What's new

Karnataka corner!

That's not correct my friend. Kannada is compulsory a language irrespective of what medium you study in. But it was never a status symbol, but a common language to communicate with people who are not accustomed to tulu. If anything... kids are going English way now!

That was what I told him too. But he was insistent, and since he was from the area & not me, I relented. AFAIK, one gets to listen to Tulu more than Kannada in those parts even today.

That's not correct my friend. Kannada is compulsory a language irrespective of what medium you study in. But it was never a status symbol, but a common language to communicate with people who are not accustomed to tulu. If anything... kids are going English way now!

Hi. How hard is it to learn Kannada?

I can understand and speak broken Tamil ( I have picked it up watching movies)

Wouldn't mind learning a few words here and there =P

That was what I told him too. But he was insistent, and since he was from the area & not me, I relented. AFAIK, one gets to listen to Tulu more than Kannada in those parts even today.

Maybe it's due to the area where he comes from. Tulu influence starts diminishing as you reach Sullia & beyond. From there gowdas take over the demography!

Hi. How hard is it to learn Kannada?

I can understand and speak broken Tamil ( I have picked it up watching movies)

Wouldn't mind learning a few words here and there =P

Can't say to be honest. I think it's easier for a Malyali to grasp Tamil rather than Kannada.

Can't say to be honest. I think it's easier for a Malyali to grasp Tamil rather than Kannada.

I have heard Malayalam is the hardest to learn among South Indian languages.

I always thought Kannada was, for some reason.

I never realised how diverse Karnataka was till I glanced at this thread.

:tup: Good luck with your corner,

Sorry, not your, but Kannada corner

I have heard Malayalam is the hardest to learn among South Indian languages.

I always thought Kannada was, for some reason.

I never realised how diverse Karnataka was till I glanced at this thread.

:tup: Good luck with your corner,

Sorry, not your, but Kannada corner

Karnataka is certainly linguistically more diverse than any other South Indian State. And personally, Malayalam shall remain in the same league as Mandarin. :lol:

@Ravi Nair @JanjaWeed @kseeker @Thirdfront

I recently came to know that Dravidian languages share a few similarities with distant Korean!
Check out a few similarities:
English Korean Kannada/Tamil

Father Appa/Abeoji Appa/Appaji
Mother Umma/Ajumeoni Amma/Ammanni
Come Wa Ba/Va
In/Inside Olla Ola/ulla

Dravido-Korean languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting......AFAIK these are the same people who branched out from India into China and then to Indo-China

I recently came to know that Dravidian languages share a few similarities with distant Korean!

Come Wa Ba/Va
In/Inside Olla Ola/ulla

I would be wary of propagating theories like this. Remember the Aryan invasion theory?

I think that historical events, or theories can act as a cipher for your prejudices.

Come Wa Ba/Va
In/Inside Olla Ola/ulla

@Indischer

There are two version Malayalam can take here for "come inside"

Ullil Va (come inside)

Or

Ullil Varu or Akathu Varu

I would be wary of propagating theories like this. Remember the Aryan invasion theory?

I think that historical events, or theories can act as a cipher for your prejudices.

@Indischer

There are two version Malayalam can take here for "come inside"

Ullil Va (come inside)

Or

Ullil Varu or Akathu Varu

That theory has been debunked already. Korean is proven now to be a part of the Altaic language family. But nonetheless, isn't it an amazing coincidence even if it is one?
There is no plausible reason for why words like Amma and Appa had to bypass everything in between peninsular India and peninsular Korea! Quite fascinating.

Is it safe to say that most malayalam words will closely resemble their Tamil counterparts?

That theory has been debunked already. Korean is proven now to be a part of the Altaic language family. But nonetheless, isn't it an amazing coincidence even if it is one?
There is no plausible reason for why words like Amma and Appa had to bypass everything in between peninsular India and peninsular Korea! Quite fascinating.

Is it safe to say that most malayalam words will closely resemble their Tamil counterparts?

Most of them, yes, but heavily Sanskritised.

Maoris are also speculated to be Taiwanese aborigines.

Interesting......AFAIK these are the same people who branched out from India into China and then to Indo-China
That was long before language was invented though(if the conventional timelines generally accepted are to be believed).

What? No Mallus? :(

Good show @JanjaWeed you guys are luckeh!

You have yourselves to blame.

Check out the names of the judges: The pageant was judged by Miss World Parvathy Omanakuttan, film director Major Ravi, Mrs. India Jeemole Jaibin, actor and fashion designer Sajimon Parayil and Media personality Toshma Biju. :-)

Back
Top Bottom