What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Look inside, stop blaming us: Pak replies to India

NEW DELHI: Unfazed by New Delhi’s strongly worded rebuff, Islamabad continues its unrelentless efforts to internationalise the ongoing situation in Jammu and Kashmir.

Islamabad has asked New Delhi to “introspect” on its policies instead of blaming Islamabad for the violence in the state. Pakistan’s Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said on Saturday that India “should adhere to accepted human rights standards rather than stereotypically blaming Pakistan.”

Wise to Islamabad’s efforts, New Delhi has drawn attention to the possibility of rise in infiltration and terror activity while using the violence in the state as a cover. The government has clarified that the situation in the northern state is an internal matter. India’s Army chief VK Singh warned that Pakistan might try and take advantage of the unrest in Jammu and Kashmir.

General Singh has suggested the possibility of a link between increased incidences of infiltration and the unrest in the Kashmir Valley. The Army chief’s alert comes a day after New Delhi took on Islamabad for its “gratuitous statements” on Jammu and Kashmir. In its strongly worded response, New Delhi had asked Islamabad to concentrate on dismantling the terror infrastructure on its territory and take action against cross-border inflitration.

New Delhi’s response followed by the Army chief’s comment have sought to bring the spotlight back on terror.

Islamabad has attempted through its statement on “gross and systematic abuse of human rights and Indian repression” to turn international attention on the situation in Kashmir. There has been no statements from international leaders on the protests in the state. It has been largely seen as India’s domestic concern. A fact that New Delhi made clear in its response to Pakistan foreign minister Mahmood Shah Qureshi’s comment. The external affairs ministry in its statement had said that Pakistan’s “gratuitous statements” amounted to ‘interference in the internal affairs of India”.

Mr Qureshi’s attempt to put Kashmir on the table was firmly dealt with by India.

Unwilling to lose the opportunity accorded by the ongoing violence in the Valley, the pakistani foreign office persisted in its efforts to internationalise the issue. “Jammu and Kashmir is an international dispute and the subject of several UN Security Council resolutions. Instead of stereotypically blaming Pakistan, India should undertake serious introspection of its policies that are in sharp variance to its international commitments, including adherence to accepted human rights standards,” Mr Basit said.

Look inside, stop blaming us: Pak replies to India - The Economic Times

Are you referring to this particular piece of news or the Kashmir issue in general?

My question is in relation to deployment of more troops under the present circumstances....

Indian Kashmir Death Toll Reaches 100

New violence in India-controlled Kashmir on Saturday raised the death toll at least 100 since anti-government protests began sweeping the region in June.

Government forces say they killed two people in separate incidents on Saturday.

Police killed one person taking part in a funeral procession that was defying a curfew. Thousands joined the funeral in Anantnag, south of Kashmir's main city of Srinagar. The funeral was for a man who residents claim drowned in a river after being chased by police. Authorities say police opened fire on the procession after mourners tried to set fire to the house of a pro-India politician.

Troops also opened fire on hundreds of stone-throwing protesters in Palhalan, northwest of Srinagar, killing one person.

Also Saturday, a man shot by police in clashes earlier this week died in a Srinagar hospital.

Authorities relaxed a strict curfew in parts of Srinagar Saturday, six days after imposing the indefinite order. The eased restriction allows resident to leave their homes to buy essentials.

The government has deployed the army into Kashmir as part of a joint security strategy with police to crack down on separatist protests.

Authorities fear the violence will escalate even more on September 21, when hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani has urged followers to stage protests outside army camps.

New Delhi is sending a cross-party delegation to Kashmir, perhaps as early as Monday, to learn first-hand about tensions in the region.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has accused separatists of orchestrating and inflaming some of the unrest. He has called for dialogue among all parties to bring calm to the Muslim-majority region.

Protesters are seeking to gain independence from mostly Hindu India or to merge with Muslim-majority Pakistan.

Kashmir is divided between India and Pakistan, but both countries claim the entire region.

Google News

SRINAGAR: Three more protesters died on Sunday in Indian-administered Kashmir as violence against rule from New Delhi deepened, according to police.
The protesters died in two separate hospitals Sunday after being injured on Saturday and last week in clashes with Indian security forces in three different districts of the valley, a police spokesman said.

Government forces have been battling months of violent demonstrations in the mainly Muslim region that were ignited by the police killing of a 17-year-old student on June 11.

A total of 105 protesters and bystanders —including children —have been killed, mostly by security forces firing on demonstrators after being pelted with stones. One policeman has also died.

On Saturday, police and paramilitary forces fired on fresh anti-India demonstrations in Kashmir, killing three protesters and injuring over a dozen.

Fifteen police and paramilitary forces were also injured during day-long clashes in the valley.

Authorities briefly relaxed the strict curfew on Saturday in most parts of Kashmir to allow locals to stock up on food and medicine.

Clashes erupted between Indian police and protesters at three places, police said, but no casualties were reported.

On Sunday, police sealed neighbourhoods with barbed wires and asked residents to stay indoors. “Anyone violating the curfew will be dealt with sternly,” roared announcements made by loud-speaker fitted police vehicles in Srinagar.

Scores of people at Srinagar's main hospital pleaded with security forces to be allowed to go to their homes to bring medicines and water for the patients but their pleas were ignored.

Locals living near the hospitals have been distributing free food among the attendants, while patients continue to get food from the hospital. But there are no life-saving medicines and drinking water.

DAWN.COM | World | Three more protesters die in Kashmir

What is The need for opening another thread when there is dedicated Thread already on Kashmir Violence???

What is The need for opening another thread when there is dedicated Thread already on Kashmir Violence???

Exactly. There are countless threads running on Kashmir with the same thing being discussed in many of them.

Well definitely IOK has past also which fortunately due to your occupation was very violent. Now with the same occupation in continuation and Kashmiri frustration on the boil it isn't a rocket science to understand how easy is it to make things worst in IOK. As far as Pakistan's turmoil is concern Pakistan has successfully weathered foreign sponsered terrorism in it's and can has every tendency to pay back in the same currency. With Pakistan very righteously claim on IOK, it is the best place to pay back the debt we have on our shoulders in IOK.

Bring it on my friend. ;)

If you believe India is sponsoring all the blasts that are happeneing in Pakistan these days thru TTP, then I guess you would also believe that Pakistan is losing this gruesome war of formenting insurgency with in each others' borders.

btw, since you mention Pakistan's claim on J&K being righteous, I assume you belong to majority of Pakistanis who want Kashmir as a part of Pakistan and not an independent state. Innit?

OH come one we know how strong you are. Even if we accept you are as strong as America(which you aren't), you can see what is happening to America in Afghanistan. With China's support in this region and situation very quickly changing in Afghanistan Pakistan can easily support Kashmiris independence movement in IOK in every manner. Even back than when Pakistan was supporting so called cross border terrorism in IOK Pakistan wasn't an economic giant and their was political turmoil in Pakistan. But with all this it forced it's enemies to bleed in it's rightly claim territory. In 70's we faced Balochistan problem and in 80's we forced our stinky enemy to bleed, now again we face problems in KP and Balochistan. And God knows how we might respond to our enemies when Indian will to continue it's illegitimate occupation and Kashmiri frustration add to our advantage.

That is exactly what I am trying to you and other Bharatis. IOK's supposed accession to Bharat was a blunder and should be rectified.
:azn:

As I always say, ummeed pe duniya kaayam.. So keep on hoping. I dont know whether you have read a thread called monkey trap that I posted way back in Jan 2010. Its an interesting read though is from a forum most Pakistanis love to hate. That article was written in 2001 predicting how Pakistan is going to descend into chaos if it keeps following its Kashmir policy. Present situation in Pakistan must be giving a sense of vindication to the author of that article. Give it a dekkho..

My question is in relation to deployment of more troops under the present circumstances....

If it is deemed that a growing security problem exists in a region, it makes logical sense to heighten the presence of security forces by a state. However, in a political sense it means that there is evident further deterioration in affairs and the state either feels it is falling short of arms, or is need of a greater force to clamp down-- i.e an attestation that a very troublesome situation is mounting perhaps. In the perception of those who are protesting, it would invariably be seen as a show of force and this will be the view communicated to them by their own leadership.

If it is deemed that a growing security problem exists in a region, it makes logical sense to heighten the presence of security forces by a state. However, in a political sense it means that there is evident further deterioration in affairs and the state either feels it is falling short of arms, or is need of a greater force to clamp down-- i.e an attestation that a very troublesome situation is mounting perhaps. In the perception of those who are protesting, it would invariably be seen as a show of force and this will be the view communicated to them by their own leadership.

Agree with you on all the points.my specific objection is to the AFSPA or the Armed Forces Special Power Act,that gives the armed forces unprecedented power over the civilians,kind of Marshal law.While the law is evil,but i also understand that it is a necessary evil,as it is hard for one to determine who is the one creating troubles and who is innocent.It is difficult job for the army and government of India,but then situation was far worse in not too distant past.

The situation must be brought back to normal and finally the AFSPA has to go.....

Agree with you on all the points.my specific objection is to the AFSPA or the Armed Forces Special Power Act,that gives the armed forces unprecedented power over the civilians,kind of Marshal law.While the law is evil,but i also understand that it is a necessary evil,as it is hard for one to determine who is the one creating troubles and who is innocent.It is difficult job for the army and government of India,but then situation was far worse in not too distant past.

The situation must be brought back to normal and finally the AFSPA has to go.....

I feel AFSPA must go now or degrade it a lot.It just comes with lots of disadvantages(relating to current context).I think insurgency is very less now.Army deployment needs to be on the border area more. But the present crisis is nothing related to this directly, because Army not in the scene(except 2-3 days patrolling) at all. Its all police and protesters.But the clever pak members always deliberately refer to the indian army.

Well lets not forget that in the last two years about 30000 troops both Army and CRPF were removed from Kashmir.

Recently even though the unrest is still going on, the 1500 RAF personnel have also been withdrawn. So its actually troops being removed and deployed in a cyclical pattern. But mostly its just the 50000 J&Kpolice and about 150000 CRPF personnel that do the crowd control part. This is for the entire population of 11million people

The Army is basically involved in COIN against Pakistani based militants and on the border of China and Pakistan.

Because your continuous stream of killings and massacre hasn't ended yet. So got to open new threads for it.

:)

Back
Top Bottom