What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Because your continuous stream of killings and massacre hasn't ended yet. So got to open new threads for it.

:)

Very Well then.... Since its not encouraged to do so here, I questioned, But if Rules Could be Softened for You, Then I am Helpless but watch.

I don't know how many times will i have to explain the reason.

btw, if you have checked my posts where i admit being indian, also check then my posts praising USA and bashing india. :smitten:

btw, i am ateast admitting it, some ppl here in US won't even do that. :coffee:

I am a US citizen and Proud to be one. :coffee:

You have to explain it many times.

I haven't seen those posts.But why bringing those when here in this thread your flags are saying something and your are saying otherthing.
What impression we can get.
That an indian hiding in US flag supporting some people.
For your information this is also a form of trolling.
If you are proud to be an American even if you Belongs to India.Then please dont post anything on threads related to Pakistan & India.By doing this you can favour your country alot and you can prove your loyality in front of americans that how much a Indian can love america by not indulging itself with anything related to India.

& please do point out those people.
As i know unlike you their each and every word shows that from where they belong.You know what I mean.

I think its important for India to start thinking of new routes at containing this "tamashe." Allow all Indians to live and work in Kashmir. Revoke their special status. Times have changed and tough decisions have to be made. It is not fair for the rest of India when Kashmiris can go anywhere in India to live and work. Our tactics need to change and adapt to the changing scenarios, the same way terrorists look at weaknesses to exploit any situation. Just take a look at how the West responds to riots. Sometimes even assassinations have to be taken for the overall good of the country. These separatists should be hanged or imprisoned immediately. A policy of photographing leaders and their cohorts should be taken immediately to interpret the bigger picture.

Guru ji , yeh konsi Govt karigi? None of the political parties have the guts to do this change. Muslim Vote bhi leni hai.
..Kashmir no one wants to touch. They all feel ..let the next PM take the call. If you see the photos of the roiteer's they look much more affluent compared to our poor in east , Bihar , MP and Orrisa.

All of these stone pelting boys are wearing Denim Jeans, and nice shoes. Where rest of our country is half naked.

Kashmir ka ek inch bhi azad nahi hoga. Jisko jana hai, they know how to cross borders.

Ya, maybe i should have put up a picture of a Woman telling her son and neighbour kids to stop going school and pelt stones and chant "Azaadi, Azaadi" while she talks about the latest Saas-bahu twist in the Soap she regularly watches with her fellow like-minded women intermittently motoring "Azaadi" in between...That maybe could have been a better Avatar, i guess.

On a serious note, It is a picture of a Muslim woman who dresses her son as Lord Krishna for a school function in Patna on the occasion of Krishna-Janmashtami (The Day Lord Krishna was born) ; I thought it represented a certain undercurrent of the Indian social fabric.
Bhai yeh log nahi samjhenge. They have to come and really feel India.

Agree with you on all the points.my specific objection is to the AFSPA or the Armed Forces Special Power Act,that gives the armed forces unprecedented power over the civilians,kind of Marshal law.While the law is evil,but i also understand that it is a necessary evil,as it is hard for one to determine who is the one creating troubles and who is innocent.It is difficult job for the army and government of India,but then situation was far worse in not too distant past.

The situation must be brought back to normal and finally the AFSPA has to go.....

Totally agree, no matter how much AFSPA is needed, and no matter how much it is actually put into use, these things creates a psychological barrier in getting the local people in mainstream. However we have to abide by UN resolutions and all, but if India has to work towards securing J&K's future, things like article 370 autonomy , AFSPA have to go, albeit in a phased manner.

Have recently visited ladakh, and Army in bordering areas of ladakh is opening up areas for tourists which were blocked till now, i guess its a good move of getting infrastructural inflow along with tourists, helps in prosperity and peace in the region along with our assertiveness on our land.

Although ladakh and kashmir cannot be compared for obvious reasons, but i really admire Ladakhi people, as they have created a great vibe and atmosphere conducive to tourism and that area is seeing more tourists than ever.

Well the issue is that only the valley muslims want indepednance. So its not just muslims, more specifically the valley muslims.

That in a way makes the movement weaker as it is seen as a muslim sepratist movement. Mirwaiz and other realise that and keep insisting that this movement is for all religions but the ground reality is different.

If thats the case then the indian govt will have no problem in winning a UN vote........or is that when your facts and figures for support for india fall apart.
Like i said if its just the valley muslims that are against kashmir or just four didtricts in kashmir that want to be free then its only seems logical that the indian govt will not fear losing the vote in kashmir if put to the test.

Well there are muslim majority districts in Jammu andcomprise almost 30% of the population. Similarly Ladakh is almost 45% mostly shia muslims.

The results of the survey are not new. It is the same results that we are seeing since the 2008 www.peacepolls.org or the Chatham house opinion survey.

However, we are still ignorant of any proper opinion surveys being conducted in Gilgit Baltistan to make an educated guess of what the entire historical J&K vote would look like. Maybe when GoP finally opens it up to media presence of Pakistani journalists are bold enough to that themselves will we see something.

So to put it simply......india would win a vote in kashmir if we go off your facts.

What are you scared off if your so sure your gonna win the vote?

By: Rob Brown
The Indian occupation of Kashmir between 1989-2009 has resulted in more than 70,000 deaths but there are no serious moves to delegitimize the country.

Most citizens of this country probably feel they already have quite enough on their plates dealing with Hizbullah and Hamas without pondering what’s happening way off in the Himalayas. Current events in Kashmir do, however, deserve serious consideration, if only because dark and dangerous parallels between that conflict and the Israel-Palestinian one are being drawn by global jihadists, as well as by some influential international opinion-formers who should know better.

An “intifada-style popular revolt” is how The New York Times has portrayed the latest popular uprising against Indian occupation which has swept through this predominantly Muslim province this summer, making the breathtakingly beautiful Kashmir Valley appear even more of a paradise lost. Although not clad in keffiyehs, young Kashmiri teenagers can sometimes resemble their Palestinian peers as they throw stones at army patrols and dodge tear-gas canisters on the streets of the state capital, Srinagar.

But what the world is never told by The New York Times, nor by most other supposedly liberal organs, is that New Delhi’s response to such civil disobedience has been far more savage and brutal than anything authorized in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv, leading in the past to serious armed insurrection (often incited by Pakistan).

The Indian essayist Pankaj Mishra justly observed recently: “The killing fields of Kashmir dwarf those of Palestine and Tibet. In addition to the everyday regime of arbitrary arrests, curfews, raids and checkpoints enforced by nearly 700,000 Indian soldiers, the valley’s 4 million Muslims are exposed to extrajudicial execution, **** and torture, with such barbaric variations as live electric wires inserted into the penis.”

A LEADING local NGO, the International People’s Tribunal on Human Rights and Justice in Indian-Administered Kashmir, has reported that extrajudicial killings and torture are commonplace there. It claims that the Indian military occupation of that state between 1989-2009 has resulted in more than 70,00 deaths, and many of these killings were deemed “acts of service” by India’s feared Central Reserve Police Force, leading to promotion and financial reward (bounty is paid after claims made by officers are verified, apparently).

Still, there are no serious moves afoot in editorial corridors or academic campuses anywhere in the Western world to transform India into an international pariah. No calls for boycotts, disinvestment or sanctions against the world’s largest democracy.

The deafening silence over Kashmir speaks volumes about the double standards by which different governments around the globe are judged on their human rights records.

Partly this stems from the post-imperial guilt complex which continues to afflict so many citizens of the West.

The atrocities committed by former colonies are endlessly excused by loose-thinking liberals in London and Paris, however flagrant and ugly such abuses might be. On the extremely rare occasions when repugnant regimes are taken to task, the real responsibility for their brutality is usually reported to lie with external agents.

The Pakistani Marxist polemicist Tariq Ali recently regaled readers of the zealously anti-Zionist London Review of Books with the claim that the real cause of Kashmiris’ current suffering is the ever-evil IDF. “It has been open season on Muslims since 9/11, when the liberation struggle in Kashmir was conveniently subsumed under the war on terror,” he wrote. “Israeli military officers were invited to visit Akhnur military base in the province and advise on counter-terrorism measures.”

Ali gleefully quotes the Web site India Defense, which noted in September 2008 that “Maj.-Gen. Avi Mizrahi paid an unscheduled visit to the disputed state of Kashmir last week to get an up-close look at the challenges the Indian military faces in its fight against Islamic insurgents.

Mizrahi was in India for three days of meetings with the country’s military brass, and to discuss a plan the IDF is drafting for Israeli commandos to train Indian counter-terror forces.”

The concern isn’t that such conspiracy theories are recycled on the pages of the LRB – a small, self-important literary journal – but they are also plastered across countless Islamofascist Web sites, reinforcing the dangerously warped worldview of some of the most dangerous people on the planet. In her days as director-general of the British security service MI5, Eliza Mannigham- Buller observed how jihadists are driven by “a powerful narrative that weaves together conflicts from across the globe, [including] long-standing conflicts such as Israel-Palestine and Kashmir.”

What this leading spook didn’t add is that the crazed fury which results from such communal paranoia isn’t directed with equal vehemence and violence against the various alleged perpetrators. The once heavenly Kashmir Valley has become hell on earth for many of its inhabitants, but Indians are unlikely to have to endure the same hellish condemnation as Israelis. The sole Jewish state on the planet is proving a wonderful lightning rod for Islamic militants – and their misguided liberal-leftist allies – in a way that the Indian-administered state of Jammu and Kashmir could never be.

Raw economic factors reinforce such inconsistencies.

People may be killed like poultry in Kashmir, as in Tibet, but even “progressive” Western politicians are too chicken to jeopardize their countries’ rapidly expanding commercial connections with either India or China. Of course, little Israel isn’t anywhere near as lucrative a marketplace. Consequently, a Kashmiri (or a Tibetan) life will continue to count for far less than that of a Palestinian.

The writer is a British journalism educator, currently based in Ireland, who has been a visiting professor in India and has personally observed the situation is Kashmir.

Why isn’t India a pariah state?

:)

Written in the Jerusalem Post. So now what the "zionists" write is right?

This is another example of how Israel would like to hide its atrocities in the garb of look how muslims are killing themselves as shias and sunnis. And look at the Arab-Iran conflict. What about KAshmir and Xinjiang and Chechnya? No one talks about that.

Don't look at us using Phosphorous bombs, and helicopter gunships and F-16s in Gaza and West bank because obviously the Indians are maybe doing that too? Wrong, even in the height of insurgency the Indian army used only infantry whereas Pakistan under the FCR regulations has used F-15s and helicopter gunships to fight its insurgency completely demolishing entire villages.

Pakistanis, should realise that; while not reducing the gravity of the humanitarian situation and hardships in Kashmir which is bad; comparing that with the Palestinian issue where people have been dispossesed from their land and are living in an apartheid conditions is an insult really. There is no quantum of comparison with the Palestinians. Kashmiris are not being dispossesed, they have the right to elect their leaders and send the leaders to the parliament, they can move freely throughout India without getting special permits. I could go on and on ofcourse but this should suffice for the intelligent.

Last edited:
its not just a question of being scared of the result. we might be confident of victory, but cant be sure.

i believe there are two basic arguments against a plebiscite.
1) the demographics of the erstwhile kingdom of J&K which is the territory under dispute has been undeniably changed. there is a sizable population of punjabis and pathans which has sttled in the pakistani side of the LoC. on the indian side, there has been a demographic change with several of the kashmiri pandits having left the state to live in the rest of India. also since 1989 an armed insurgency has been in place, surely not a very impartial situation to conduct a plebicide which was supposed to take place several decades ago under very different conditions.

2) India recognizes J&K as part of its territory. the constitution does not allow for any part to be given the choice to secede from the country. its simply not legal for any government to conduct such a plebiscite. and even if a special amendment is invoked to make the plebiscite in J&K legal, the law will apply to all other parts and then i will be able to sit down with my neighbors and declare my mohalla as an independent country.

Srinagar, India (CNN) -- Three youths who had been critically wounded in unrest in Indian-administered Kashmir died Sunday, and a 25-year-old woman died after a late-evening incident in the town of Sopore.

Sunday's deaths put the toll from unrest in Kashmir at 105 lives since June 11.

The Sunday-evening incident occurred when Indian security forces opened fire to quell a stone-throwing mob in Bomai village near Sopore in north Kashmir, authorities said.

A police spokesman said the woman was in critical condition when she was taken to the capital, Srinagar, for treatment but she died there.

A round-the-clock curfew was re-imposed late Saturday evening after a the curfew had been relaxed for a few hours in parts of the capital. Stone-throwing mobs clashed with security forces in some areas of the old city.

Thousands of police and paramilitary troopers are dotting the streets Srinagar to strictly enforce the curfew ahead of the crucial visit by an all-party delegation to Srinagar Monday.

Security has been particularly beefed up in view of the visit of the delegation.

The delegation, representing a cross-section of the political spectrum of India, will include India's finance minister, Pranab Mukherjee, and the Indian home minister, P. Chidambaram, in addition to representatives from the main opposition party and other parties.

The delegation, which will be in Srinagar for two days for an on-the-spot appraisal of the unrest, is likely to meet leaders of various pro-India parties.

Representatives from trade and commerce and other groups also are likely to meet the delegation.

The hard-line separatist leader, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, spearheading the ongoing agitation in Kashmir has already announced his decision not to meet the delegation, saying, "The mandate of the delegation is limited to talking within the framework of the Indian constitution."

Muslim-majority Kashmir is claimed by both India and Pakistan. India deployed thousands of troops in Kashmir to guard against what Indian leaders believe was a Pakistan-backed insurgency that began in late 1980s.

That insurgency, which India says claimed more than 43,000 lives, is no longer raging but the troops have remained and new separatist unrest broke out in June.

Geelani has scaled down his sit-in program outside army garrisons and has now instead asked people to hold peaceful protests at district levels to demand complete withdrawal of Indian troops from Kashmir.

Ali Mohammad Sagar, a senior minister of the state government, welcomed the decision of Geelani saying "it will save the precious lives."

Thousands of people joined the funeral of the three youths who died Sunday.

The three had been injured last week when security forces fired in the towns of Awantipore and Anantnag in south Kashmir and in Tappar in north Kashmir.

Aside from the 105 deaths, the unrest has left hundreds wounded, many of them critically.

Death toll in Kashmir at 105 as four die Sunday from injuries - CNN.com

02_HJ37.jpg

Iran expresses concern over Kashmir crackdown
Tehran Times Political Desk

TEHRAN -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast has expressed concern over the crackdown in Indian-administered Kashmir, in which a number of Muslims have been killed.

Cracking down on the protests will only increase Muslims’ anger, Mehmanparast said on Saturday.

Thousands of people staged massive demonstrations in several districts of Kashmir on Thursday to voice their anger over the desecration of the Quran in the United States.

Fourteen Kashmiri Muslims and an Indian police officer were killed during the protests.

Terry Jones, the pastor of the Gainesville, Florida-based Dove World Outreach Center church, had intended to set the Quran on fire on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 attacks against the United States but cancelled his plan due to international pressure and criticism.

However, a copy of the Quran was burned by a U.S. citizen on September 12.

Since then, millions of Muslims have taken to the streets across the world to denounce the desecration of the Quran.

tehran times : Iran expresses concern over Kashmir crackdown

Last edited:
Mehmanparast said that it was perfectly acceptable for Muslims to react to the desecration of the Qur'an and said countering such reactions could be interpreted as supporting acts of sacrilege.

You mean it is perfectly acceptable to burn an unrelated school just because someone threatened to burn some book half a world away?

Ohh. Press TV. They have an axe to grind.

Govt silences Kashmir press, silently

Srinagar, Sept 29: Not surprisingly though, the National Conference-Congress coalition government in Jammu and Kashmir has earned an ignominious distinction of having imposed an undeclared ban on the Kashmir-based newspapers, time and again— exactly like it imposed undeclared curfew across the Valley.
If the government has over 100 civilian killings in 100 days to its credit, it is, off late, being known for having imposed severe restrictions on publication of the Valley-based newspapers to muzzle the truth and deny people the necessary information. And this has not happed for the first time, but many times since it took over the reigns of the state.
As if humiliating, beating and abusing Kashmiri journalists was not enough, the state government has so far maintained a criminal silence over why the newspapers have been banned for the past one week in particular, and frequently in the past too.
So far even the Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, his cabinet colleagues and babus have not even bothered to look into the issue, though all of them would repeatedly beat the drum of press being the Fourth Estate which needs to be respected and allowed to function smoothly.
While all that appears to be a bunch of lies, given the ground realities, it is the journalists—the Valley-based journalists to be precise—who have to bear the brunt of police and CRPF terror on the streets. As if all this was less a humiliation, the government has issued the so-called curfew passes, which are torn to pieces by the government forces manning the roads.
On Saturday, when newspapers decided to resume their publications after seven days of undeclared ban on them, the police and paramilitary forces thrashed and abused the staffers, though they carried a valid “curfew pass” issued by the District Magistrate Srinagar. The state government’s “influence” on ground got exposed when the forces tore to pieces the “red-colour special curfew passes” and even abused those who have issued them. You can call it the uselessness of a government which is not able to control a constable on the streets! And while some journalists had a close shave at many places, the newspaper distribution was yet again disallowed, making the media organizations run in losses worth millions of rupees.
The police hassles come despite repeated, rather almost daily, assurances by the government functionaries that journalists won’t be harassed and the newspapers’ distribution won’t be stopped. The former principal secretary to the Chief Minister, Khursheed Ahmad Ganai is among the officers to give such assurances.
Ironically, the state wants its functions to be covered, caring little on how the journalists would attend the functions and press conferences. On Sunday, a cabinet minister was seen calling journalists, asking them to attend his press conference amid stringent curfew. But how it was possible, only the minister can answer.
GROUND SITUATION
On Saturday evening, three staffers of Greater Kashmir and Kashmir Uzma were ruthlessly beaten by policemen at Kaka Sarai in Old City. They were travelling in the office vehicle which was intercepted by police. The staffers were asked to show their curfew passes and identity cards which they did. So far so good. All of a sudden a policeman started beating a staffer who was admitted to the Bone and Joints Hospital after the staffers fled from the spot. This is not the first incident of its kind. The incidents are too many to be narrated on a newspaper, given the space constraints. And it has not happed with GK and Uzma alone, but with almost all newspapers, journalists and photo-journalists—but of course, barring the “darling non-local journalists” of the state government.

PGK PROTESTS BAN, SUSPENDS PUBLICATIONS
Irked by the government inaction, the Press Guild of Kashmir (PGK) Sunday strongly condemned the ban imposed by the government on the publication of Kashmir-based newspapers and other media institutions.
At an emergency meeting held here under the chairmanship of PGK president Bashir Ahmad Bashir, the members deplored the government action to create a situation under which the newspaper publication had been put to halt from September 13 to 18, 2010. “Even as some of the media houses tried to resume the publication today but a reign of terror was let loose on them making the distribution of newspapers impossible. Several journalists and workers of Greater Kashmir, Rising Kashmir, Kashmir Uzma andBuland Kashmir were ruthlessly beaten by the police and some of them were taken to a hospital,” said the PGK general secretary in a statement here. “Several thousand newspapers are lying in the respective offices as police chased the distributors and hawkers in their offices during the wee hours. This has made the intentions of government clear that it does not want that the newspapers to be published from Kashmir. This has resulted in huge losses to this industry but also deprived the masses of necessary information during this situation of crisis.”
The meeting also condemned the recent attacks on the journalists and ban of local TV news networks.
The meeting was attended by the representatives of Greater Kashmir, Rising Kashmir, Kashmir Uzma, Srinagar Times, Aftab, Uqab, Nida-e-Mashriq, Chattan, Kashmir Images, Buland Kashmir and Kashmir Life.

GOVT IGNORES SNUBS
The media in Kashmir has been gagged despite the fact that this government has been repeatedly snubbed by media commissions and organizations over the issue.
On September 17 the South Asia Media Commission (SAMC) called on the government to lift an undeclared ban on the media in Kashmir Valley. “After the recent wave of violence that took 18 lives, an 18-hour long curfew was imposed in the valley. No newspaper—English or Urdu—could be distributed in the last three days in the wake of strict curfew and security situation,” Kumar Ketkar, Chairman of SAMC and Najam Sethi, its Secretary General, had said. “Authorities have also banned local channels from airing news bulletins and ordered cable operators to take off the air all unregistered channels. The incidents of thrashing of journalists and tearing their curfew passes by men in uniform show how crippled the media is in Kashmir. Unrest should not be an excuse to restrict journalists from reporting in consequences of lack of information.”
The SAMC took a serious note of the violations of freedom of press and freedom of movement and considered suspension of publications as a blow to media rights. "We ask the government to uphold democratic values in Kashmir, and order the forces to facilitate journalists and let them perform their duties. We express our support and solidarity with the Kashmiri people and journalists and expect a democratic attitude from the government,” they added. But no action was taken.
Earlier on August 4, the Press Council of India (PCI), a quasi-judicial body issued a show-cause notice to the Jammu and Kashmir chief secretary SS Kapoor asking him to explain the curbs on publication of newspapers as well as preventing journalists to conduct their professional duties during the current phase of unrest.
The full-council meeting headed by its chairman Justice GN Ray took note of a complaint filed by three Kashmir-based newspaper organisations and an appeal issued by Delhi-based J&K journalists to intervene to preserve freedom of press in Kashmir Valley.
The Council had also taken a suo-moto notice of press reports related to thrashing of journalists. The organisations who had filed the complaint included Press Guild of Kashmir, Kashmir Press Association and Press Photographers Association. A PCI member had said the show-cause notice was first step to initiate action against authorities and officials who prevented press to perform its duties.
In a joint complaint the four leading media organisations representing over 60 newspapers, photographers and channels alleged harassment from the authorities of Jammu and Kashmir government and para-military forces particularly the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF). “Harassing journalists and forcing newspapers to suspend their publications has become a handy tool in the hands of authorities, during crises. In the immediate past it happened during 2008 Amarnath land row agitation and lately now during the current phase of agitation. Instead allowing free flow of information, authorities force people to rely on speculations and rumours, which in no way helps calming tempers or situation,” the complaint added.
Seeking immediate action of the PCI for the sake of freedom of press, the complaint mentions the sequence of events that happened in Kashmir since July 6, leading even to closure of newspapers.
In July this year a media viewed with concern the curbs on media by the Jammu and Kashmir government. The India chapter of the South Asia media commission asked authorities to restore normal functioning of journalists in the Kashmir. "The restrictions of the type announced will only prove counter-productive. As we know from our experience of the emergency period, it will not serve any useful purpose either in the immediate or long-term context," Chairperson of the India chapter of South Asia commission K K Katyal said in a statement.
On September 17, the Reporters Without Borders said, “Trying to maintain order should not be confused with preventing the media from working The Jammu and Kashmir state authorities and the security forces that are enforcing the curfew are failing to consider the importance of the local media’s work, or else there is an undeclared intention to prevent Kashmir’s media from operating during the protests.”

Govt silences Kashmir press silently Lastupdate:- Mon, 20 Sep 2010 18:30:00 GMT GreaterKashmir.com

Back
Top Bottom