What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Someone from sify editorial team masquerading as Kashmiri Businessman. India Media and sadly Indian members hanging on crutches but refusing to accept the ground reality in Kashmir

We can do away with kashmir for a day or two at PDF......cant we.....daily same thing yaar....:tdown:

SRINAGAR: Police fired on fresh anti-India demonstrations in Kashmir on Saturday, killing at least one and bringing the number of civilian deaths in an unprecedented wave of unrest to 100.

The protester was killed in Anantnag town when police shot at demonstrators who were hurling stones, after authorities retrieved the body of a man who drowned earlier in the week when police allegedly chased him into a river.

“Security forces had to open fire to quell the violent demonstration,” a police officer told AFP from Anantnag, south of Srinagar, where a two-decade uprising has been under way against New Delhi's rule.

Government forces have been battling for months to quell angry pro-independence demonstrations in the mainly Muslim region that were ignited by the police killing of a 17-year-old student on June 11.

Thousands spilled onto the streets Saturday in a fresh outpouring of public anger, including woman and children who defied a rigid indefinite curfew brought in across the region to try to contain the unrest.

In Srinagar, protesters spilled into the streets shouting, “We want freedom!” after officials reported another young protester died in hospital Saturday after being hurt earlier in the week by police firing.

So far, 100 protesters and bystanders, including children, have been killed since June according to an AFP tally, mostly by security forces firing on demonstrators who were pelting them with stones, chunks of wood and concrete.

One policeman has also died.

On Friday the London-based human rights group Amnesty International called on Indian authorities to order security forces not to use firearms against demonstrators.

“There is an urgent need for the government to act” to prevent more deaths, Amnesty said in a statement.

“Security forces should use the minimum force necessary to defend themselves,” Amnesty said.

The government is sending a 35-member all-party delegation to Kashmir on Monday to seek a way out of the cycle of violence, Indian media reported.

Home Minister P Chidambaram will lead the team, which aims to meet separatists and a cross-section of local people in a bid to defuse tensions, the Hindustan Times newspaper said.

The almost daily popular protests are the largest since an armed revolt erupted against Indian rule in 1989.

On Friday, at least three people were killed and 23 injured after security forces opened fire in six places as crowds pelted troops with stones and set fire to government buildings and vehicles, police said.

Police said protesters had injured at least 20 security force personnel in stone-throwing incidents instigated by separatists.

Pakistan accused India on Friday of “brutality” over its crackdown on demonstrators in the territory, which is held in part by each of the neighbours but claimed in full by both.

The curfew has been in place since Sunday in most parts of Indian-administered Kashmir, leading to complaints of “collective punishment” from locals who have been confined to their homes and are running low on food and medicine.
DAWN.COM | World | Fresh unrest rocks Kashmir as death toll hits 100

Indians are very naive their media has kept them in dark from all those past years.
India has more army personals presence in Kashmir than collective Pak army.
Which is busy fighting terrorism, floods and about 7000km- long hostile borders.

:rofl:

and all IA does with those numbers is crush a independence movement? cool.

When I read lines like, "But who in his right mind would want union with today’s troubled Pakistan? Who wouldn’t prefer India’s success story to the Pakistani saga of national collapse?" I wonder at the utter idiocy and stark raving lunacy prevalent in quarters that come up with **** like this.

The author can stick his nonsense where the sun don't shine. There is nothing of merit here. When someone comes and sets your house on fire and claims they are reacting in "bemusement" I'll ask you then what your feelings are.

Bloody fascist.

There is one part of the separatist position that we understand. We recognise that it must be hell to live with a constant military presence in a state where citizens are subject to random police checks and where curfew is a regular occurrence. Though few of us say this openly very often, most of us are intensely embarrassed by the stories of human rights abuses and the allegations about the use of excessive force by soldiers.

I don’t think most Indians know the answer but we suspect that it might have to do with religion.

But clearly, religion matters more to the separatists than anything else. The state has three parts, all of which get the same deal from the Centre. But it is only in the Valley, which is nearly all Muslim (after the ethnic cleansing of the Kashmiri Pandits) that secession finds many takers. This single-minded pursuit of an Islamic future sets Kashmiri separatists apart from Indian Muslims who have accepted a secular polity and feel no particular kinship with their Kashmiri brethren’s political demands.
well balanced article indeed

Anyone that thinks that the situation in Pakistan is worse than India is smoking pot. Recently, one can't help but notice that there is this ludicrous sense of supremacy emanating from Indian quarters; typically the ill informed holier-than-thou types who have been raised on "shining india" posters and think that their garbage doesn't stink. These views, based on stupidity and bias, say far more about the people holding them than they do about Pakistan. This article is clearly written by one of these jackasses.

I am currently in Lahore with two American professors from one of the top 10 CS schools; they are loving every minute of it! Yes, they have been to India. And yes, they say what *every single* American guest of mine has said (and I entertain numerous business acquaintances from the US annually). 1. "What the hell is all the commotion about, there's nothing wrong here..." 2. "This is SO much cleaner than India" 3. "The roads are SO much better than India" 4. "There are SO many less beggars than we saw in India" and so on... I believe William Dalrymple, who has spent a lot of time in both India and Pakistan was quite clear on this subject in a recent talk.

So get off the high horse, or cow or camel or whatever the hell it is, and embrace reality. Pakistan has had better social and economic development indicators than India for almost 50 of the last 60 years. Only in the last 5 years has there been any difference worth pointing to. An whoever thinks that Pakistan's growth rate is permanently at 3-4% is hopelessly deluded. It will go back to 7-9% as per numerous statements by IMF experts and others. Just a few years of good performance has made some people so heady... we didn't get this high on 50 years of superior indicators. Just says a lot about the chichorapana of the lot that thinks they are something special for 5 or 8 years of better numbers in the last 60+. Classless and chichora.

I do think that situation in India is better, but not by much. The difference is mainly due to less terrorism in India. I think Indians calling India a "success story", "shining", etc, is OTT self-praising. Typically this comes from those who live in very rich urban India, or Indians living abroad who seem to think that rich Urban India = whole India, or that India's GDP per capita is like $20,000 already. Obviously media makes a difference and when you keep hearing certain things, those certain things become the reality as far as you're concerned.

I do think that situation in India is better, but not by much. The difference is mainly due to less terrorism in India. I think Indians calling India a "success story", "shining", etc, is OTT self-praising. Typically this comes from those who live in very rich urban India, or Indians living abroad who seem to think that rich Urban India = whole India, or that India's GDP per capita is like $20,000 already. Obviously media makes a difference and when you keep hearing certain things, those certain things become the reality as far as you're concerned.
i want to add few more thing along with less terrorism and i.e., good leadership, strong institutions and good image

Good image doesn't mean ****. It means perception, not reality.

Strong institutions, which ones?

Good leadership, well yes I guess, but this current leadership in Pakistan won't last.

For Pakistan, you could add things like less poverty, better infrastructure, less beggars, etc.

Last edited:
Nice way of diversion there. For a country of 1.2 billion, it's nothing extraordinary.

Back
Top Bottom