes on American professors and your Western friends visiting Pakistan and being amazed. You talk about American Professors, we have premier American colleges lining up to enroll Indian students. Last wednesday I attended a seminar by Booth School of business here in Delhi. Let me know when something like that happens in Pakistan. We have the Americans using names like Bangalore to scare their kids into studying harder.

And dont give me $hyt about high growth rates and industrialization.

Talk to us Indians when you have at least 3 companies in the Fortune 500. We have more than 10.

Talk to us when you have a globally recognized brand. We have too many to count here.

Talk to us when a Pakistani company employs more than a thousand Americans. TCS and Infosys do.

Talk to us when a Pakistani company takes over a landmark western institution. Tata did it with JLR and Reliance and Aditya Birla group have done it numerous times.

And talk to us when your country is known for any exports other than global terror.

Untill then, STFU!

I'm not praising ..Look at the facts. Some decades ago we were literally a begging bowl. Today we're donating, even to your country. The future is always uncertain. India is no first world country, it's well known. Irrespective of what you think, India is a powerful nation despite its many problems.. and we, the people of India, are making efforts to solve these problems.

Yes, and so are we, the people of Pakistan. I would consider us, with one of the largest militaries in the world and probably more nuclear weapons than India, pretty strong too. And just like you, we give aid to other nations as well... on a per capita basis, we've spent much more in Afghanistan, for example.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but that just underscores the point that the article which started this thread, and its ridiculous characterization of Pakistan, is fundamentally flawed and biased. That was my point to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom