What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Whatever makes you sleep better... self-praise, I suppose, is a drug...

You have the potential to be a regional power several decades hence. If you listen your countrymen spew their grandiose delusions, it would appear India was a first world country. One shouldn't count one's chickens before they've hatched.

I will not agree with you here.If our country grows at this pace we will become a regional power in the next 10 -15 years.And i am not the one saying this.Several reputed institutions have predicted this .We require a couple of decades to become a global power however.

I will not agree with you here.If our country grows at this pace we will become a regional power in the next 10 -15 years.And i am not the one saying this.Several reputed institutions have predicted this .We require a couple of decades to become a global power however.

China is already a global power and throughout history two neighbours have never been able to attain the stature of global powers together. The neighbour who gets there first never lets it happen. So it will be with India. China will not allow you to project power globally as it is more than capable of creating enough security challenges in your own backyard (land and sea) that you will strain to meet them. Don't take this as an insult, this is just a fundamental rule of history.

If you look back to the papers written by the founding fathers of America, a key part of the discussion was to prevent geographically contiguous countries from becoming too strong because if that were to happen, the US would not be able to break-out as a global power.

In Europe too, the dominant global powers emerged when their neighbour had declined.

Don't hold your breath for India to be a global power. Ain't happenin' anytime soon.

@majesticpankaj
Pics don't prove anything, we'll have a barrage of pics about Islamabad.

My point was to counter the 'Pakistan has been doing better than India in every field for the past 60 years' misconception

Reality is before 1991 India and Pakistan we're more or less similar in atleast economic indicators, however post 1991 its a different story

There are numerous infrastructure threads here so I don't want to make this yet another, but do some searching... India's highways are nowhere near infrastructure that existed in Pakistan 15 years ago. If you are building things, do you think we are sitting on our hands? The Ring Road - a 100+ KM 6 lane absolute beauty of a freeway, with dozens of bridges, underpasses, petal interchanges and more has been built in the last 2-3 years. It is almost complete and many parts have opened up already. There is nothing like this in India, much less the M-2 and other multi-hundred mile 6-lane highways that we've had for 15+ years.
Frankly speaking i am not impressed.There are many roads in India which are a equally good or even better than the road you have mentioned.A perfect example is the Bombay- Pune expressway which is around 165 km long.I have used the road a couple of times and i know what it is. Such expressways are coming everywhere in the country.If i am not wrong a 12 lane expressway was recently opened connecting Delhi and Gurgaon. Your claim that there is no such road in India shows how little you know about India when it comes to infrastructure.

Trends_in_Poverty_-_1999_to_2008.jpg

China is already a global power and throughout history two neighbours have never been able to attain the stature of global powers together. The neighbour who gets there first never lets it happen. So it will be with India. China will not allow you to project power globally as it is more than capable of creating enough security challenges in your own backyard (land and sea) that you will strain to meet them. Don't take this as an insult, this is just a fundamental rule of history.

If you look back to the papers written by the founding fathers of America, a key part of the discussion was to prevent geographically contiguous countries from becoming too strong because if that were to happen, the US would not be able to break-out as a global power.

In Europe too, the dominant global powers emerged when their neighbour had declined.

Don't hold your breath for India to be a global power. Ain't happenin' anytime soon.
sir, we are spending only 2.5% of our gdp on our defences. GOI is not increasing that from %. so how its gonna put severe pressure on us? on the other hand, we are investing hugely in infrastructure of border area. which is good for us. thanks

people just see the images of mumbai pune expressway

mumbai pune expressway - Google Search

bangalore mysore road
bangalore mysore road - Google Search

so many dams are there in our country to provide irrigation facilities to our farmers along with generating electricity.

more are on the way
people forget about delhi and kolcutta metros, oops what what about the coming metros in so many cities ??

Nothing at all impressive about the Mumbai-Pune expressway. You are posting it here only because you are probably not familiar with the infrastructure in Pakistan with which this road compares poorly. It is a 4-lane, fairly short road with a length of only 93 km. This is shorter than the highway we have *inside* Lahore. And that is 6 lanes plus emergency lanes (1 on each side!!).

Also, please stop posting pictures of India's roads here. That is off topic and as I've said before we have PLENTY of infrastructure threads both dedicated to India and to Pakistan, and we also have comparison threads. If you post pictures of a 4 lane 93KM road, me or someone else will respond with pictures of the M2, Ring Road, ISB-Peshawar motorway (M1) or other roads and then we'll be off-topic for good.

Please search the forum to catch up with infrastructure in Pakistan. I would also recommend listening to Dalrymple's talk in which he clearly comments on the superiority of Pakistan's infrastructure.

India infrastructure boom to boost world growth: Advisor

NEW DELHI: India can showcase its massive infrastructure spending and a wider current account deficit at the next G20 summit as its contribution to reviving global economic demand, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, the deputy head of the Planning Commission said on Thursday.

Ahluwalia said India's current account deficit could reach 3 per cent in the fiscal year ending March 2011 but the higher figure could be financed by increased capital flows.

Asia's third-largest economy is looking overseas to import equipment to help build infrastructure projects worth a planned $1.5 trillion in the ten years to 2017.

Imports will likely increase in the coming years especially for higher end projects such as airports and power plants, Ahluwalia said.

"It is important for each country to say what it is going to do to stimulate demand," Ahluwalia told reporters, when asked what India could bring to the table at the November summit of the Group of 20 leading countries in Seoul.

"As far as India is concerned, we are doing exactly what is necessary to stimulate global domand because our internal strategy is based on accelerating domestic investment in infrastructure," he added.

India is planning to spend $1.5 trillion on infrastructure in the ten years to 2017 to overhaul its creaking road, railway and power sectors, long seen as a drag on growth in Asia's third-largest economy.

India's August trade deficit widened to a 23-month high, putting pressure on the current account deficit and prompting a top Indian trade official to raise his forecast for the full year trade deficit figure.

"Investment in infrastructure is more import intensive. So it is our expectation that if we follow that approach, even though exports will be a little depressed compared to what they would have been in a booming situation, the current account deficit may widen," Ahluwalia said.

"We are willing to live with that. We think we'll be able to finance it, so it's not actually a big problem, but the key to financing it is that there should be stability and an element of certainty in the global financial system, especially as far as flows to emerging market countries are concerned."

When I read lines like, "But who in his right mind would want union with today’s troubled Pakistan? Who wouldn’t prefer India’s success story to the Pakistani saga of national collapse?" I wonder at the utter idiocy and stark raving lunacy prevalent in quarters that come up with **** like this.

The author can stick his nonsense where the sun don't shine. There is nothing of merit here. When someone comes and sets your house on fire and claims they are reacting in "bemusement" I'll ask you then what your feelings are.

Bloody fascist.
So, your disgruntled view is only against this Author ? Or anyone else who does not align with your views on why Kashmir should not be United with India ? Because, what i read from the West, are all news going gung-ho about India's current role in the global world, and likewise panning Pakistan on all fronts as to how a nuisance it has become in its role as a forerunner of Terrorism.

So, Absolutely yes, India has an economic divide of herculean proportions, wherein the top 100 control about 25% of the Nation's GDP. And, yes, the Infrastructure is not something even noteworthy to come under the "Shining India" slogan (which is something i balk at). But, the reason Pakistan is considered a bad example is not due to its Roads or Number of Beggars(Poverty), it is due to its history of being a Terror factory ; The West considers (among them influential policy makers) Kashmir would go the FATA way, if ever it secedes from India. This is why, the West (not including the Media here) is largely unconcerned about the current Kashmir situation.

And yes, India's economic indicators have improved only in the last 8 years over Pakistan ; But its social indicators have been fairly better than Pakistan over the last 60 years whether be Adult Literacy, Enrollment ratio or even Access to Health is concerned.

Good image doesn't mean ****. It means perception, not reality.

Strong institutions, which ones?

Good leadership, well yes I guess, but this current leadership in Pakistan won't last.

For Pakistan, you could add things like less poverty, better infrastructure, less beggars, etc.

Do look up the latest Global competitiveness report from WEF.. Or the Forbes list

I agree that India is nowhere near the position of climbing the high horse, or camel or cow and preaching to Pakistan on social indicators, but do not discount the trend so out of hand.

Frankly speaking i am not impressed.There are many roads in India which are a equally good or even better than the road you have mentioned.A perfect example is the Bombay- Pune expressway which is around 165 km long.I have used the road a couple of times and i know what it is. Such expressways are coming everywhere in the country.If i am not wrong a 12 lane expressway was recently opened connecting Delhi and Gurgaon. Your claim that there is no such road in India shows how little you know about India when it comes to infrastructure.

It looks like you need to take a break and go do some reading.

Mumbai Pune Expressway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mumbai Pune is 93km which is shorter than highway loops we have *inside* the city of Lahore. Yawn.

When did i mention that India will become a global power anytime soon?I clearly mentioned that it will take a couple of decades.

^ Please, quit bringing in the west. By bringing in what the west thinks, you're only concerning yourself with perceptions, not what the ground reality is.

Back
Top Bottom