What's new

Karnataka corner!

Do you guys think BJP can make a comeback in Karnataka in Lok Sabha elections

BJP's mismanagement & mishandling of Karnataka is still raw on people's mind. Should there be any gain for BJP in Karnataka, it's more to do with Modi rather than BJP. & Modi is making positive impact in Karnataka, & hopefully that will turn into votes!

@kseeker @JanjaWeed @Hermione @vivINDIAN @malgudi @bornmoron @Thirdfront

Guys, I'm not a fan of current crop of Kannada movies, but I have to make an exception. Did you watch 'Lucia'? I saw it and was blown away by how good it was! Please watch it if you can. Considering the budget of the movie and the methods employed to obtain funding, it's all the more remarkable.

[quote="Indischer, post: 5158316, member: 14944]
Guys, I'm not a fan of current crop of Kannada movies, but I have to make an exception. Did you watch 'Lucia'? I saw it and was blown away by how good it was! Please watch it if you can. Considering the budget of the movie and the methods employed to obtain funding, it's all the more remarkable.[/quote]

Don't want to sound uptight.. To be honest, can't remember the last time I watched a Kannada movie. But have watched telugu & tamil movies though. Out of all south Indian movie industries, Kannada is the least progressive as per me. However I'm sure there are exceptions.

I share the same sentiments. Which is why I wanted you all to watch this. This has definitely restored some pride back to the Kannada film industry. If you want, I can even send a link where you can watch it online(is that considered piracy in UK?)

I share the same sentiments. Which is why I wanted you all to watch this. This has definitely restored some pride back to the Kannada film industry. If you want, I can even send a link where you can watch it online(is that considered piracy in UK?)
Oh.. please do!

I'm from Kudla-Udpa region too..
We are part of Karnataka, but are we kannadigas? Very few from this region have Kannada as native language.
You mean Kudla-Udpi? Kannadiga is used for convenience outside Karnataka due the the state where we come from. I'm from Mangalore too.. & don't call myself a kannadiga, to be honest. We guys from tulunadu are called tuluva.

You mean Kudla-Udpi? Kannadiga is used for convenience outside Karnataka due the the state where we come from. I'm from Mangalore too.. & don't call myself a kannadiga, to be honest. We guys from tulunadu are called tuluva.

I was using the Mangalore-Udupi express bus conductors lingo..
Yeah. outside Karnataka, we coastal region people have to take the Kannadiga identity, except maybe in Mumbai where we have substantial presence.. Not all Mangaloreans will itentify as tuluvas too.. There are Konkanis, Catholics, Bearrys etc. too..
Wonder how the kodagus identify themselves..

@shuntmaster A very valid question. But I guess Karnataka is again a microcosm of India. Some of the smaller demographic ethnicities will have to identify with a larger demographic cousin.

As @JanjaWeed mentioned, it's not wrong to take pride in multiple identities. Though, considering that we have a substantial number of non-Kannada speaking natives in Karnataka, it would be better if the people of Karnataka called themselves as Karnatigas. :)

Yeah. outside Karnataka, we coastal region people have to take the Kannadiga identity, except maybe in Mumbai where we have substantial presence.. Not all Mangaloreans will itentify as tuluvas too.. There are Konkanis, Catholics, Bearrys etc. too..

I guess it's for this reason that a movement for separate Tulunadu is actually weaker than the movement for separate Kodagu.

That's true. But tuluvas are quite predominant in tulunadu. Again.. it's multicultural & multilingual society. No one section can claim ownership to the culture & tradition. In Mumbai people from our neck of the woods are recognized as Anna's. & people from Kodagu likes to be identified as Coorgis!

Last edited:
That's true. In Mumbai people from our neck of the woods are recognized as Anna's. & people from Kodagu likes to be identified as Coorgis!

A friend of mine from Sullia was telling recently that speaking Kannada has been the new status symbol in Dakshina Kannada as it is indicative of good education! (Kannada is taught in schools as opposed to Tulu or Beary, which are learnt at home)

It sounded strange to me, but he was defiant that it's the new trend there.

Hi guys.

How do you say hello In Kannada?

And other basic words :-)

A friend of mine from Sullia was telling recently that speaking Kannada has been the new status symbol in Dakshina Kannada as it is indicative of good education! (Kannada is taught in schools as opposed to Tulu or Beary, which are learnt at home)
It sounded strange to me, but he was defiant that it's the new trend there.

That's not correct my friend. Kannada is a compulsory language irrespective of what medium you study in. But it was never a status symbol, but a common language to communicate with people who are not accustomed to tulu. If anything... kids are going English way now!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom