What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
If this is true, I would be shitting in my pants if I was you. India is this powerful at half dollar a day ...Imagine what will happen when we go 1 dollar a day !

Your false assumption is that we are impressed with India being "this" powerful... meh... don't think so. Keep patting your own back though. I am sure it takes your mind off those old chips on the shoulder.

I am currently in Lahore with two American professors from one of the top 10 CS schools; they are loving every minute of it! Yes, they have been to India. And yes, they say what *every single* American guest of mine has said (and I entertain numerous business acquaintances from the US annually). 1. "What the hell is all the commotion about, there's nothing wrong here..." 2. "This is SO much cleaner than India" 3. "The roads are SO much better than India" 4. "There are SO many less beggars than we saw in India" and so on... I believe William Dalrymple, who has spent a lot of time in both India and Pakistan was quite clear on this subject in a recent talk.

India is a continent in itself unlike Pakistan and obviously the problems faced by India are at a much bigger scale as compared to Pakistan.Just because some American professors said that Pakistan is cleaner and has better roads ,it does not mean that Pakistan is ahead of India or something.I have read comments posted by many foreigners in other forums where they praise India.

India is a continent in itself unlike Pakistan and obviously the problems faced by India are at a much bigger scale as compared to Pakistan.Just because some American professors said that Pakistan is cleaner and has better roads ,it does not mean that Pakistan is ahead of India or something.I have read comments posted by many foreigners in other forums where they praise India.

And conversely, just because this unintelligent article characterizes Pakistan in a way that openly exposes the extreme bias of its author, it doesn't mean that such a characterization has any basis in reality.

Good image doesn't mean ****. It means perception, not reality.

Strong institutions, which ones?

Good leadership, well yes I guess, but this current leadership in Pakistan won't last.

For Pakistan, you could add things like less poverty, better infrastructure, less beggars, etc.
perception is more important than reality. perception drives action. let me give an example.. in marketing, the first thing you will tell is that "it is not that imp how good is your product but the most imp thing is how it is perceive by customers". i dont want to go into that, but you can easily use that analogy in different field. whatever the problems we have, we more or less share a healthy image in the world. by the way, image is all about perception.

Institution:: parliament, Election commission of india, financial institutes, judicial system (bit a slow). indian army, legislative assemblies etc

as far as infrastructure is concerned we are one of the fastest growing

great rail connectivity, telecommunication system, making 20 kms of road every single day, world class international airports

poverty:http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...tan-among-top-seven-with-high-hunger-rate-590

sadly, we are sailing on the same ship

perception is more important than reality. perception drives action. let me give an example.. in marketing, the first thing you will tell is that "it is not that imp how good is your product but the most imp thing is how it is perceive by customers". i dont want to go into that, but you can easily use that analogy in different field. whatever the problems we have, we more or less share a healthy image in the world. by the way, image is all about perception.

Here we're talking about ground reality, not perceptions. Yes I know image = perceptions and etc that you're saying. But what we're concerned about is ground reality. The media shows a very different picture of the two countries relative to their ground reality. And what the media says in turn becomes perceptions. I don't care what perceptions are in the case - I am more concerned with how the situation is at the ground.

Institution:: parliament, Election commission of india, financial institutes, judicial system (bit a slow). indian army, legislative assemblies etc

Well they're probably not much better, but sure.

Your false assumption is that we are impressed with India being "this" powerful... meh... don't think so. Keep patting your own back though. I am sure it takes your mind off those old chips on the shoulder.

The false assumption is yours, not mine. I am not bothered with your impression about India. A non-manipulated google search is whose impression I care about.

What you see as poverty, I see as growth potential. What this sums upto is that we are (currently) a decent force with very immense potentional.

Vir Sangvi's articles are shallow and jingoistic. India's performance is mediocre at best. But said that, India definitely has a better future and the country and its people are confident and sure footed than ever. So, Kashmir has a better chance with India.

That may be your opinion, but Kashmiris and Pakistanis would disagree with you. And thus the enmity continues.

for who this india is not doing great. i can post hundreds of them by different sources from allround the world from both international media and officials of government(including head of state)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good image doesn't mean ****. It means perception, not reality.

Strong institutions, which ones?

Good leadership, well yes I guess, but this current leadership in Pakistan won't last.

For Pakistan, you could add things like less poverty, better infrastructure, less beggars, etc.

Well ,it is very simple .Pakistan has less beggars because it's population is around one tenth of that of India.

Coming to infrastructure Pakistan is no more ahead of India.India is investing a around 300 billion USD to upgrade as well as create new infrastructure .A simple example is the new airport at Delhi.Earlier Pakistanis used to claim that the airport at Islamabad is unparalleled.But now it is nowhere near the New Delhi airport.Forget about Delhi i don't think it is even near the new Hyderabad airport.Almost every major Indian city is getting a mass transit system in the form of metro or monorail etc..Flyover ,multi lane highways are being constructed everywhere.

India is catching up with the world slowly but steadily.

The false assumption is yours, not mine. I am not bothered with your impression about India. A non-manipulated google search is whose impression I care about.

Whatever makes you sleep better... self-praise, I suppose, is a drug...

What you see as poverty, I see as growth potential. What this sums upto is that we are (currently) a decent force with very immense potentional.

You have the potential to be a regional power several decades hence. If you listen to your countrymen spew their grandiose delusions, it would appear India was a first world country. One shouldn't count one's chickens before they've hatched.

Well ,it is very simple .Pakistan has less beggars because it's population is around one tenth of that of India.

That's a false analogy. Think of it this way.

If you're in a city of, say 15 million and see much less beggers in another city of 15 million, what are you going to think about each city and the number of beggers in each city? It's not about numbers but rather proportions. The reason why you see more beggers in India is only due to the fact that a higher proportion of india is in poverty.

Coming to infrastructure Pakistan is no more ahead of India.India is investing a around 300 billion USD to upgrade as well as create new infrastructure .A simple example is the new airport at Delhi.Earlier Pakistanis used to claim that the airport at Islamabad is unparalleled.But now it is nowhere near the New Delhi airport.Forget about Delhi i don't think it is even near the new Hyderabad airport.Almost every major Indian city is getting a mass transit system in the form of metro or monorail etc..Flyover ,multi lane highways are being constructed everywhere.

India is catching up with the world slowly but steadily.

There are numerous infrastructure threads here so I don't want to make this yet another, but do some searching... India's highways are nowhere near infrastructure that existed in Pakistan 15 years ago. If you are building things, do you think we are sitting on our hands? The Ring Road - a 100+ KM 6 lane absolute beauty of a freeway, with dozens of bridges, underpasses, petal interchanges and more has been built in the last 2-3 years. It is almost complete and many parts have opened up already. There is nothing like this in India, much less the M-2 and other multi-hundred mile 6-lane highways that we've had for 15+ years.

We are building a new airport at Islamabad which will be a sight to see. Airports at Lahore and Karachi have been better than Indian airports for 10-15+ years. You are now catching up with things we did 2 decades ago, but we are not passive. For all the nonsense you hear about Pakistan, there are gargantuan construction projects in process.

So, no, you have not caught up with the infrastructure in Pakistan.

Anyone that thinks that the situation in Pakistan is worse than India is smoking pot.

So get off the high horse, or cow or camel or whatever the hell it is, and embrace reality. Pakistan has had better social and economic development indicators than India for almost 50 of the last 60 years.

Interesting....

gdp.png

Seems India had a higher growth rate for the past 20 years (extending data till 2010). Before that its pretty much neck to neck.

poverty.png

So poverty is decreasing in India from the 1990s and, it's increasing in Pakistan ? Would love to see data from 2010

migration.png

Guess many people don't want to live in shining Pakistan

milgd.png

Yup, here you guys outdo us

Back
Top Bottom